Idea for an ambitious routine

Sep 3, 2012
So I have done many different ambitious card routines, but realized that some pieces of everyone played better than others. I also found people will truly be amazed up until the third or fourth time the card appears after that they start losing interest (Diminishing marginal benefit for you economics people). So I thought, "hey, why not take the best pieces i know and put them together". So here is a routine I will hopefully be performing soon. Any feedback would be great.

Start with a signed card.
-invisible pass (deck is now upside down card on back)
-pick any card (hiding chosen one)
-turn deck over give a shuffle so not possible to know position of cards (chosen is now on bottom)
-use John bannon half gemini theory to deal down cards and have them place face up card next to chosen
.....Phase 2
-Classic marlo tilt
-card "melts through deck"
-show card via DL
-push card in
-now its on top
....Phase 3
-put card in card box
-DG box steal
-card is now on top of deck
-card box in spectators hands
-cards shuffled (card now on bottom)
-separate spectator points to any card
-Open box empty
-selected card is their card
....Phase 4 (maybe)
-Clutch routine by Oz Pearlman

So what do you guys think any suggestions for a better reveal for 3rd phase would be welcome(remember card is on top of deck). The goal of this routine is to link three or fry mini routines into an ambitious card that will fry the audience.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I really like your phase 3 idea. I would suggest making a reason to have the card put into the box. For instance although powerful in their hands, it may be stronger if you put it away because you didn't need it anymore and set the box on the table and stepped away from it a bit. Then have another card selected, you place it on top of the deck and it becomes the signed card. The box is opened and found empty.
Either way I like the idea.

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks, I guess I could have a card chosen replaced on top then box steal. But with the box steal a foward motion is needed as well as a backwards one which makes in the hands pretty easy. My only thought would then be what is the explanation for the other card? why did they really need to pick it? Just thoughts.... I think fully flushed out this routine has a potential to be almost perfect for a restaurant magician who may have to end on any note

Jul 3, 2012
Think in the presentation and in the relation between it and the method. Something most magicians forget. In terms of method the firt phase can be the most weak of all, they don't now what will happen yet, the second and third have to be very strong because now they are really paying attention( a classic pass with the card appearing face up it's good here), after that and if those phases are very well done, they will relax. I do 4 phases and the end, usually card to wallet or Kennedy Box II.

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
Your ACR routine is fan-freaking-awesome !!! :D

If you want to improve your ACR ending (phase 3), here you go:

Eventhough your phase 3 is awesome, you can make it more awesome by doing a different ending/finisher. For example, making the card vanish and reappearing in many different places. You can try a "Card to Wallet" ending !!!
...Or a "Card to Pocket" ending. Which one ever feels best :)

I like to use KK wallet. Put the wallet on top of a table, start your ACR routine, after your ACR finisher, simply vanish the card from the pack, and then make it reappear in KK. You can simply palm out the card, incase they want to check the deck to see if it really vanished and reappeared in the wallet.

Also instead of using KK, you can simply palm out the card, introduce the vanish, then grab the wallet, and while opening up the wallet, or before opening it up, secretly slide the palmed card inside the wallet. And voila !!! This is a nice idea to finish of your ACR.

I like to stick to 3 phases. The first 2 phases which are your typical ACR style. Then the 3rd phase is the cool "Card to wallet/pocket" finisher.

Fair enough !!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2012
Thank you everyone this has been a huge help! I am in the process of acquiring a card to wallet. In addition I did my first corporate holiday party walk around gig last night and used this routine. Actually S.O.H after I did the third phase i would say lets bury it nice and deep and then use a side steal from ECT to palm the card and make it appear somewhere or place it face up and do a mercury card fold to vanish it and appear it. Lets keep all this going. What do you guys think about the second phase. First one I think hits pretty hard. Second is ehh. thinking about changing to a face up change. And as for the patter of it all. I talk about how Ambitious card was a name of this trick but it's outdated because the current generation is very needy for attention. And build off there. Phase one is a face up (popular card) who the chosen one clings to. The marlo tilt and bottom to top changes are about always getting attention even when lost in crowd. And third phase was about being put away for being bad and still managing to get attention. I used this patter during my gig and it hit them like a freight train. Thanks for all the help so far! Lets keep this thing moving and make it the hardest most compact ACR yet!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results