If they're not impressed by magic, how does one change that?

Dec 31, 2015
Before I ask the community's advice. Let me explain something first. The girl that I like is not very impressed by magic. Which leads me to ask, what are the best, fairest effects that could be used to change her opinion about the art? In a way, the answers to this question are also applicable to everyone who is somewhat skeptical of the art.​

Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
I'd do something amazing on the offbeat and not present it as magic. Impress her without saying that you're doing magic.

Jun 13, 2013
Yeah like you can say something like hey i learn this little origami thing with a straw and perform token by snasminds or take a napking and perform extortion by patrick kun but change the napking to a bill

Reactions: Steven the Wizard
Oct 8, 2015
Don't ask them if they want to see a trick or tell them that your a magician. Associate it with something they like or say can I show you something it's an experiment.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Before I ask the community's advice. Let me explain something first. The girl that I like is not very impressed by magic. Which leads me to ask, what are the best, fairest effects that could be used to change her opinion about the art? In a way, the answers to this question are also applicable to everyone who is somewhat skeptical of the art.​

Then try entertaining her with magic or, better yet, your personality.

Too many performers rely on magic to speak for them. Their presentation is just "look" at what I can do. That creates a gap between the performer and the audience based on "I know the secret and you don't." It puts the audience and performers on different sides - "I fool you and you are the fool."

If you change your presentation, you can bring the audience to your side. I treat my audience like we are in it together. They laugh, they listen, they smile, the think about what I'm saying. Then, there is the point they understand what the effect will be. They think there is no way that can happen but really want to see it happen. They are hoping that I succeed and share my joy when I do. I'm always glad to work with people to develop their presentation.

With girls, sometimes it is best not to try to impress them with magic. Rather, let them like you for who you are. Be confident and happy, listen, be engaging and try to talk about things you have in common. Typically, magic is a crutch for some people - you are better to just leave the cards in your pocket and be yourself. If you perform magic, sometimes you become more interesting performing magic for others - people often perceive you the way they think others see you.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Then try entertaining her with magic or, better yet, your personality.

Too many performers rely on magic to speak for them. Their presentation is just "look" at what I can do. That creates a gap between the performer and the audience based on "I know the secret and you don't." It puts the audience and performers on different sides - "I fool you and you are the fool."

If you change your presentation, you can bring the audience to your side. I treat my audience like we are in it together. They laugh, they listen, they smile, the think about what I'm saying. Then, there is the point they understand what the effect will be. They think there is no way that can happen but really want to see it happen. They are hoping that I succeed and share my joy when I do. I'm always glad to work with people to develop their presentation.

With girls, sometimes it is best not to try to impress them with magic. Rather, let them like you for who you are. Be confident and happy, listen, be engaging and try to talk about things you have in common. Typically, magic is a crutch for some people - you are better to just leave the cards in your pocket and be yourself. If you perform magic, sometimes you become more interesting performing magic for others - people often perceive you the way they think others see you.

Good advice. As a high school student who's been practicing magic for 5 years, I find that if you present yourself solely as a magician to people, that's what they'll only see in you, and then you become a performing monkey. As realityone said, let your personality come first, and then the magic.

May 7, 2015
Some people feel challenged by magic, and don't like to be "fooled". There are several factors that make someone react this way; they feel thrust into the limelight and don't want the attention or focus on them, they don't like to 'look foolish' or be 'fooled', they like a reality that is strait forward, and the list goes on.
Lets step away from magic on this topic, because this is really about "sales" and showmanship (a.k.a. understanding human desires). That is to say people like things that are like themselves or that are like what they would like to become. So what you really have to do is connect with them on a level they understand. Which means speaking their language and creating a comfortable environment. For example: some people feel put on like the have to react a certain way. possible solution: Pull them off to the side away from others and say something like "hey check out this really cool illusion I'm working on". which in this example works because it takes pressure off and lets them inside rather than putting a spotlight on them.
Unfortunately there is no solver bullet to handle these situation, but I hope this gives you some direction.

Oct 19, 2015
Of course you have to consider, if you love something and she doesn't it may be a 'red flag' that your long-term compatibility may not work out. I have been married for over 47 years and counting. I still look forward to each day with my wife and she still amazes me in how we think and feel the same about so many things. We enjoy many of the same things...and that has been one aspect of a happy life together...

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
People have different tastes, like food, movies, etc.
The point is you may find a branch of magic which that person may respond better, still, the variables are two: one is you, one is her.
You either change presentation, or you change audience.

Last but not least: you can't make people change their mind about something; you may just let them show a different perspective about it, and let them undergo a process on their own.
But the evolution of thought remains within the person itself, you can only show your side of the world.

PS: most of the people are very narrow minded, and i'm not talking about magic, i'm talking under general aspects.
A lot will find autocritic impossible, and their mind will be stuck in their own box forever.

Jun 7, 2016
Like a lot of people have mentioned you cannot force there love of magic, and I would add you shouldn't really have any ambitions of turning her into a magician who enjoys all of the behind the scenes.

That said you can WOW the crap out of her and blow her mind until she cant stop asking herself how in the world did that just happen...

Hit her with the 'invisible deck' mind reading routine, never reveal any secrets, mystify is the key. When I have skeptics the tricks I choose are fast and amazing.

I doubt you can truly motivate someone to enjoy the art and the practice ect. but if she cares about you and youre a decent magician there is no reason you cant impress her every so often.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
MY WIFE HATES MAGIC.

We have been happily married for over 5 years. She doesn't hate that I love magic, in fact she is very supportive. She just doesn't care about it. This seemed like a negative at first, she never tried to figure out my magic, and was never too enthused by what I did.

When I perform for other people my wife is often asked, "So do you know the secrets?" She can honestly respond with "no" because she has never wised to know the secrets.

I'm fine with her not liking magic, she likes Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey. I don't really care for either.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results