Interesting Gig Coming Up

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Randy, I am not positive but apparently this company has had entertainers in the aisle way before on road trips with no hassles. I'm going to run it by my agent to make sure though. Thanks for the heads up. I'm assuming it is a big Grey Hound bus or something similar.

Right now I'm trying to make a list of angle proof effects that I can entertain with.

A little bit too late....hehehe...everybody already said what I was thinking to post..

Anyway...the only advice I can provide...is that you take some medication against movement sickness...nausea?...

Get a lot of backup effects and some extra decks...if you drop something..it´s not a good picture to see a magician trying to find a fake thumb under a bus chair...

Let us know how it goes my friend!!! and have a nice weekend!!!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Here are some of the tricks you can do standing up, with no table, that are angle proof:
- Crazy Mans Handcuffs w/ in their hands also + Stairway + Twistration + what ever you want with rubber bands
- Twisting the Aces + Daily's Last Trick
- Twilight Angles
- Invisible Deck
- Biddle Trick
- Pretty much any card force + interesting reveal (aka. Ash on the Arm or Envelope prediction)
- Fiber Optics (or any rope tricks) specially if you perform them in the front of the buss
- Almost any Sandwich Routine
- Bunch of mentalism stuff

And probably a million more. Hope that helped a little bit :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Received the "green" light today. The proposal went through for $300 cash and 4 theme park Tickets ($125). I will work the charter bus crowd for roughly two hours doing all in the hands or their hands effects. I ride rides and enjoy the park with my wife and kids til lunch. Then at lunch after the families have rode rides til lunch, I will perform a 25 minute stand up show for 45 people under a pavilion and maybe do a little balloons for the kids. Then I have the entire day with my family at the park and come home with them in my wife's vehicle.

I will definitely keep everyone in the loop...ha ha. Date is Sept. 9th so don't expect anything until a day or so after. Thanks for all the support on this one guys. It will definitely be interesting.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Dude, congrats. This seems like it would be a really interesting challenge. Keeping the interest going for everyone while not burning out in such a confined space is going to be quite tough, but I think you made the right choice in giving it a go.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I would of charged more. They're taking up your whole day and regardless of what you may or may not do during your "breaks" they're making you wait around for long periods of time.
I don't know what it's like in the US for money at the moment but I recently had an enquiry from a business for Christmas time. They're paying for my travel and accommodation for 2 nights then my fee on top of that is £600 for 3 hours each night. £600 was a discounted rate as well, it was £750 originally.

Sounds like it will be good experience though.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I couldn't really charge them more than that or the gig wouldn't have happened. I felt $300 cash and paying for $125.00 worth of tickets was fair since I'm only using 30 minutes of my day while at the theme park with my family. The other 2 hours of performing is "close up" strolling on the charter bus on the way to the amusement park. I basically get to ride rides and hang out with my wife and kids all day at the amusement park. I'm not really "waiting" around for anything. If it were just me going by myself and I didn't have my wife and kids to ride rides with, then yeah...I would have tried for $400-$500 cash and my ticket in to the theme park, because let's face it, I would have been wandering around a theme park riding rides by myself. Ugh...that would have been boring.

I'll definitely let everyone know the ups and downs of the gig. Looking forward to it.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Hopefully this won't burn you and your clients out before the trip ends. Because a 2 hour gig on a bus in that close proximity is going to cause you to run out material extremely fast.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Ha Ha...this will definitely test my limits Randy. I am going to take a small close up case on the bus with me and load it up so that I have many sets to go with. I'm sure I'll take a 10 minute break at the hour mark and drink some water and reload the pockets. I am always up for a challenge.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I did it fellas. The gig definitely challenged me and put me outside my comfort zone but it was a huge success. Instead of typing a LONG thread, I'm just going to post a video of me like Toby explaining how everything went.

Does anyone have any specific questions that they want me to maybe hit on? If so...throw them my way before Saturday. I'm going to record on Saturday.

This was a 2 hour charter bus gig followed by a half hour stand up show in an Amusement Park called Kennywood in PA.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Oops! I didn't notice your last entry Rick, but the insights I share here still apply. . . they can help with the future and help others as they get into a similar situation.

You've been given some great insights and as has been said, working bus runs and trains isn't all that odd. I've done lots or work with Amtrak and other such companies over the years but usually in the form of creating a Mystery Play scenario such as my Psychic Murder Mystery shows. But Mind Reading while on a bus, works quite well and if you stage it right, you can fill up time doing mini-Readings for guests. It's a chance for building a big reputation with a captive audience.

I bring up the Mind Reading for another reason; it packs small and plays big if you know your stuff. If you can do some basic swami work along with billets and cold reading you need little other though you can certainly toss in a few other things. If for example, you're familiar with the amusement park and the themed areas it has, you could use a system akin to Sensory Perception from Underground Collective to identify a person's thought of ride or show attraction (this is one of my biggest reputation makers).

Obviously two hours of nothing but one type of magic is going to bore folks to tears so variety is going to be your best friend. Too, you can't rotate material, you must deliver something "different" without looking as if you're repeating the same things over and over again, which can get quite tricky (no pun intended). . . I won't even attempt to suggest things in that I'm way behind the times in this area, but I would suggest that you think about creating something interactive that's akin to a mini-play that everyone on the bus can participate in. The more bits of this sort that you can throw in, the less equipment you will need to bring along and the more filler you'll have -- entertaining filler! Which means that you could use a bit of storytelling to your advantage as well. Inserting this sort of stuff here and there as you move along the time, breaks up the monotony for you and the guests.

I do have a couple of suggestions when it comes to Mentalism type routines -- get familiar with Magazine & Newspaper tests in that some guests will bring them along and too, the charter company may have such things in the seat pockets. The point being that you can do a "book test" type demonstration that does not rely on something you're carrying on your person. With this in mind, ask the charter company that's being used, if you can take a look at a bus that's set to go ahead of time. This will allow you to see first hand, the sort of things that may be to your access that can be used in routines.

You can likewise do some silly things ahead of time such as pre-setting a prediction. . .

You place an ad in the classified section of a newspaper. . . if possible, make it one that can be accessed by both, Kindle type readers as well as a physical paper. The add should read along the lines of "____ will choose the 6 of hearts". . . I would pick on the person that hired you or the main people that organized the trip and are on the bus (of course). This allows you to be more specific with the ad.

Screw up in finding the card and then, as a second thought, you remember your insurance when it comes to such things. Ask if anyone has a Kindle first. If they do then use it. . . allow that person or persons to look up the ads section, the more the merrier in that it proves that you're not tampering with the device. . . by pre-loading copies of the day's paper in the seat pockets of a few select seat areas, you are able to hand the "victim" a keep sake.

Sure, it's going to cost you a couple of bucks (probably less than $25.00) but it will ultimately deliver far more work with this client as well as their patrons.

Best of luck!

Sep 12, 2012
I think sounds like an odd gig, because I don't think many people are going to want to proceed to see magic twice. if they are sitting on a bus for a two hour ride.. How precisely would one do "wandering" magic on a bus? Do you just go from seat to seat up and down the rows? Because if that is the case it seems like it would get old pretty fast.

Gold Coast business coach

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'll explain everything in detail in the video jenfi6. Basically I had 3 sets of 3 strolling effects and went back and forth up and down the aisle of the bus. There were about 50 people on the charter bus. Each row only had 2 people per side of the charter bus so I started at the back and worked my way up to the front of the bus spending about 7 minutes for each pair of people. So the people on the bus were just seeing some close up for 7 minutes only and then seeing my half hour stand up show later on in the day 3 hours later. These were families that had young kids with them and they wanted entertainment right after the kids were finishing up their lunch.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Craig
Thank you VERY much for all of the additional ideas and concepts you provided. I'd definitely like to try some of them in the future should I get another bus or train gig. I like the idea of some type of mini-play where everyone is in on it at the same time and experiencing the story or what not.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
My question just from what you said: if you were to do it again, and would you go from back to front again or front to back and why? I can see benefit to each way.

Did you have any motion sickness?

Did the moment throw you off at all? (like cards spilling or crazy man's handcuffs being more difficult)

We're people you had just performed for trying to see more as you went forward?

Did you stand or crouch down? Did you do each side or all 4 seats in the row at once?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results