Is Card Magic Powerful?

Mar 14, 2008
Lately, there's been something that continues to bother me. I believe that card magic appears as a "trick" or "puzzle" to the spectators. Sure it's entertaining, but I feel as though they know it's just sleight of hand; therefore they can't convince themselves that they've witnessed a miracle. I also think that card magic is weak because laymen have heard the term "card tricks" before. On the other hand, different types of magic (such as coin magic) appear more organic and on the spot, giving the impression that you can make miracles occur whenever you please. In card magic, you need one specific item (the deck) to entertain. Please tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Note: I don't perform card magic, as it's just a hobby of mine. However, I would like to start performing soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
I think it depends on the trick you're performing. If you're finding the spectators card there isn't anything magic about that but if you find the wrong card and it "magically" changes into their card the effect gets better. I think that the more visual it is, the more powerful the effect is.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I think it depends on the trick you're performing. If you're finding the spectators card there isn't anything magic about that but if you find the wrong card and it "magically" changes into their card the effect gets better. I think that the more visual it is, the more powerful the effect is.

From my experience, I disagree about the statement about visualness. I have to go now however so I will post back in about 8 hours about why.

Mar 15, 2009
Minnesota
Presentation is everything. The most simple card trick can be seen as a miracle if you work with your spectators in the correct way.

You do have a point about the "impromptu" feel of other varieties of tricks, such as coin tricks. Most people carry around some change, but you will seldom find someone walking down the street carrying a deck of cards - as it's just not practical. Unless you're doing card tricks, it is pointless to carry a deck - as the only thing that you could do with it would be games, and on the street, it would be hard to carry a game out.

So, even though other tricks may feel more "impromptu" or "on the spot", if you present card tricks correctly, they can be just as or more powerful than other varieties of tricks.

Jul 13, 2009

You kind of answered your own question so yes I agree with you and yes I disagree with you. Card tricks can play huge, monstrous if presented right. I use a simple double lift to fry spectators all the time. Sorry tooting my own horn a bit, back on topic.

If you find a card there are plenty of powerful moments it just depends on how you find it. Use a key card browse through the deck and pull out there card could have an impact, but find there card using scent alone or a finger print would play harder. You don't even need any additional props, just change up the handling of the key card and add a bit of patter other then "pick a card...put it back in the deck...let me search for your card...is this your card?"

If you made it through that paragraph you may have figured out that PRESENTATION is everything and this kind of goes hand in hand with the the emotion thread which you can currently find on the front page of this site.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
First off, get the idea of a card trick being a miracle out of your mind forever

2ndly, it matters in the style or effect you are performing. Deviant Behavior by Sankey (off of Front Row) is entirerly different from my finale Gazzo's Tossed Out Deck.

One is more of a trick or puzzle than the other. Deviant Behavior is presented by me as almost a puzzle, but an effect where you are letting them in on a secret that doesn't exist for the effect.

Gazzo's Tossed Out Deck is a mind reading effect. It's not a miracle, it's just mind reading to the audience, there's no other way to describe it

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
It all depends on what trick you perform and how you perform it. If you perform a trick for someone and you say stuff like "Yeah I've been practicing this for weeks!" Than they know that it's a "trick" not Magic, so it is all dependent on what you do.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Don't ask if a trick is powerful. The question is, if your performance is powerful.

Very good point.

But some card tricks are very lackluster and alot of times the performer is too.
The usual card tricks I see allllll start the same way. "Pick a card..put it back in."
I absolutely hate that line.
Personally I try to do away with performing ANY form of card location trick.
I make the use of cards incidental. As a better way to illustrate my point.
The presentation for Stigmata for example,is terrible nowadays.
They give their audiences nothing.No drama around the fact that the blood underneath your skin just formed words.

I don't perform card magic, as it's just a hobby of mine.

Since it is a hobby, I don't really see the point in you diving so hard into performance theory. A card trick, a coin trick, or anything else available to the general hobbiest and collector should be suitable for your casual and occasional performance needs.

You are asking if the glass of wine is either half empty or half full. I'm asking you if you're even old enough to be drinking that wine.

I think the bigger question is: Do you plan on moving your magic further than "just a hobby"?

jr?

Apr 3, 2009
leeds and halifax
www.jrmagic.co.uk
yes if you see the light that the lord has put in your hard and the mind he gave you an the book to use . you no a lot about the 52 that you have in your hand bec you use then all the time. you might say we are a dr who fan but we fan the cards all the time to see what new things we all can come up with . with out get seen with in this world of magic. the voice of the cards is so fun to use. if you like some to look at you ! we all had council with in powerful card magic of the past . by jr?

May 1, 2009
UK
If you look at Card Magic the way you have described, your also looking at Coin Magic or magic in general the same way. Yes Card Magic is powerful, when performing the right effects.

Sep 1, 2007
Is card magic powerful? It can be! Will they believe that you are a REAL magician or have REAL powers? No!

Mentalism or spontaneous magic can make people belive you have powers.

Mentalism speaks for itself. Magic though, make something like a pencil float up to your hand when in class. Just do it! Someone will notice and ask you what you just did or how you did it. Reply with I don't know or something else mysterious.

Think about it... would a REAL magician waste his time making a card rise to the top of the pack? No! He would use his powers in ways that make since. Oh, I dropped something. Floats back up to hand. That's magic!

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
All i really do is card magic... to many of my close family members... dad and step mom it is just a card trick because i practice on them so much. just the same trick after the same trick. but to my mom seeing i dont see her often can really blow her out of the water, especially if my performance and patter is good. same with people i dont see everyday... friends parents friends. i can really mind blow them. i see it in there reactions and what they say.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results