Is it wrong to keep a secret from the magic world?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
A lot of times in trailers for products, you hear people say "I have been working on this selfishly for myself for [insert large sounding number here] years, and I am finally releasing it to you guys", or something along those lines. My question is this:

If one were to spend a long long time on an effect or method that they personally created just for them selves, and they love performing with it, is it somewhat their duty as a magician to release that effect eventually? Is it wrong of them to keep it a secret?

Yes, it is their creation that they have raised up, and they can choose what they want to do with it. That's not the problem here. On the one hand, it is their own personal creation, they probably want to keep it personal. After all, how would you feel if you created something amazing and took special care of it, only to see someone using it completely wrong (compared to what you had envisioned). On the other hand, not releasing it would be stopping the magic world from building upon the creation.

What are your thoughts?

C J

Nov 29, 2017
In most cases, I think its fine, at least in my eyes it is mainly because that means that they have perfected the trick and can truly give you an intricate guide as to how you can do the move. They might have found small things they learned years after making the trick that made it way better. I don't think its greedy in most cases because they want to provide the best possible guide to help you.

Aug 15, 2017
A lot of times in trailers for products, you hear people say "I have been working on this selfishly for myself for [insert large sounding number here] years, and I am finally releasing it to you guys", or something along those lines. My question is this:

If one were to spend a long long time on an effect or method that they personally created just for them selves, and they love performing with it, is it somewhat their duty as a magician to release that effect eventually? Is it wrong of them to keep it a secret?

Yes, it is their creation that they have raised up, and they can choose what they want to do with it. That's not the problem here. On the one hand, it is their own personal creation, they probably want to keep it personal. After all, how would you feel if you created something amazing and took special care of it, only to see someone using it completely wrong (compared to what you had envisioned). On the other hand, not releasing it would be stopping the magic world from building upon the creation.

What are your thoughts?
I think it is definitely NOT wrong.
Because, as you said, people may not value it and use it and present it as their own creations.
Honestly I have seen the EXACT same method employed for exact same effects, one of them called the ''perfected one'' just because that one has included a false shuffle and the "orginal" did not.
And I don't think magicians have intellectual rights, so...it is legal. It may be MORALLY UNETHICAL, but who cares about that now-a-days!!

So it is okay to keep it as your own for as LONG as you want.
And am sure those who do that WILL ultimately expose it in a magic book or DVD or something. Why?
Because they want to leave their mark, their legacy.
So that's why people ultimately release that. They may also release it if they feel they have had enough fun with it and stuff.
So of course magicians can keep secrets from the magic world!Rest assured no one wants to be forgotten, so they will release the method in some way or the other before dying.

The ONLY thing to worry about is if someone ELSE has the same idea as you and releases it before you, you will curse yourself for your whole life!
XD
But if someone is prepared to risk that, I guess it is completely okay, legally AND morally.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
No. It's not wrong. If someone creates a routine they are under absolutely no obligation to teach it to anyone else, ever.

I have routines I don't even like to perform around other magicians, and I have several I probably won't ever teach unless I completely stop performing them. I am not ready to see them butchered by folks who are not prepared to do it right.

Legacy is one reason to publish material, but another is to have a passive stream of income. If someone has good material they're not using, why not publish it to have it continue earning them money? As folks get on in life they're going to be less able to provide a quality performance, so selling the secrets to their methods can be a way to transition away from the (sometimes grueling) gig life. Most of the things I plan to release will not be my mainstay show pieces. It will be things I have performed and enjoyed doing but which aren't what I'm really known for.

The current status of the magic community is very geared towards selling things to other magicians. That's the easiest way to make money as a magician, honestly, because it just means coming up with a consistent flow of novel ideas and putting them together in an attractive format. You could, in reality, do that job without ever leaving your house.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Dec 29, 2017
No. It's not wrong. If someone creates a routine they are under absolutely no obligation to teach it to anyone else, ever.

I have routines I don't even like to perform around other magicians, and I have several I probably won't ever teach unless I completely stop performing them. I am not ready to see them butchered by folks who are not prepared to do it right.

Legacy is one reason to publish material, but another is to have a passive stream of income. If someone has good material they're not using, why not publish it to have it continue earning them money? As folks get on in life they're going to be less able to provide a quality performance, so selling the secrets to their methods can be a way to transition away from the (sometimes grueling) gig life. Most of the things I plan to release will not be my mainstay show pieces. It will be things I have performed and enjoyed doing but which aren't what I'm really known for.

The current status of the magic community is very geared towards selling things to other magicians. That's the easiest way to make money as a magician, honestly, because it just means coming up with a consistent flow of novel ideas and putting them together in an attractive format. You could, in reality, do that job without ever leaving your house.

Truth. However there is a staggering amount of laziness out there on the market. Picture this- The trailer opens up, hard cuts and harsh lighting to dramatic EDM. You see some shuffles and flourishes and then the routine. Marketed as “AMB1TION”. You spend $5 out of curiosity and then realize you just bought an ambitious card routine that uses a technique from the classic or older books mishmashed together. Original? Sure. But your honest value for the money is learning the techniques to cannibalize and make your own routine.

Innovation is difficult, Repackaging is easy.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That's actually a totally different topic, but OK.

Yes, there is a lot out there that is rehashed. I have a modest magic library. I am willing to bet that 99% of what has been published in the last year, is based off stuff in maybe 10 books. Those books have all been in print for decades.

If you read Expert at the Card Table, you'll see the basis for so many moves.

It's extremely difficult to come up with something new these days. Some of the most intelligent and/or creative people in history were magicians, so largely we're standing on their shoulders, tweaking their work for a modern audience, until something comes along occasionally to throw something genuinely new out there.

The magic community is extremely geared towards itself. Selling products to other magicians is seen as a way to gain prestige and reputation. Until that changes, the market will always be mostly junk that is rehashed from other junk.

Dec 29, 2017
That is a fair point, and I did derail a little bit. I’m mostly thinking of the saturation of repackaged sleights/tricks/gimmicks when you brought it up as a main source of income. 10 books from the last century and you’re probably able to replicate if not recreate a lot out there.

But there are game changers as we know and whether or not the person keeps the secret, I feel, depends on a few of factors. Someone working will hold on to their unique idea and rightfully so. Much like you said it would be well after you’re done with it.

Sharing it diminishes its effect and also creates the fun situation of whoever does it biggest, best and well known will get known for it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results