Is this a good set for walk around magic?

Jul 31, 2015
the set would include :

Card trick (ACR)

French kiss by WH with Buisness cards

CMH

Borrowed/signed Bent Coin

&

Mind reading trick with business cards

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The only way to really know is to try it and check the reactions. I would close the set with French Kiss for 2 reasons: 1. It is very hard to follow, with ANY magic trick 2. It leaves them with a business card

Also, how long does it take you to get through the routine?

Jul 31, 2015
The only way to really know is to try it and check the reactions. I would close the set with French Kiss for 2 reasons: 1. It is very hard to follow, with ANY magic trick 2. It leaves them with a business card

Also, how long does it take you to get through the routine?

Thanks for ur reply and tht is true to close the set with French kiss becuz it is hard to follow

The reason I choose these tricks is becuz I get the best reactions out of them, from everything I do so I knew they will all kill. And I figured puttin them into one set will just blow people's minds

On how long it would to take to get through the routine I'm not sure becuz I have only performed them Indiviually

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Thanks for ur reply and tht is true to close the set with French kiss becuz it is hard to follow

The reason I choose these tricks is becuz I get the best reactions out of them, from everything I do so I knew they will all kill. And I figured puttin them into one set will just blow people's minds

On how long it would to take to get through the routine I'm not sure becuz I have only performed them Indiviually

I would try to rehearse it all together the way that you want to do it. You can then figure out if hey flow well together. After that I would time it. For walk around a typical performance can be anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes.

It's good that you use strong material. What is CMH? I'm having a hard time figuring out the acronym. Some guys will perform a whole bunch of mediocre tricks for one group, I prefer to do one or two very strong tricks.

Jul 31, 2015
I would try to rehearse it all together the way that you want to do it. You can then figure out if hey flow well together. After that I would time it. For walk around a typical performance can be anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes.

It's good that you use strong material. What is CMH? I'm having a hard time figuring out the acronym. Some guys will perform a whole bunch of mediocre tricks for one group, I prefer to do one or two very strong tricks.

CMH = crazy mans handcuffs

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
What would b a good order for these tricks:

1. Crazy Mans Handcuffs
2.Ambitius Card Routine
3.Bent Quater
4.French kiss with Buisness card
?

I like that order a lot. I might trade the middle two tricks or only perform one of them but I'm sure that you could do that order and have a lot of success.

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
I always keep my close-up/walk-around sets to three tricks.
Opener - visual, not cards
Middle - usually cards, no signing
Closer - something with a signed card or a borrowed object
This is just me though. I only found this framework by actually doing walk around gigs (and my reading Jamie D. Grant's book).

Jul 31, 2015
I always keep my close-up/walk-around sets to three tricks.
Opener - visual, not cards
Middle - usually cards, no signing
Closer - something with a signed card or a borrowed object
This is just me though. I only found this framework by actually doing walk around gigs (and my reading Jamie D. Grant's book).

So something lik
Opener - CMH
Middle - ACR
Closer - borrowing bent quater

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I can't post much at the moment and there's some great advice so far. For me you really meet to time yourself with each of these and build sets that fill about 7 minutes (probably 2-3 effects as mentioned) then try to make 3 sets that you can use (it's okay to use one effect in more than one set). And if you do use really different effects (like CMH and a coin bend for instance) then make sure that your presentation can really tie them together somehow so it makes sense in the presentation.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My preferred set up would be this:

CMH
/ \
ACR Bent Coin
/\ /\
French Kiss or Mentalism with business cards
This allows my set to change according to my audience and either way I end with giving a business card.

Sep 2, 2015
My preferred set up would be this:

CMH
/ \
ACR Bent Coin
/\ /\
French Kiss or Mentalism with business cards
This allows my set to change according to my audience and either way I end with giving a business card.
I wouldn't necessarily start out with CMH, just because it doesn't feel like a strong trick to spectators. Even if you include them, (I believe it is a Michael Ammar idea, but I don't know for sure) there is still a lack of reactions. It seems to be more of a puzzle then magic. I suppose it's possible to pull it off, but it depends on the situation. Making it look magical can be very angle sensitive. I might start out with it, but not only in some situations.

I wouldn't necessarily start out with CMH, just because it doesn't feel like a strong trick to spectators. Even if you include them, (I believe it is a Michael Ammar idea, but I don't know for sure) there is still a lack of reactions. It seems to be more of a puzzle then magic. I suppose it's possible to pull it off, but it depends on the situation. Making it look magical can be very angle sensitive. I might start out with it, but not only in some situations.

Personal experience means I really don't agree with this. People LOVE Crazyman's Handcuffs. It's incredibly strong. I always start with it. Very often, in casual situations, it's the only trick I do. I have shown work colleagues/friends etc many tricks over the years, and the only one I ever get specifically requested is 'that rubber band trick'. The killer part is when you do it in their hands. Don't ever leave that part out!

Not sure where your getting angle issues from either, it's pretty much a perfect, no effort, angle proof close up trick.

What I often do, is leave the bands around the boxed pack of cards. Then, if I am going to show something, I'll toss the deck on the table and say 'have you ever seen people do magic with these before?' People assume you mean the deck and say 'yes'. I then go, "No, not the cards, these...' and pull the bands off the deck. This creates interest. You're all of a sudden doing something unexpected. Everyone has seen a card trick, very few people have seen a rubber band trick. That way, at least in their eyes, I am 'something different'*

Another thing is I just leave them on my wrist (like a lot of magicians do). Lay people then often ask what they're for. I say 'magic'. I've never not been asked to do a trick after saying that!

Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion about CMH, but just a few thoughts...

Rev

*yes, I know I'm not the only one who does rubber band magic, but how much of it do you think layman have seen!

Reactions: Believe-In
Dec 5, 2013
Boston
Rev hit the nail on the head here. I use CMH as an opener in walk around all the time. I have found it to be very strong. And I'm not sure what angles you are referring to because CMH can be performed surrounded in my experience. I will usually do the unlink in my hands, then once with them holding one of the bands, then I do broken and restored band, a-la Michael Ammar.

Jan 17, 2015
Some people think rubber band magic isnt very strong because they are very good at cards, but rubber bands are actually very very strong because it's something they could relate to but it's something unexplainable.

Unlike card, coin or rope magic, it isn't so easy to say "you switched/hid/palmed/held a break".

Especially when everything is so clean.

Apr 21, 2015
Tarzana, CA
Now, there are a multitude of opinions on CMH, but from my experience, its just not that strong. Touch is an example of great rubber band magic, but i've tried other tricks, and they don't seem to work. A sandwich effect is always good to use. The two card monte is personally on of my favorite effects of all time. in order to make it stronger, change the original two cards into jokers, instead of just 2 random cards. If you have time to set up, Angle Z is an amazing opener because after the trick is over, you can throw away the rip and you're left with a clean deck.
Do what works best for you, and what generates the best reactions.
-Gabe

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results