Is this an illegal bootleg of Sleeping Queen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you even want to buy magic DVD's on Ebay?! It's just stupid..
And you say that it says "No cover" on the page. Well, then why buy it? Doesn't that strike you as maybe just a liiitle bit fishy??
Why not buy it from the real stores? As Cedril said, obviously you were "up to something"..
PS.: Always check the sellers reputation, reliability, and other auctions/items..
i concur.....

May 4, 2009
What are you talking about? I was trying to buy a used copy. That is no different that someone selling the DVD at a garage sale, or record stores that buy back used CDs and have a used rack.

technically you got it on e-bay which is the enternet version of a bargain basement store...you obviously wanted the DVD without going to Ellusionist, or any of those site in which you noted.

what i'm saying is, you wanted a cheaper price than any legit store sell it for, which is in itself underhanded, so if this seller is giving you all of the contents that the orginal DVD has, then you should have no complaints because if you expect real stuff, buy it from the companies that you know sell the real deal...

deep down, if you are gonna call him guilty, then so are you. don't get mad at this seller for doing business. You can't expect gold from a bum on the streets and expect to pay less for it. Life don't work that way, and people don't work that way.

Thats just like downloading movies and music and expect to get the same quality thats on the real album...GO AND BUY IT FROM THE REAL STORES!!! You were obviously up to something, if not, you would have went to E or Penguin.

You got the DVD, the method, In his/her case, the cover, what else do you want???

but how much realistic quality do you espect to get at a garage sale??? Are you telling me that you can go and buy authentic versace at a yard sale????

My point right there, i'm not clowning you, but E-bay sellers are not the most credible sources. Last that i check E,PaperCrane, and Penguin are not sold out of this effect.

I know you were looking for a cheap price or maybe not, i only hope so. Don't expect to get a used copy of something and expect great results. IF it happens, then thats just icing on the cake. If not, then tough. IF its a copy and not the actual factory made DVD that was advertised and displayed buy his name, then you have no complaints.

If it was the actual factory made DVD posted, then you can settle this by complaining to e-bay...

i happen to live in the same world that allows football players to kill someone in a car accident, but rarely get time, and the guy that has killed dogs get more time....

what world do we live in???

Mar 12, 2009
What are you talking about? I was trying to buy a used copy. That is no different that someone selling the DVD at a garage sale, or record stores that buy back used CDs and have a used rack.
Isn't reselling actually kind of pirating + making money from it?
I mean, if I bought Sleeping Queen, watched it, learned it, performed it. Then figured, "hey, I wanna make some money" and then sold the DVD to someone else, who then watch- learn- and performed it, and sold it again and so on, the guy (Dan Hauss) that has to make a living from it, would make no money.
I actually think it is extremely disrespectful to the creator, and I reaaally hope you guys do to..

May 31, 2008
i happen to live in the same world that allows football players to kill someone in a car accident, but rarely get time, and the guy that has killed dogs get more time....

what world do we live in???

Dog fighting is intentional and a felony. Accidents are unintentional and not even misdemeanors.

Intetnions

its not my intention to dog you, sir all i'm saying is there won't be much resolve, don't mean to come off as a jerk, but thats the truth. I am in no way talking againt you, only letting you see how crooked our legal system. I hope you get this resolved and be happy with your purchase so, if i'm coming off as a jerk....sorry...not my intentions....

Sep 7, 2008
Selling used items that are original is not illegal. It's perfectly ethical too; the Magic Cafe actually has a whole section where you can buy/trade with other magicians. Other forums have the same feature.

When you buy something off Ebay, you expect it to be an original, legal copy. It may have some scratches on the disc, mainly because it's been used, but nobody expects to get a pirated copy. It's not okay to sell those on Ebay in the first place.

Whoever is saying that he deserved to get a pirated copy because he didn't buy from the original creator is full of crap. If you bought something, realized it wasn't for you and you couldn't put it to use, you would want to sell it. People sell things on Ebay for cheaper, and people like to look there before they buy directly from a magic shop. People work hard for their money, and want to put it to the best use possible.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
IF its a copy and not the actual factory made DVD that was advertised and displayed buy his name, then you have no complaints.

If it was the actual factory made DVD posted, then you can settle this by complaining to e-bay...

Am I missing something?
Making copys of a any copyright DVD and selling them is obviously and ridiculously illegal.
If you make e-bay aware that he is doing this then they can and will stop him.

Am I missing something?
Making copys of a any copyright DVD and selling them is obviously and ridiculously illegal.
If you make e-bay aware that he is doing this then they can and will stop him.
thats what i said....if it was the legal copy advertised...and he sold a fake...then boom..u got him...

if not, then you have nothing, but being and accessory to the fact....

Sep 7, 2008
thats what i said....if it was the legal copy advertised...and he sold a fake...then boom..u got him...

if not, then you have nothing, but being and accessory to the fact....

Even if he didn't describe it as an original, and said nothing, the buyer is expected to receive a legal copy. IT'S ILLEGAL TO SELL OR MAKE A PIRATED DVD, EVEN IF YOU DON'T CLAIM IT TO BE AN ORIGINAL.

Mar 12, 2009
If you bought something, realized it wasn't for you and you couldn't put it to use, you would want to sell it.
Tell me please, how do you know whether the seller realized it "wasn't for him" or he just wan't to make a quick buck??
Also, on the back cover of all DVD's (unless there's some weird one's out there) it says something in the lines of: "The product is authorized for private use only. All other rights reserved. Unless expressly authorized in writing by the copyright owner. Any copying, exhibition, export, distribution or other use of this product any any part of it is strictly prohibited"
So how can you say that reselling it prefectly fine? Especially being a magician and knowing how small our community is and how hard the creators that has to make a living selling these DVD's work.. I mean. Seriously, what is going on here?! Suddenly pirating is ok or what?!
When you buy a magic DVD, you pay for THE SECRET. Therefor, it is wrong to resell it.. That's the reason you can't return a magic DVD to the shop. No matter if you can put your new material to use, you know the secret. And it shouldn't be re-sold..
Please guys, contribute to the community. Pay the creators. Stealing is bad..

May 4, 2009
The sale of used DVDs and CDs is an important part of that market place. It increases the value and appeal of the item when you buy it.

Surely everyone on here knows of at least one person who buys extreme amounts of CDs and/or DVDs. I have lnown many extreme examples. People who spent every penny they could get on CDs. Then periodically they take a bundle of them to (particularly the independent neighborhood record stores), and get trade in value or a small amount of cash for each one. The store then has a used rack. Many college neighborhoods have an entire store of just used CDs.

These people are the life's blood of the DVD/CD market place.

I absolutely guarantee that there are people buying every other magic DVD that comes out. Then after they sit around a while, they sell them used. There are people who sell lots of 20-30 magic DVDs at once on ebay. These are all legitimate legal copies that the magic stores made money on. If these fanatically buyer were unable to sell them used, they would buy fewer new DVDs.

Not to mention the fact, even if every magic DVD you bought was used, you still have to go to the magic stores to get black decks, gimmicked decks, card clips, loops, and other materials.

Not to mention that even a person buying used DVDs on ebay, still has to go to the magic shops to get new releases or any DVD they want right away.

What comes up used on ebay is total potluck and much more older releases than newer stuff.

I run a business myself, I know all about retail.

As a final note, I bought a lot of 10 used magic DVDs on ebay a while. Got a huge bargain. The main reason I bought the lot was because it included all three volumes of loops and extreme beginners. There were five DVDs I really wanted. The other five were ones I never would have purchased otherwise. Then after I started watching the loops and extreme beginners DVDs I immediately bought more fancy decks and loops. So guess what. More retail sales for the online stores as a result of purchasing these used.

Sorry if I've doubled posted here, but why is selling DVDs on eBay illegal? If it was, it would be dealt with.

Type "DVD" into an eBay search, and find out how many results are returned.

Interesting.

-Sam H

May 4, 2009
"Distribution" has nothing to do will selling the entire product used.

Tell me please, how do you know whether the seller realized it "wasn't for him" or he just wan't to make a quick buck??
Also, on the back cover of all DVD's (unless there's some weird one's out there) it says something in the lines of: "The product is authorized for private use only. All other rights reserved. Unless expressly authorized in writing by the copyright owner. Any copying, exhibition, export, distribution or other use of this product any any part of it is strictly prohibited"
So how can you say that reselling it prefectly fine? Especially being a magician and knowing how small our community is and how hard the creators that has to make a living selling these DVD's work.. I mean. Seriously, what is going on here?! Suddenly pirating is ok or what?!
When you buy a magic DVD, you pay for THE SECRET. Therefor, it is wrong to resell it.. That's the reason you can't return a magic DVD to the shop. No matter if you can put your new material to use, you know the secret. And it shouldn't be re-sold..

study law....there are loop holes that can have a murder caught on camera overturned.....

May 4, 2009
Even if he didn't describe it as an original, and said nothing, the buyer is expected to receive a legal copy. IT'S ILLEGAL TO SELL OR MAKE A PIRATED DVD, EVEN IF YOU DON'T CLAIM IT TO BE AN ORIGINAL.

Also, as to the question why didn't I think it was suspicious that the DVD had no case? The answer is simple. I didn't read the description. When the DVD arrived with no case it was a total surprise.

I saw the picture. I looked at the opening bid. I looked at the cost of shipping. I assumed that since the picture showed a DVD and case, that is what it was for. I entered a max bid. That was that.

Even then, someone could be selling a legit copy with no case. I personally throw away the case and booklets for all my CDs. I keep them in little CD carrying books and throw everything else away. I don't have a big DVD collection, so I keep the in the original cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 12, 2009
The sale of used DVDs and CDs is an important part of that market place. It increases the value and appeal of the item when you buy it.
Sorry if I am misunderstanding this, but are you saying that used DVDs are more worth than new ones?

Surely everyone on here knows of at least one person who buys extreme amounts of CDs and/or DVDs. I have lnown many extreme examples. People who spent every penny they could get on CDs. Then periodically they take a bundle of them to (particularly the independent neighborhood record stores), and get trade in value or a small amount of cash for each one. The store then has a used rack. Many college neighborhoods have an entire store of just used CDs.
What is your point?

These people are the life's blood of the DVD/CD market place.
Yes, the users on a torrent site are also the "life's blood of the torrent site". Again, what is your point?

I absolutely guarantee that there are people buying every other magic DVD that comes out. Then after they sit around a while, they sell them used. There are people who sell lots of 20-30 magic DVDs at once on ebay. These are all legitimate legal copies that the magic stores made money on. If these fanatically buyer were unable to sell them used, they would buy fewer new DVDs.
Yes, you are right, the magic stores made money on them by selling themthe 1st time, but do they make money when they are sold the 2nd time, as a used item? No, they don't. Don't you think they should?!

Not to mention the fact, even if every magic DVD you bought was used, you still have to go to the magic stores to get black decks, gimmicked decks, card clips, loops, and other materials.
Oh, dear lord! You have got to be kidding me!! HAHA!
And that makes it alright to buy the DVDs used? Because oh yeah, the magic community would DEFINATELY be running if every DVD was pirated and people would only buy loops and cards. Dude, who would be releasing all the cool effects if people are only pirating or "trading" the DVDs? The creators would get no money, they wouldn't wanna be a magician, they would have to take a job at Mc Donalds instead. Enough of all this jibber-jabber. The creators should get PAID for their creations. NOT the lousy 12 year old kids that want to make some money by selling their old DVDs.

Not to mention that even a person buying used DVDs on ebay, still has to go to the magic shops to get new releases or any DVD they want right away.
What is your point again?

I run a business myself, I know all about retail.
And obviously NOTHING about ethics, the magic community, and the fact that the full-time magicians should get paid for their released effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results