Kid Show Effects...

Sep 1, 2007
For everybody who says kids are demons: they aren't. You are obviously just not good with kids. Professional or not, you can tell me all you want that I have no idea what I'm talking about. You may be amazing at magic, but don't know how to handle kids.

Too true.

Sure, you'll occasionally get the one spoiled brat, but those are the aberrations and not the norm. Much like the drunken frat boys who try to snag your props out of your hands when you're not looking. Just learn how to handle people and quit whining.

I would not do linking rings. You need something that will involve the kids a bit more. There's a variant on the Gypsy Thread taught on the World's Greatest Magic series using several yards of colorful yarn developed for audience involvement during busking. Might be worth looking into.

I have an effect (I don't perform it anymore) wherein I take a tissue, blow my nose into it, and a green ribbon rolls out all the way down to the floor. Hands and tissue are both empty beforehand. Makes for a fun little gag.

A variant on the Miser's Dream with candy perhaps...

Hey thanks for the advice Alexander. I'll look into those. Mt linking ring routine does involve 1 or two kids with me thoguh. And I make it funny for the kids and allow them to play with the rings and touch them. Without revealing of course.

Mar 9, 2009
For everybody who says kids are demons: they aren't. You are obviously just not good with kids. Professional or not, you can tell me all you want that I have no idea what I'm talking about. You may be amazing at magic, but don't know how to handle kids.

Get them on your side, if they're your FRIEND they'll respect you more, and you'll have a lot more fun with them. Plain and simple, set some rules at the beginning. The magic won't happen if anybody shouts you know!

My 8 cents.

I agree. When I said they were demons I meant this. If it's your first show with kids, it might be the greatest challenge you've had. They get antsy, want a fast paced show, and want to participate. Obviously they aren't demons if you can control them. I can now(or at least that's what I think) but at first I had no idea how to keep them sitting still and watching. Kids are demons in the sense that they intimidate a lot of first timers because of their short attention span and many "needs". They don't want or have to be demons though, because all they want is an amazing show.

I appreciate your 8 cents, and that's my addition, so I think we're at 10 cents worth of opinions now!

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I've a suggestion for another effect you might be interested in performing... Needle Through Balloon. It's great, easy, reliable, impossible and simple enough for kids to follow.

Although it's revealed many times around the internet I suggest buying it. It's only about $20 which is about the same you'd spend if you were just to buy the long needle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results