"Kids" Misconception

Sep 1, 2007
new york
Yeah i see that rebel ace but don't submit to them is not worth it ,submit your trick to better site.Sleight artist rips you off cause they don't make money at all trust me get out of their.Am not trying to say it sucks and stuff but they don't even have
demo videos.:eek:

I personally do not see exposure as that big of a deal personally. Exposure through lack of practice would be a problem not because of the exposure but because the performer has not put enough time into doing the trick properly not to expose it. When it comes to exposure on purpose, has anyone ever done a trick and the person you are performing gone "Oh I know how you did that, I saw it on YouTube!"

Believe it or not, laymen do not spendtheir time on YouTube looking up how to do magic tricks. The people that would are either those who have an interest in magic (Good people) or people that are hecklers (that magicians don't like anyway) so what have we lost? Not everyone can afford to spend $30 on a single trick DVD, or may have no way to order it because of strict parenting or living in a weird country, does that mean these people should be disadvantaged?

People talk about expanding magic, but then go crazy because people aren't buying thier way in. If someone is interested enough to work out how a trick is done from a video, or find somewhere it is taught, how is that less reputable than spending $30 and getting the trick? Even laymen have money, anyone could come here, spend $30 and learn how to do a trick. The net difference? Money. If you want to expand magic you need to make it accessable to those that want it, not those that are rich enough to buy thier way in. For those that don't have the dedication, they will just spoil the magic for themselves, they will get bored knowing all the secrets, it's their loss.

I know the magicians here and everywhere work hard to make and poduce these DVD's and for that they deserve to get paid, it's great work they are doing. But I see buying a DVD as helping the artist and getting something in return rather than just buying the item for the contents. If I just wanted the contents there are hundreds of better places than YouTube to get entire magic DVD's for free.

My advice is to stop crying over exposure and spend more time developing your skills than worrying about the internet. The internet cannot be controlled, trying to is just a waste of time. Trust me.

Sep 1, 2007
I see a flaw in your 5 paragraph argument:

It does matter. If laymen find out how you do your tricks, what's the point of doing the tricks in the first place?

I see a flaw in your 5 paragraph argument:

It does matter. If laymen find out how you do your tricks, what's the point of doing the tricks in the first place?

Laymen don't find out how to do it, as I said, most people have better things to do than look up magic on YouTube! Those that are going to (the few) spoil magic by looking it up are also the people that will heckle you the whole time you perform anyway. These people are not the people you perform for anyway, so what does it matter if they know the secret? Someone spoiling the magic does not hurt you, but hurt them because it ruins the fun for them.

Well, it hurts your reputation as a magician. To them you were just doing a double lift, or palming a card.

But you were just doing a double lift or palming a card... you can't actually do magic. The magic is in the eyes of the beholder. If they don't want to enjoy it, then they will never see the magic regardless if they YouTube every magic trick on the planet.

Sep 1, 2007
But you were just doing a double lift or palming a card... you can't actually do magic. The magic is in the eyes of the beholder. If they don't want to enjoy it, then they will never see the magic regardless if they YouTube every magic trick on the planet.

I suppose that it's the old dilemma of tricks vs. magic. Personally, I do card tricks, I'm not a miracle maker.

Sep 1, 2007

I know magicians who have fooled people who know the Balducci levitation with the Balducci. What's your excuse?

I hate threads like this. Only a handful of people have said anything positive, the rest of you are content to wallow in your "struggle" and impotently complain. I used to be up in arms about YouTube exposure as well. Then I woke up.

Internet exposure will not hurt our art nearly as much as trying to cut people off from it will. You're approaching the situation from the paradigm of helpless victims, not actual magicians. What exposure there is out there should be taken as personal challenge to us to improve. It's a far more productive thing to do than just whine about whatever rich brat put up a tutorial of Sinful and wants to trade Indecent for Saw.

UnholyGodn is absolutely right. The people who look up exposure videos are the people who were going to give you a hard time anyway (so there's no difference anyway) or they're people who want to learn. Erik "Mystery" von Markovik got his start as a magician when he was 11 by beating a card trick out of a classmate and watching a David Copperfield special until he had reverse engineered all of the effects.

So what are you all crying about? Shouldn't you be doing something constructive?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results