Laughing at yourself: The greatest gift

Okay, so I know that's cliches. "The greatest gift one can give themselves is to laugh at them self." My public speaking teacher said that on the first day of class. It's honestly the truth. I've done so many embarrassing things in school, and in that class, which i just laugh at. Nothing to be afraid of, just laugh-it actually makes you feel a LOT better. So If you are going to read on, thanks, because it might be a long story, but it's all true. And it happened today:

Last night was the talent show for out school. Being the school president for next year, and activities committee this year, I headed the organizing the entire event. Obviously, I've been working on a routine for some time. First, and opening with an appearing cane. Then making a table/stand appear to place a cup on. THen go into a silk to egg trick, using the glass on the table. And then after that do a linking ring routine.

Last night's show was pretty good. I really enjoyed performing and most went smooth. THe table/stand's hinge broke, not allowing the cup to stay on the it, but it made for some comedy. And I cracked the egg too hard and it spilled on the floor a little bit(oops!). BUt other than that It was smooth. Today, I had another chance to take the stage in front of half of the school. (two different acts, because my whole school doesn't fit in the auditorium). Anyway, I was third to last for the day and I was kinda nervous, but I got ove it. As the MCs called my name, I made my way through the curtain. I began by taking the silk/napkin and starting my patter of making it vanish. Then, I felt something funny. My left leg was wet. I reached in my pocket, and the egg had cracked. CRACKED! I didn't pause one second. I proceeded to push the napkin in my hand and let it drop as I said I was making it disappear. And then said, "well now, that was just a joke, now onto a real trick."

I proceeded to perform my linking ring routine. Every few seconds, I'd make a glance at my left pocket. The spot got bigger, bigger, bigger, bigger(you get the idea). By the time I finished, it took up the area from my lower pocket to my knee. All the while, I stayed cool and made no mention of it. A few people were laughing, because they had seen the show last night and knew it had gone wrong, but most were naive to the truth. Being in front of 1000 classmates, I thought it was funny. As soon as I finished, I got a thunderous applause and darted off the stage. I then started laughing so hard, I almost started crying.

Utilizing my teacher's advise.

So a few things:
1. Did I do the right thing?
2. What would you have done?
3. Has this ever happened to you?
4. Please leave a laughing comment.

Being able to laugh at yourself is the greatest gift. Some people have to be perfect, but some people can laugh things of and still have fun. I think you're one of those people. Its good that you got past the egg (which sounded pretty bad) and still went on laughing.

I find it extremely difficult to laugh at myself.. it's kind of disappointing.

for all the practice that I have put in for the last two months in preparation for that single performance, sure it was disappointing. Out of the zillion times I practiced it I never had a broken egg. And I always held in gently backstage to make sure it didn't crack. In fact it was in my hand until the curtain opened.

IN laughing at myself, I just kind of relieve stress. I thought about it- isn't that was performing is all about? I practice and perform to entertain audiences and to advance my magic. In messing up, I've learned more than doing it perfectly. So i know what I did wrong, and I know what to do in the future, so why get caught up in being mad? JUSt enjoy life and "let it be."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results