Live Performance: Spongeball Magic!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
First off, that one chick (the heckler) needs a dropkick to the forehead. lol just kidding

Your arms seemed to flail all over the place when you did the sleights, but they don't need to! It looks like you can do the sleights fairly well, I would just minimize arm flailage (new word? lol)

Also, I would recommend developing a routine that leads up to the ball vanishing and reappearing into their hands. It seemed like you just made it disappear/reappear in their hands over and over until the final load of all the sponge balls. I like to do the vanish in my left hand and then make the ball appear with the other in my right hand first (maybe a few times) When you do that, it is amazing but they can still be somewhat skeptical. THEN, when you make it appear in their hand - BIG reactions! You lead up to that big climax and give it that suspense and that alone can have a huge impact on your reactions.

There is one last thing I would like to point out - your vanish. You seemed to just pop your hand open and it is empty. There is no suspense or anything like that. Once both sponge balls are in their hands (they don't know that) and (they think) one sponge ball is in your hand, dude, you are SOOOOOOO far ahead it's unreal!!! Take advantage of that and milk that vanish for all it's worth. Squeeze your hand do whatever to really make it seem like that sponge is dematerializing and vanishing!

Overall, I think you got the sleights down! You got awesome reactions and everyone loves live magic videos like this! I think it was great but it could have been better! Keep practicing man! I look forward to possibly seeing more video's like this!

Sep 9, 2010
First off, that one chick (the heckler) needs a dropkick to the forehead. lol just kidding

Your arms seemed to flail all over the place when you did the sleights, but they don't need to! It looks like you can do the sleights fairly well, I would just minimize arm flailage (new word? lol)

Also, I would recommend developing a routine that leads up to the ball vanishing and reappearing into their hands. It seemed like you just made it disappear/reappear in their hands over and over until the final load of all the sponge balls. I like to do the vanish in my left hand and then make the ball appear with the other in my right hand first (maybe a few times) When you do that, it is amazing but they can still be somewhat skeptical. THEN, when you make it appear in their hand - BIG reactions! You lead up to that big climax and give it that suspense and that alone can have a huge impact on your reactions.

There is one last thing I would like to point out - your vanish. You seemed to just pop your hand open and it is empty. There is no suspense or anything like that. Once both sponge balls are in their hands (they don't know that) and (they think) one sponge ball is in your hand, dude, you are SOOOOOOO far ahead it's unreal!!! Take advantage of that and milk that vanish for all it's worth. Squeeze your hand do whatever to really make it seem like that sponge is dematerializing and vanishing!

Overall, I think you got the sleights down! You got awesome reactions and everyone loves live magic videos like this! I think it was great but it could have been better! Keep practicing man! I look forward to possibly seeing more video's like this!

Thanks! I'll work on the Flailage(?) haha, and the vanish, as well as the build up. Thanks again RK!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
As far as the sleights are concerned they are fine. I do agree you really need to work on the finesse of the routine, watch Eric Jones work with coins and you will know what I mean. I do not recommend this now however in the future when you become a stronger performer you can throw a few jabs at the heckler. I recommend doing the Dai Vernon 10 Count trick. You could tell them that you will show them the actual method, and really lead them down the garden path. An other idea is to use a TT to vanish a sponge ball.

Sep 9, 2010
As far as the sleights are concerned they are fine. I do agree you really need to work on the finesse of the routine, watch Eric Jones work with coins and you will know what I mean. I do not recommend this now however in the future when you become a stronger performer you can throw a few jabs at the heckler. I recommend doing the Dai Vernon 10 Count trick. You could tell them that you will show them the actual method, and really lead them down the garden path. An other idea is to use a TT to vanish a sponge ball.

Thanks! I'll work on it!

Apr 1, 2009
California
my question is, why do people let people touch them all the time? Yes, you're a magician, but that doesn't mean you don't have the same bubble of personal space as every other human in the world? If I had a nickel for everytime I saw someone have an issue with someone reaching up their shirt or pants or whatever for the gimmick. You shouldn't let people do that. whether or not your performing. it's your space... stand up for it. You handled the heckler pretty well. good job.

Sep 9, 2010
my question is, why do people let people touch them all the time? Yes, you're a magician, but that doesn't mean you don't have the same bubble of personal space as every other human in the world? If I had a nickel for everytime I saw someone have an issue with someone reaching up their shirt or pants or whatever for the gimmick. You shouldn't let people do that. whether or not your performing. it's your space... stand up for it. You handled the heckler pretty well. good job.
Thanks Asher! I agree, but the "Inspector" came out of nowhere, I would've slapped his hand away if I'd had time, haha.

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
Technique is one thing, but how you handled that obnoxious girl is another! I'm a teacher and when I perform for my class, there always seems to be one who cannot let that "wonder" sink in. They have to try to be better than the moment.

Casen, you did good. The reaction from your real audience was great. They didn't seem to even notice that girl interrupt you so much.

I am focusing on how you handled the heckler. GREAT! Maybe a mouse trap in your pocket and when then stick their hand in there, SNAP! "You should never stick your hand in a magician's pocket...you never know what is in there." Keep up the good work, man!

Jun 1, 2009
I basically agree with everyone else, good job on the sleights, but less flailing, and more milking. You moved around a bit too much and spoke a bit too fast. It seemed like they couldn't keep up at some parts, but that's just me.
Also, good job on the heckler, people like that rarely come around (all up in your face, constantly calling you out) but you handled it well. A quick remark and then ignoring was a good route, plus everyone else was on your side so that helped too.

Great job man, just work on those few tiny things and it'll be awesome!

Jacob

Feb 4, 2011
Seattle, WA
Nice job man! Like many of the other responses, I would recommend that you slow it down. People expect big moves and fancy sleight of hand when you move quickly, but when you do something slow and deliberate, that's when I find the true magic happening. I've done tricks for people quickly that make them go "Huh, that was kinda cool," and the same effects much slower that make them go "Wait... what?! But... but it was over there!". You want them to follow you, not run so far ahead of them that they don't know what they're supposed to be experiencing.

As far as that girl goes, just don't perform magic for her anymore. She'll stop heckling when she's not allowed to participate, and maybe even feel bad that she's not allowed to see magic anymore. Maybe the next time she watches someone at work, she'll leave them alone.

Seriously nice work overall though, next time you make a video be sure to post it here as well. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results