Live Performance Video!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Sometimes I really hate youtube. "Please subscribe", don't beg. Also, you have your channel linked in your signature space so you don't need to use this forum like facebook or twitter and update us when you upload a new video. Youtube is way too accessible.

In regards to the actual video it was alright, the intro style is cool and it was amusing. Personally I didn't like it though, I hate giggly little girls and the magic wasn't very clear.

Sep 9, 2010
Sometimes I really hate youtube. "Please subscribe", don't beg. Also, you have your channel linked in your signature space so you don't need to use this forum like facebook or twitter and update us when you upload a new video. Youtube is way too accessible.

In regards to the actual video it was alright, the intro style is cool and it was amusing. Personally I didn't like it though, I hate giggly little girls and the magic wasn't very clear.

Well, thanks for the little bit of positivity in that video.:) I appreciate constructive criticism.

I really like your personality, not just another magician with "wow, a card trick", but an entertainer who happens to do magic with cards & can relate to spectators. Plus, we get to see your face, as well as actually performing for people. If only more magic videos were like this. One thing I cant stand is all those videos of magicians doing there magic on Youtube in there house with poor lighting & sound & have there head cropped off making it impossible to relate at all to the performer, let alone the trick, sitting indian style on there living room floor in just shorts & a t-shirt with no attempt at having multiple cuts/angles or any attempts at editing. These types of videos are fine for just practicing & watching yourself, but for God's sake, don't show these "practice" videos to the public. So anyway, great job, & you'll only get better with more time & practice.

Sep 9, 2010
I really like your personality, not just another magician with "wow, a card trick", but an entertainer who happens to do magic with cards & can relate to spectators. Plus, we get to see your face, as well as actually performing for people. If only more magic videos were like this. One thing I cant stand is all those videos of magicians doing there magic on Youtube in there house with poor lighting & sound & have there head cropped off making it impossible to relate at all to the performer, let alone the trick, sitting indian style on there living room floor in just shorts & a t-shirt with no attempt at having multiple cuts/angles or any attempts at editing. These types of videos are fine for just practicing & watching yourself, but for God's sake, don't show these "practice" videos to the public. So anyway, great job, & you'll only get better with more time & practice.

Thanks! I literally saw a video of someone doing magic in a bathrobe! hahaha

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I cannot stand girls who act like this. The one girl is not even focused / paying attention, she is texting for crying out loud. Try to get her more involved as well. Your personality is good but take charge of the situation even more so. Be very clear and precise with instructions. The spectator involved was way too far away. Did you do that so that both of your full bodies were in the camera shot? Probably. The DL was ok and would probably fly by most kids that age...not sure on adults who are "burning" your hands though.
Your intro to your video was funny but please do not try to be another Zach M "insider style"....ha ha. I can only take one Zach.
For heavens sake man...tell your camera man to hold steady and why did he cut to the kid on the step? Just being brutally honest. I would love to see more live footage posted to keep seeing your work. Glad you are out there performing and not just sitting at home in front of a web cam. Thanks for sharing this.

Sep 9, 2010
I cannot stand girls who act like this. The one girl is not even focused / paying attention, she is texting for crying out loud. Try to get her more involved as well. Your personality is good but take charge of the situation even more so. Be very clear and precise with instructions. The spectator involved was way too far away. Did you do that so that both of your full bodies were in the camera shot? Probably. The DL was ok and would probably fly by most kids that age...not sure on adults who are "burning" your hands though.
Your intro to your video was funny but please do not try to be another Zach M "insider style"....ha ha. I can only take one Zach.
For heavens sake man...tell your camera man to hold steady and why did he cut to the kid on the step? Just being brutally honest. I would love to see more live footage posted to keep seeing your work. Glad you are out there performing and not just sitting at home in front of a web cam. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks! I'll remember that! and that's not my primary camera man, he was just filling in, oh well.

You've certainly got a showman quality to you, and the intro to the magic video was amusing. Could use to tighten up what you say a bit more to appear less ramble on like.

No offense, I get that they are teens, but I can't stand spectators like this. The one girl is way to hyper giggly, and her friend isn't even involved with what you are doing. I'd say a little more audience management would be a good thing.

I really, really, really don't like magic videos that cut away to a different angle, or a splash screen all together before resuming the effect. And you do this twice. First with a text frame, then for NO reason your camera guy swings away from you during the big moment to catch some guy on a staircase. For all I know this is how you did it. When the video cuts, you switch the cards, and resume. For me it's almost better to just run with it, interruptions and all then edit it. You also have the option of re-shooting with another ?better? spectator.

I'd comment about your camera man, but someone's already beat me to it.

The background noise is distracting from the video. It's good to get video of you doing work, but remember that the video is there to make you look good. You can't look good with loud distracting music, or spectators who aren't paying attention to what their friend is doing. When you've got a camera on you, it's not just about the reactions. it's the full package. The video quality, the sound quality, the entertainment value, the patter, and the reactions.

Just an insider tip... Video production is a pain in the ass. In Hollywood, when a movie or TV studio contacts you because they want to book you to do work, and they tell you they'll only need you for 4 hours... you can plan on being there between eight and twelve. Lots of little things happen that can really screw up a shot. Lines get missed, sound is off, lighting is not right, booms get into frame, special effects don't function, etc etc. It's not uncommon to take twice as long (or longer) to film something as it does to watch it in final format. I remember shooting a 3 minute static shot dialog video audition for some upcoming TV show pilot and it took me close to four hours of filming to get 3 minutes of usable video. Seriously, try planning your stuff out, I think you'll be impressed with the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
In regards to what reverhart said, the first I noticed was that you spent more time looking at your cards than you did at the audience. You were performing"at" them. Which you shouldn't need to do because quite frankly, I like your sense of humour, I liked the intro and I even like how the editing was used, it was well done.

Only other point I really wanted to make was - don't dictate what you're doing with your hands. Choose your words carefully. When you speak, use the time to engage properly.

Sep 9, 2010
You've certainly got a showman quality to you, and the intro to the magic video was amusing. Could use to tighten up what you say a bit more to appear less ramble on like.......

Thank you! I'll work on audience management, I'll try to do the next one with no background noise, and of course I'll tell the camera man to keep the focus on the magic. The reason for the background noise is that the main time I'm ever able to film, is at church, and the youth band is practicing before church, and after church most of the people have left.

Sep 9, 2010
In regards to what reverhart said, the first I noticed was that you spent more time looking at your cards than you did at the audience. You were performing"at" them. Which you shouldn't need to do because quite frankly, I like your sense of humour, I liked the intro and I even like how the editing was used, it was well done.

Only other point I really wanted to make was - don't dictate what you're doing with your hands. Choose your words carefully. When you speak, use the time to engage properly.

I hadn't noticed those, thanks for pointing those out! I'll work on it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results