Looking for some suggestions.

Apr 2, 2017
California
Hello again friends!

I am in need of a little help. I'm trying to add more tricks to my arsenal, however I am looking for a particular feel.

Little background, I primarily do walk around and hang out far too much at bars. (I get lots of gigs at bars for some reason.)

Because of this most of my trick are in the hands cards and coins based. I do a card to pocket routine as an opener, followed close by some sort of coins across, then finish with something goofy to blend the mood back to drinking.

Lately I have been getting really big responses from my "goofy" tricks. Possibly because drinking plus attention span does not go hand in hand. As far as goofy goes, tricks like pressure or my new (to me) favorite little hand by Michael Ammar. For some reason the feeling of these effects plus my patter are getting really good responses.

Does anyone have any suggestions to effects that have this "goofy" feeling?

Thank you in advance!

-Ned

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hello again friends!

I am in need of a little help. I'm trying to add more tricks to my arsenal, however I am looking for a particular feel.

Little background, I primarily do walk around and hang out far too much at bars. (I get lots of gigs at bars for some reason.)

Because of this most of my trick are in the hands cards and coins based. I do a card to pocket routine as an opener, followed close by some sort of coins across, then finish with something goofy to blend the mood back to drinking.

Lately I have been getting really big responses from my "goofy" tricks. Possibly because drinking plus attention span does not go hand in hand. As far as goofy goes, tricks like pressure or my new (to me) favorite little hand by Michael Ammar. For some reason the feeling of these effects plus my patter are getting really good responses.

Does anyone have any suggestions to effects that have this "goofy" feeling?

Thank you in advance!

-Ned
You might enjoy visual tricks that use gaffs. For example, maybe a card trick where they select a card, and you bring out a funny looking gaff card. You then do a colour change to "find" the card. I think goofiness lies more so in the patter than it does in the actual trick, so try experimenting with different patters.

Reactions: Ned Devine
Apr 2, 2017
California
You might enjoy visual tricks that use gaffs. For example, maybe a card trick where they select a card, and you bring out a funny looking gaff card. You then do a colour change to "find" the card. I think goofiness lies more so in the patter than it does in the actual trick, so try experimenting with different patters.
For sure! I have been looking into some Gaffs but I always told my inner 12 year old that I am a "purist" that won't use gimmicks or gaffs. I now know my mistake haha. So because of this I feel I have so many Gaffs and gimmicks to look through. You are correct about the patter been working on it for a good while. Was so used to serious crowds that I almost forgot the fun side. Thank you for the advice, I will look more into gaffs cards. My only worry is most of my cards get destroyed from being in a bar environment. I primarily use rider backs because of the price per deck. Are there any good gaffs sets for rider backs?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
For sure! I have been looking into some Gaffs but I always told my inner 12 year old that I am a "purist" that won't use gimmicks or gaffs. I now know my mistake haha. So because of this I feel I have so many Gaffs and gimmicks to look through. You are correct about the patter been working on it for a good while. Was so used to serious crowds that I almost forgot the fun side. Thank you for the advice, I will look more into gaffs cards. My only worry is most of my cards get destroyed from being in a bar environment. I primarily use rider backs because of the price per deck. Are there any good gaffs sets for rider backs?
You are probably going to find the most gaffs for rider backs, since they are the most used decks out there. You can make your own several ways, but you can buy a Gaff Deck like THIS. You can also buy a full blank deck like THIS as well as several other forms of blank cards.
I ran across this site yesterday, from here on the forums. They have a full archive of gaff cards with bicycle backs. They also allow you to print your own gaffs on a bicycle backed card. I haven't used it, since I perform mostly with tally decks, but you may find it interesting.
http://printbymagic.com/printing/printing-for-magicians/

I honestly thing being a "100% purist" and being absolutely certain that you wont try any gaffs and gimmicks is a dumb thing. I was there when I started magic, but then realized the versatility of the gaffs and gimmicks. As long as I am using them as a tool in a performance, and not straight up as the performance, I am fine with using them. I have also started to create my own little gimmicks whilst creating effects, and am realizing that the possibilities are "endless". I still love performing pure sleight of hand, but some gimmicks and gaffs enhance a routine. The thing you have to keep in check is, will I actually use it, will I be doing other stuff than just presenting a gimmick or gaff as it is, and you need to make sure that the gimmick or gaff is part of the trick or routine, and not the focal point of it. I think this quote pretty much sums it up the best.

"There's things you can do with this deck that will make people believe that you have the most incredible skill with playing cards. If one of these cards in this deck is gonna make that ten times easier, and its gonna make me look ten times better, then you're damn right I'm gonna use cards like this." - Daniel Madison In reference to his Madison Gambler's Gaff Deck

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The vibe or feel of the routine comes from the performance, not the trick itself. Some things lend themselves to being funny, like the little hand, but you can write whatever script you want.

I'm not big on comedy myself but I do use one silly joke to open my busking set (I find funny works better when busking). That's the simple "NO" prediction. I have "NO" written in big letter in a little notebook I use during the performance. I do a fairly serious sort of pseudo-hypnotic thought transfer thing (Which I had to carefully script so that it DOESN'T make them think of a word, which was surprising), and then say, "If I were to ask you, if you know what was written on this paper, what would you say?" I say this with a bit of intensity. They say, "No", and I instantly relax back a bit, open up the notebook while saying, "Perfect" and show it around. It obviously says "no" and everyone chuckles or laughs. The amount of people who laugh, and how much they laugh, tells me a lot about how the rest of the show will have to be played.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results