Losing a card

Mar 16, 2010
Lithuania
I bet this happened to alot of us. What do you do when you ask the spectator to put there card back and you hold a break, and accidently lose there card for real? How to find the card? I know one method but it sucks. It takes 5 minutes to find it by counting. Can anyone tell me any sources how to control/locate the chosen card fast when you lose it?

Oct 20, 2010
When I accidentally lose a spectators card, what I do, is shift gears away from the trick I was going to do, and change it into a quick revelation. After I lose the card, I then ask them to name it... Once they do, I fan through the deck and tell them how that isn't possible that they picked that card...(while I locate it) I then cull it to the top of the deck, explain how they couldn't have picked it because it was in my pocket before the trick. Then it's a matter of producing it from your pocket in whatever way you want. You could use a card to wallet, or even fold it and produce it from your pocket or wherever you want. This is what I always do when I lose one, and it must be done so that they think it WAS the trick you were going to do... they should never even suspect you lost their card or messed up... I hope that helps.

Nov 27, 2009
Sometimes I just start over. They don't (shouldn't) know what's coming so starting over isn't a bad idea. You have to have the right attitude when you do this, though. Play it like you changed your mind. It's even better if you use a different method of having the card selected, even if you do the same trick you started in the first place.

Or I'll just play it down and move on. Something like, "hey, I'm not perfect, why don't I do another trick and make up for my error" if they knew I messed up.

If you use the classic force, loosing the card isn't a big deal because you know what it is and can reveal it however you want. After all the the audience shouldn't know what's coming, so they don't know you messed up.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i have like two outs. First, since they dont know the presentation do a false reveal and say "no? what was it, maybe it fell out of the deck" they say it and you spread through looking for it meanwhile culling the other 3 of that card. You can then go into a trick that reveals all four. My second out is my favorite. Its a variation on Paul Harris's Whack your Pack trick. If you lose a break you still have a reasonably good idea "about" where the card is. probably with 5-1o cards. So cut the deck as close as you can to the top. and proceed with that effect. Works great

Sep 2, 2007
London
I bet this happened to alot of us. What do you do when you ask the spectator to put there card back and you hold a break, and accidently lose there card for real? How to find the card? I know one method but it sucks. It takes 5 minutes to find it by counting. Can anyone tell me any sources how to control/locate the chosen card fast when you lose it?

That's happened to me a few times. The first thing I do is hand the deck out to be shuffled, just because you might as well take the opportunity to do it now when it doesn't matter. Then I get them to check that their card is still in the deck, and show it to any other spectators to prove it really is there. Often, while they're doing that, you'll get a glimpse of the card. Sometimes, and this is lovely, they can't find it, and you get credit for having made it disappear, at which point you casually take the deck back and ask them what the card was with a knowing smile, and say something like, "Are you sure it's vanished?", to reinforce the apparent effect, as you cull and steal it, followed by a revelation of your choice. When most laymen shuffle, they aren't technically brilliant, so they're pretty easy to track, so you should have a rough idea of where the card is even after the shuffle.

Essentially, it's just a chance to have fun, improvise, and see what the moment brings. You're pretty much in the same position as if you'd asked them to just think of a card, but with the bonus that it's feasible that you've already done something with the card. The best result I've had from this position came after I had a break and the spectator asked to shuffle the deck. I never refuse if that happens, but obviously it meant I lost the card, and didn't know what it was. He shuffled the deck, I took it back, said "Watch this", and turned over the top card. He freaked out. Of course, if he hadn't reacted, I'd have carried on my sentence, "Watch this, your card's not on top, it's somewhere in the middle," and done something different.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
My persona is one of an average person, so I just say something along the lines of "Nevermind... forget that card" (maybe I'll add "it wasn't very good anyways") "choose another one".... but I like rbromund's idea.

Aug 17, 2010
There's the Invisible Deck...

...or you could force a card every time, even when you don't have to. Great way to practice a classic force.

Sep 19, 2010
I tell them it's disappeared from the deck, ask them what their card is. Spread through find their card letting them have a quick glimpse of other cards in the spread. Cut their card to the bottom of the deck. Say, 'Look its in my back pocket' cop the card and produce from back pocket.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results