MAGIC☆CON :: 2nd Podcast + Registration Details - 09/29/09

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Last night, we recorded a special podcast - the second in a series - discussing MAGIC-CON, an intellectual and interactive conference for magicians (March 2010). Magic-Con will be held March 18th - 21st in San Diego, California. For more information about Magic-Con and for a full list of presenters, check out the Magic-Con website HERE.

The podcast features Jonathan Bayme, Dave Buck, and Magic-Con presenters Eric Mead and John Lovick discussing their hopes and vision for the conference and what these two presenters plan to discuss. Also hear final details about registration - including the official registration date!

Listen to the podcast update directly HERE.

D

Deleted member 2755

Haven't listened to the podcast. I will in a bit. Working now. I did look at the full list of presenters. I hate you if you're going. ;) I'll still see what I can do. I'm hoping to find a way. This conference looks too awesome to miss.

-Doug

Aug 20, 2008
Las Vegas
Looking forward to Eric Mead! John Lovick doesnt seem like he would really fit in to this convention with his ideological prejudice view of our art. This is a guy who uses his 'position' while reviewing an effect (which is what he's supposed to do) to nitpick the clothes this particular creator is wearing and how he's too "street" now. This takes place throughout the entire review with little (although positive) mention of the effect.

IMHO this convention represents the antithesis of what someone like Lovick represents. Bravo to Eric Mead for keeping him in check during this interview, not the first time he's tried to push his prejudices of our art and gotten checked by a wiser, more open minded artist. Chris Kenner deals with him very well on reel magic magazine.

Looking forward to Eric Mead! John Lovick doesnt seem like he would really fit in to this convention with his ideological prejudice view of our art. This is a guy who uses his 'position' while reviewing an effect (which is what he's supposed to do) to nitpick the clothes this particular creator is wearing and how he's too "street" now. This takes place throughout the entire review with little (although positive) mention of the effect.

IMHO this convention represents the antithesis of what someone like Lovick represents. Bravo to Eric Mead for keeping him in check during this interview, not the first time he's tried to push his prejudices of our art and gotten checked by a wiser, more open minded artist. Chris Kenner deals with him very well on reel magic magazine.

I'm glad someone said it...

I plan on being there as well. I really hope to meet some decent people and do some productive learning. I've never been much of a magic convention-type, but this sounds really intriguing.

RS.

dananddave

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
Hollywood
www.dananddave.com

Certainly not all Lovick's reviews "nitpick" the way you describe. You have to consider the volume of DVDs he receives each month and to follow a template just writing about the effect would get quite boring for the reader - especially since so many effects in magic are similar, if not, the same. Plus, style and packaging plays a huge role in products and in my opinion, needs to be reviewed.

Magic-Con is a meeting of the minds, regardless of clashing ideologies.

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
Certainly not all Lovick's reviews "nitpick" the way you describe. You have to consider the volume of DVDs he receives each month and to follow a template just writing about the effect would get quite boring for the reader - especially since so many effects in magic are similar, if not, the same. Plus, style and packaging plays a huge role in products and in my opinion, needs to be reviewed.

Magic-Con is a meeting of the minds, regardless of clashing ideologies.

I do not want to stray to far off topic and if this gets deleted or locked because of that then you should have done it with D&Ds post as that was off topic as well but here goes...

I find it interesting that you respond to this post when he has ALWAYS said great stuff about ALL your products.
So it is enjoyable to the reader to have a magic reviewer to actually make fun of a persons religion and to put down the creator of that trick? It is enjoyable for the reader to read about the creators clothing and to actually tear down the creator as a person? In that entire review there is exactly 3 words that talk about the trick itself the rest of the "review" is lovick tearing down the creator, using his faith against him, and jist saying stupid, idiotic statements that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRICK ITSELF! And that is ok? No sirs that is not ok and that is one of the reason we started our company because john lovick and people like him will not git away with this any longer.

Look at the podcast in question. It is supposed to be a conversation between all of you about the convention and what to expect from each person on the podcast..where lovick CLEARLY tries to take over the pod cast in an interview interviewee manner. Are you kidding me? The ego on lovick is jist superb! Then lovick thinks he will say something about youth and youth lecturing and what not and then Eric brilliantly shows lovick where he is wrong and lovick tries to cower his way out of what he said so confidently before and tries to side with mead. Classic.

Oh and by the way..yes it's me ( he was supposed to review captured)he reviewed and he is a bold face liar because in the first sentence he says he does not know me nor has he met me.

I had met lovick twice before that review came up in magic.
First time was at magi-fest 2008. It was me and David Williamson, john lovick, and other magi's at a table in the lobby. Kozmo had jist called me and we were talking about a recent project we were going to do and he asked me how magi-fest was and I told him who I was with he said "tell lovick I said hello" In the middle of everyone i said "John koz says hi" lovick then responded with a witty remark and that was that. I also talked with him many times through out that convention..never met me huh?

The second time was more personal it was at the IBM/SAM convention in Louisville KY. I sat in on the david williamson interview lovick did in the hotel room. In that entire interview I was sitting off camera and david even looks at me one time while he had said something funny. I also sat in on the mac king interview in that same hotel room.

Then downstairs in the lobby lovick thought he was being cute and was sitting with an underage girl on a couch both of them staring at me. Every time I would look back at them he was pointing at me and laughing in my direction. I later found that girl and approached her on the elevator and asked her what was so funny. She said and i quote " he was telling me about your enterouge and that you were a joke in the magic community"

Oh yea I forgot I also tried to git into the magic castle when lovick was the hiring person for talent (thank god he lost that job look at the horrible acts he placed in that yr). Lovick actually responded to my e-mails and said i would not be a good fit for the close-up room...I will be talking about that n the lovick review as well way to much to go into here, but the point is that he lied to every single one of you in that review. And that is the person we want teaching a magic conference. Really?

Really john lovick u, never met me..your on notice!

I will be posting up my own video review of lovick in the future on our site.

So to have lovick talk at a convention about his views on magic is like listening to ray charles describe a sunset..meaningless.

But who am I.
JM
WTF No Limits

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not want to stray to far off topic and if this gets deleted or locked because of that then you should have done it with D&Ds post as that was off topic as well but here goes...

I find it interesting that you respond to this post when he has ALWAYS said great stuff about ALL your products.
So it is enjoyable to the reader to have a magic reviewer to actually make fun of a persons religion and to put down the creator of that trick? It is enjoyable for the reader to read about the creators clothing and to actually tear down the creator as a person? In that entire review there is exactly 3 words that talk about the trick itself the rest of the "review" is lovick tearing down the creator, using his faith against him, and jist saying stupid, idiotic statements that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRICK ITSELF! And that is ok? No sirs that is not ok and that is one of the reason we started our company because john lovick and people like him will not git away with this any longer.

Look at the podcast in question. It is supposed to be a conversation between all of you about the convention and what to expect from each person on the podcast..where lovick CLEARLY tries to take over the pod cast in an interview interviewee manner. Are you kidding me? The ego on lovick is jist superb! Then lovick thinks he will say something about youth and youth lecturing and what not and then Eric brilliantly shows lovick where he is wrong and lovick tries to cower his way out of what he said so confidently before and tries to side with mead. Classic.

Oh and by the way..yes it's me ( he was supposed to review captured)he reviewed and he is a bold face liar because in the first sentence he says he does not know me nor has he met me.

I had met lovick twice before that review came up in magic.
First time was at magi-fest 2008. It was me and David Williamson, john lovick, and other magi's at a table in the lobby. Kozmo had jist called me and we were talking about a recent project we were going to do and he asked me how magi-fest was and I told him who I was with he said "tell lovick I said hello" In the middle of everyone i said "John koz says hi" lovick then responded with a witty remark and that was that. I also talked with him many times through out that convention..never met me huh?

The second time was more personal it was at the IBM/SAM convention in Louisville KY. I sat in on the david williamson interview lovick did in the hotel room. In that entire interview I was sitting off camera and david even looks at me one time while he had said something funny. I also sat in on the mac king interview in that same hotel room.

Then downstairs in the lobby lovick thought he was being cute and was sitting with an underage girl on a couch both of them staring at me. Every time I would look back at them he was pointing at me and laughing in my direction. I later found that girl and approached her on the elevator and asked her what was so funny. She said and i quote " he was telling me about your enterouge and that you were a joke in the magic community"

Oh yea I forgot I also tried to git into the magic castle when lovick was the hiring person for talent (thank god he lost that job look at the horrible acts he placed in that yr). Lovick actually responded to my e-mails and said i would not be a good fit for the close-up room...I will be talking about that n the lovick review as well way to much to go into here, but the point is that he lied to every single one of you in that review. And that is the person we want teaching a magic conference. Really?

Really john lovick u, never met me..your on notice!

I will be posting up my own video review of lovick in the future on our site.

So to have lovick talk at a convention about his views on magic is like listening to ray charles describe a sunset..meaningless.

But who am I.
JM
WTF No Limits

Okay... but what do you really think? Ha.

Justin, your work speaks for itself. You don't need to prove yourself to anyone. You're one of the most talented, respectable performers and creators of our generation, and no arrogant, close-minded individual can take that from you. Don't let it get under your skin. I actually have a lot more to say about this particular issue, but I'm not one for personal bashing. John Lovick is John Lovick. And as much as I personally don't like the guy, he occasionally shares something of legitimate value with the magic community, and that deserves an amount of respect. I'm sure his presence will add an interesting flavor to the upcoming conference that some people will actually appreciate.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
I respect your views on this and I appreciate your opinion.

If a husband, who jist on occasion beats his wife and his kids, but for the most part is a nice guy to others, would you say the same thing or would you do everything in your power to HELP those poor victims GET AWAY FROM HIM FAST BEFORE HE KILLS THEM!

Lovick has decided that he is to be judged on his reviews. When he went into that field then he automatically had a target painted on his back.

So if he reviews SOME magic with a bias point a view already then what do you think his teaching will be like, are we to assume that he will somehow go outside his character and persona for a lecture and conference when he has already branded what he does and how he does it in other venues.
My point is this conference should be Open Minded (which is what I would have called it) from a person attending to the performers, and if someone who is supposed to speak at this thing is the opposite of what the conference is supposed to be about then that person should not be allowed to speak plain and simple.

And I am not defending myself as I have nothing to defend..I was jist letting everyone know what Lovick said and what the truth really was.

JM

I respect your views on this and I appreciate your opinion.

If a husband, who jist on occasion beats his wife and his kids, but for the most part is a nice guy to others, would you say the same thing or would you do everything in your power to HELP those poor victims GET AWAY FROM HIM FAST BEFORE HE KILLS THEM!

Lovick has decided that he is to be judged on his reviews. When he went into that field then he automatically had a target painted on his back.

So if he reviews SOME magic with a bias point a view already then what do you think his teaching will be like, are we to assume that he will somehow go outside his character and persona for a lecture and conference when he has already branded what he does and how he does it in other venues.
My point is this conference should be Open Minded (which is what I would have called it) from a person attending to the performers, and if someone who is supposed to speak at this thing is the opposite of what the conference is supposed to be about then that person should not be allowed to speak plain and simple.

And I am not defending myself as I have nothing to defend..I was jist letting everyone know what Lovick said and what the truth really was.

JM

The abusive husband analogy was a bit extreme and almost irrelevant to our discussion. We're not talking about the welfare and quality of people's lives-- we're talking about the free-flow of information and ideas. When people discuss ideas, some will obviously clash with one another; biases will be contradicted, and people will be personally offended. Those are side effects of having an open-minded forum and society. Although such qualities may (severely) hinder morale, I don't believe they significantly detract from our craft and/or the expansion of ideas, theory, and performance of it.

With regards to Lovick, I understand your point of view and can even sympathize with your opinion of the man. I'm not fond of him or his work, myself, however I do believe he has the credibility to present at the upcoming conference. He's experienced, talented, and passionate. He does have a voice and it should be heard-- perhaps with a (huge) grain of salt, but it should be heard.

RS.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
With respect to the opinions and expressed concerns of B. Smith and Justin Miller, I'll firstly state that you are entitled to your opinions and that - as an open forum - they of course can be expressed herein. Specifically in reference to Justin's most recent post, however, I did find it unnecessary to compare one's differences of opinion to violence and murder, but I digress.

The bottom line here is that Magic-Con is a meeting of the minds. We have over 15 presenters representative of all sides of the spectrum of intellectual thought within this industry. If they all agreed with eachother, this conference would not only be boring, but wouldn't be true to its purpose - to learn from one another, advance, and together - evolve.

I believe it fair to say that the roster of presenters is equally representative of all schools of thought - with artists from Daniel Garcia to Eric Mead to Michael Weber to Guy Hollingworth. We welcome professional, civil discourse at the conference - and we hope to see spirited debate amongst all present.

To be clear, this post is not meant to defend or offend any perspective, but rather to clarify that Magic-Con represents them all, and we hope that everyone that enters the conference hall in March does so with an open mind and willingness to learn and interact with every other student of the art in attendance - and this of course applies to the presenters as well.

In the process, we hope that emphasis results in a conference that is truly interactive, different, and unique. We'll do everything we can to ensure it.

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
I am only responding to this one more time and will leave it alone.
I think the husband analogy makes perfect sense as A CREATOR. Effects are like our children and we hold them very dear and a very special place in our lives and art.
If these effects and ideas are handled carelessly then they will suffer great harm at the hands of those in control.

You opinion on lovick is jist that. I can give you 10 PRO guys that would disagree with you. But that is the beauty of being human..we all have a different perspective on our lives and others.

JM

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
With respect to the opinions and expressed concerns of B. Smith and Justin Miller, I'll firstly state that you are entitled to your opinions and that - as an open forum - they of course can be expressed herein. Specifically in reference to Justin's most recent post, however, I did find it unnecessary to compare one's differences of opinion to violence and murder, but I digress.

The bottom line here is that Magic-Con is a meeting of the minds. We have over 15 presenters representative of all sides of the spectrum of intellectual thought within this industry. If they all agreed with eachother, this conference would not only be boring, but wouldn't be true to its purpose - to learn from one another, advance, and together - evolve.

I believe it fair to say that the roster of presenters is equally representative of all schools of thought - with artists from Daniel Garcia to Eric Mead to Michael Weber to Guy Hollingworth. We welcome professional, civil discourse at the conference - and we hope to see spirited debate amongst all present.

To be clear, this post is not meant to defend or offend any perspective, but rather to clarify that Magic-Con represents them all, and we hope that everyone that enters the conference hall in March does so with an open mind and willingness to learn and interact with every other student of the art in attendance - and this of course applies to the presenters as well.

In the process, we hope that emphasis results in a conference that is truly interactive, different, and unique. We'll do everything we can to ensure it.

Thanks JB. I do appreciate you letting me speak the facts on a matter of serious importance in our art that I hold very very dear. i do wish you all the best in this new venture which will hopefully and gloriously be a driving force in changing r art to a better place in history.

JM

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

I pretty much agree with Romeo, the actions that J miller has done speak for themselves, of course, If another guy words affect your work, I understand why Justin is taking action.

By the way, the above quote made me sad. :(

Nov 23, 2007
NC
By the way, the above quote made me sad. :(
The truth isn't always pretty.

While tempting, I'm not going to bash Lovick here as its to easy and takes the thread off topic. I agree he does'nt seem to fit this venue but thats above my paygrade and I think the important thing is I wouldnt miss an incredible conference just because someone is there that I dont like. So what, disregard them. Theres so much else going on thats so much more important.

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
The truth isn't always pretty.

While tempting, I'm not going to bash Lovick here as its to easy and takes the thread off topic. I agree he does'nt seem to fit this venue but thats above my paygrade and I think the important thing is I wouldnt miss an incredible conference just because someone is there that I dont like. So what, disregard them. Theres so much else going on thats so much more important.

And please understand i do not want anyone bashing lovick. That is not what this was about.
And I know almost everyone who will be presenting on a personal level so I know it will be stellar.
JM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results