Magic "Final Exam"

May 19, 2010
I'd like to share a quick story that I hope the community enjoys.

I was recently on vacation taking a walk by an old one room school house that has since been converted into a day camp for children. As I passed the kids who were standing outside, I heard one of them yell that he had found an old magic kit in the school house. The women running the camp were attempting to muddle through old and torn directions to teach these kids how to do the ball and vase. I approached them and told them I was a magician and asked if they wanted to learn/see some magic.

With a plastic wand, some broken paddles, and an incomplete cups and balls set I was able to put on an impromptu 20 minute show for the children that they enjoyed and that I felt great about. The women were extremley appreciative and I was even able to teach the kids how to work the dusty ball and vase set.

This experience gave me confidence in the skills I have acquired over the years by forcing me to use all of my knowledge of magic to squeeze out a show using sub par equipment. It felt as though it were a final exam, I had no idea what I was going to see but I had faith in what I had learned to pass the test.

Anyone else have any similar stories? I'd love to hear them!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results