Magic gets the ladies

raccoonfight

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2011
Okay heres the deal. This was not a pick up line to go get a girlfriend or anything like that. This was suppose to be a fun/creative way to ask a girl to homecoming, thats it. It seems that some of you are viewing it as a way to get woman and its nothing like that I knew she liked me so i was being creative.

Thank you to everyone who understands what high school is like and how fun asking a girl to Homecoming can be.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
In all fairness, you posted on here on your own volition, knowing full well that the response may not have been completely positive. If you were hoping for that, sorry. I gave my opinion, as you asked. Asking for our opinions and then immediately disregarding them is not the way to go.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I consider my advice to be a counterpoint. Let me give you a little context here.

I certainly agree that being too cheesy and trying to get girls through some random skill is a sure fire way to make yourself look like an idiot. However, I think for something like a high school dance that 99% of the time doesn't turn into a long-term relationship anyway, girls appreciate a creative proposal.

And yes, you are correct, I never attended schools in Western Pennsylvania. However, if you were beat up for just liking reading, then that's just a problem with the school, not with all high schools in general.

And Ian, I think all the OP was saying is that he wasn't looking for our approval or disapproval. That'd be like if I went onto a handyman forum and asked the members to recommend a good weed-whacker and some of the members, instead of simply giving me an answer or ignoring the post, decided to advise me on why weed-whackers suck and why I should just hire Scott's Lawn Service instead. Is it an answer? Sure. Do I necessarily care if you approve or not of what I'm doing? Most of the time, no.

And Craig, I don't think the OP ever indicated that he was going to spend the rest of his life with this girl. It was just a fun way to ask her to a silly high school dance.

Just my opinion.

Apr 17, 2013
And yes, you are correct, I never attended schools in Western Pennsylvania. However, if you were beat up for just liking reading, then that's just a problem with the school, not with all high schools in general.

North Central Ohio and West Virginia is where I did my high school time back in the mid 90's I can tell you it was the same type of stuff. You got beat up by the pulling guard during the week and saw the QB get the girl on the weekends all because you didn't drink or smoke or toke. There is a reason that most of the Americans who have been to space are from Ohio.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
North Central Ohio and West Virginia is where I did my high school time back in the mid 90's I can tell you it was the same type of stuff. You got beat up by the pulling guard during the week and saw the QB get the girl on the weekends all because you didn't drink or smoke or toke. There is a reason that most of the Americans who have been to space are from Ohio.

This is just one of the reasons I feel Ohio is one of the best states to be FROM. . . (I grew up in Springfield, just north of Dayton with too many relatives in W. Va. to count, so I can empathize).

Sep 1, 2007
I certainly agree that being too cheesy and trying to get girls through some random skill is a sure fire way to make yourself look like an idiot. However, I think for something like a high school dance that 99% of the time doesn't turn into a long-term relationship anyway, girls appreciate a creative proposal.

Consider it a personal thing, but I think it's time to stop perpetuating the lie that high school in any way resembles the real world. I've seen dudes out of college who still believe this obnoxious crap is the shortcut to getting laid because they were told their whole life that high school is preparing them for the real world, therefor things that worked in your teenage years still apply in your 20's.

I'm going to stop there before I go off on a multi-paragraph rant about the state of education in the US. We'll be here all day if I do that.

You're making my promise to not go on a rant difficult. This is in no way an isolated case. If you think otherwise, you haven't been paying attention.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
RANT, RANT, RANT. . . was that High School enough for you?

I never said that the OP wanted to do a proposal, for that matter, I've seen magic used in some very beautiful proposals over the years and even helped stage a couple of magical weddings (still trying for a funeral, though). My objection had to do with two things; how would you feel if another guy approached you in this kind of scenario . . . a situation I love putting the young horn dogs in because they rarely think about how they come off in the girl's mind when it comes to these little rituals. Secondly, I wanted the OP to see just how using a trick in this manner can ruin your reputation and make you look like a total buffoon. But understand, none of us knew the other conditions around things, such as the girl already knew and liked you. . . kind of an important detail when weighing this kind of thing.

Of course, there is the other side of the issue; why ask when you decided you were going to do it anyway?

When if Comes to Getting Beat-Up for Reading. . . this is a policy in many gangs and why, back in the 1960's, one of me best chums would hide under his sleeping bag with a pen-flashlight Reading so his fellow Hell's Angels (literally) wouldn't know that he was taking classes @ Berkeley (this was during the summer of love -- 1969 -- San Francisco, etc.) There are many situations in which one's attempt at improving themselves can prove dangerous, especially given the new American game of trying to outlaw intellectualism (for real. . . fundamentalism christians are pushing to outlaw certain forms of scientific research, what can be taught in schools from a "scientific" point of view, etc. they want to do for us what the Taliban has done for Islam -- keep it stuck in the middle ages).

May sound far-fetched but it is a very ugly reality; I've seen it in family situations where they thought being a "book worm" is what made someone gay . . . redneck 101 logic.

The "real world" is ugly and filled with lots of contradiction and illogic; things rational thinking (and educated) people can rarely comprehend because it makes no sense, but it is real and it is a mentality that has a powerful and growing base in some regions where biblical misinterpretation and extremism is taking precedent in people's lives. I'm totally amiss as to how to deal with this plague, but I know it is a dangerous thing that can add to the destruction of Western civilization as we know it today.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Aaaand back to topic... Does magic get the girls? No! Not by itself anyways. I had a lot of success with girls (read: short term) because of "magic". However, I'm 6'6" tall, fit, wearing a suit, with mysterious persona and sense of humor. Magic tricks were only the channel through which I presented all of those "qualities". So did my ACR got me the ladies? No... But it did help me "show off" the other qualities that I have as a person.
Example: When I was working on a cruise ship as a close up magician, there were two of us at one point. This other magician had NO "luck" with the girls whatsoever. He had the same skills as a magician like I have, he even had better tricks (read: more visual) like levitation's and such. So why did I get a lot of girls while he got none? I guess he was missing all the other parts of the equation.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Toby is EXACTLY correct. Magic allows you to show case your personality, confidence (don't confuse with arrogance) and other strong traits that women "may" find attractive They could just as easily see a deck of cards come out of your pocket and laugh and walk away though too. Luckily I have been more like Toby, in the case that when I throw on my suit coat, put on the charm and sense of humor to "entertain" I tend to get A LOT of attention and that is even with a wedding ring on my finger. Ha Ha. The other key ingredient is try to "entertain" EVERYONE even though there may be attractive women around that you are seeking their approval. When you are liked by all who are present that makes you even more attractive. If you are the corny guy who is just trying to impress just the ladies, you come off as that weirdo who looks like a stalker and has other motives in mind. Just food for thought.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Toby is EXACTLY correct. Magic allows you to show case your personality, confidence (don't confuse with arrogance) and other strong traits that women "may" find attractive They could just as easily see a deck of cards come out of your pocket and laugh and walk away though too. Luckily I have been more like Toby, in the case that when I throw on my suit coat, put on the charm and sense of humor to "entertain" I tend to get A LOT of attention and that is even with a wedding ring on my finger. Ha Ha.
Haha, Rick, ladies like the "forbidden fruit" and the challenge that goes into getting it ;)
You mentioned one more important thing, and that's confidence. You can have the best "double lift with diagonal palm shift into one handed pass behind the back twister while palming a medium sized tree frog from your pocket... I got lost..." in your repertoire, but it means very little to nothing if you don't have the confidence. Women just like confident guys who can make them laugh.
Magic is just something that makes you different, that makes you stand out from the crowd. But how long will you remain standing, it's up to your other traits, personality and physical traits.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results