Magic intro?

Nov 19, 2008
Hello all.

I'm quite new to magic (i've been practicing for like 4 months)
I don't know if im the only one having this problem?? I feel it's hard to make a "story" out of my tricks. You know, to keep telling what and why i do in the trick.

Maybe bad explained.. Here's an example:

I do "MC donalds 100$ trick" and i make an intro speech like "Hey! did you know that the Ace of spades is like a black hole? All the other aces will seek to the black hole... and so on"
This makes the spectator more interested.

My english is aint that good, so it might not be easy to read xD
Anyways.. If you have a good intro to a trick, i will be pleased to hear about it :)

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
Hello all.

to keep telling why i do in the trick.

I don't think magic needs a reason. That's why it's magic right? What i do most of the time is just act like each effect is actually possible but most people don't know that it can be done. Example: "There is something weird you can do with the Jack of Hearts...". Or sometimes I just narrate what is going on. Example: If I just wave the card look what happens...

Mar 29, 2008
Don't listen to those above - as they are further ahead of you in their journey, but both the above suggestions lack any real concept to make your magic entertaining, you obviously want to add more than "watch...watch...look something cool happened".

Here is how to make your magic better...and this is harder when you are young, but more amazing when you do it.

Take a look at the world around you...yep YOU. Observe life. Politics, school dynamics, relationships, family, things we have in common, what makes magic special, something you believe in like the fight against aids, or cancer or something as simple as being postivie and believing in yourself - take ANYTHING that people can identify with...sometimes it can just be..."have you ever" statements...like, Have you ever wondered what it would look like if you could cut to any card you wanted? For McDonald's Aces - you could say...imagine you could take the best card out of everyone's hand while playing poker, and put them in yours for your worst!! OR What you are about to see is one of the tests of all magicians - like the cups and balls - the goal is to do something magical with the aces under impossible conditions....anyhow, once you have a premise...run with it for the effect. Make the effect represent what you are talking about.

You can spend AS much if not MORE time on how you present something, versus how you are doing it (technique) but as you grow in magic, you will see how they go hand in hand to make a perfect picture.

As for now, try to stay away from the above suggestions and don't present the magic as it is "childish", even though you may be young, try to give it meaning by educating on who you are, or something we have in common, a story that people can get into (as seen in Gambler versus Magician).

Lastly, I recommend reading...yep, as always "STRONG MAGIC" by Darwin Ortiz - it has changed MANY magicians lives, and helped them understand the principles in presentations. Also, such books as Transformations by Lawerence Hass or Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe and contributers, will be a great addition in the future.

My point is this - magic is the medium NOT the message...you are the message, what do you want to say? Something people can identify with, laugh at and enjoy, learn about you and what magic really is - OR - "There is something weird you can do with the Jack of Hearts..."? It is ultimately your choice - but I have chosen to do what I recommend in my career with magic...and it has made all the difference in what people get out of my work.

Nov 19, 2008
Don't listen to those above - as they are further ahead of you in their journey, but both the above suggestions lack any real concept to make your magic entertaining, you obviously want to add more than "watch...watch...look something cool happened".

Here is how to make your magic better...and this is harder when you are young, but more amazing when you do it.

Take a look at the world around you...yep YOU. Observe life. Politics, school dynamics, relationships, family, things we have in common, what makes magic special, something you believe in like the fight against aids, or cancer or something as simple as being postivie and believing in yourself - take ANYTHING that people can identify with...sometimes it can just be..."have you ever" statements...like, Have you ever wondered what it would look like if you could cut to any card you wanted? For McDonald's Aces - you could say...imagine you could take the best card out of everyone's hand while playing poker, and put them in yours for your worst!! OR What you are about to see is one of the tests of all magicians - like the cups and balls - the goal is to do something magical with the aces under impossible conditions....anyhow, once you have a premise...run with it for the effect. Make the effect represent what you are talking about.

You can spend AS much if not MORE time on how you present something, versus how you are doing it (technique) but as you grow in magic, you will see how they go hand in hand to make a perfect picture.

As for now, try to stay away from the above suggestions and don't present the magic as it is "childish", even though you may be young, try to give it meaning by educating on who you are, or something we have in common, a story that people can get into (as seen in Gambler versus Magician).

Lastly, I recommend reading...yep, as always "STRONG MAGIC" by Darwin Ortiz - it has changed MANY magicians lives, and helped them understand the principles in presentations. Also, such books as Transformations by Lawerence Hass or Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe and contributers, will be a great addition in the future.

My point is this - magic is the medium NOT the message...you are the message, what do you want to say? Something people can identify with, laugh at and enjoy, learn about you and what magic really is - OR - "There is something weird you can do with the Jack of Hearts..."? It is ultimately your choice - but I have chosen to do what I recommend in my career with magic...and it has made all the difference in what people get out of my work.

Many wise words there. I think it requires more insight in the world and in people, to get the perfect presentation. Anyway, i will try keep improving myself :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results