Magic Inventing

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hey...

Well inspiration can come from anything really, be it things around the home, things in movies, music, wildlife, dreams, other magic... and your imagination.

I mean just let your imagination guide you, allow it to come up with completely out there ideas and seemingly impossible things... come up with what you want first... worry about the method etc after.

Once you have the idea of what you want, then start experimenting and working on ways to achieve the thing you desire.

Every body should have seen Krash by now, he is all over the threads with all his posting. Any him and I have came up with 2 effects and a few cool new principles. But don't worry guys if we every decide to sell them then we will work them out on the streets first, unlike some effects on some sites. Anyways, a or a few magic buddies are good to have. Gorrilaz russel on aim, add me to your buddy list, im a nice guy. i like to list to a band called foxy shazam! they are a crazy soul/pop/50's surf band from Cincinnati, ohio. Just to get the ball rolling on the creative aspects of magic. also Krash and I have been looking at old myths and stuff and making them a reality. Also don't limit yourself. If you need a gimmick, make sure u end clean thats its thanks for reading.

Sep 2, 2007
London
When you want to create new effects/tricks/routines. Think of what you would WANT it to do. E.g one of mine was wanting to be able to wave a card and it would change in value. I then took it step by step:

Desired effect
Possible methods/explanations
Pick one you want to use
Practise it.

After those steps i came up with a very complicated switch which involved grasping a card between my first and pinky fingers.

Then i discovered the snap change...

-_-.

Hope this helped!

-Jon

I would like to say that there is a miracle formula to creating effects, but there isn't. You just have to find your own "niche" in creating. We can't help you with your own creating methods, you must look within yourself to find the way that's best for you to create.

Mitchell

Aug 31, 2007
Stay away from the cards + coins. If you create something with them, chances are it's been done already. Be creative. :)

John :cool:

Aug 31, 2007
Some sound advice right there...

Thank you. :)

Here's some more advice: Choose a random object laying around your house. Now ask yourself this question: What can I do with this? To get you started think like this: Could it disappear? Could it levitate? Could it be torn and restored? Could it transform? Could it spontaneously combust? Figure out what you can do. Then, think about HOW to do it. Do you need, and TT, a duplicate object, glue? Start off like that.

I hope this short little guide helps. But don't forget: Step away from the Bikes and coins. Now. ;)

John :cool:

Sep 2, 2007
Like Dan and Dave said

"Go to your libriary and get all the books on magic, the effects might not be as powerful as today's, but they're based on teh same principles."

I don't think the last part of the quote was right but you get the picture.

Anyway I'm making me self a librairy card tomorrow and getting those books! The best advice I can give is to think of a effect that invovlves you and the audience, then mkae the trick.

It's all about connecting with your spectators

Aug 31, 2007
Like Dan and Dave said

"Go to your libriary and get all the books on magic, the effects might not be as powerful as today's, but they're based on teh same principles."

I don't think the last part of the quote was right but you get the picture.

Anyway I'm making me self a librairy card tomorrow and getting those books! The best advice I can give is to think of a effect that invovlves you and the audience, then mkae the trick.

It's all about connecting with your spectators

That's some more sound advice. ;)

I totally agree with the D&D quote. Ever seen the effect by Cyril Takayama where he pulls the hamburger out of the fast-food sign? Well, I was reading through Tarbell Vol. 8, and I saw something almost exactly like that. The Tarbell series was published before nearly all of us were born. And yet, we find in there an effect which is used by more of the most talented magicians of our age. An effect may be old, but with proper presentation and personal modifications, it can be made into something amazing. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results