Magic Piracy Stopped - A day to celebrate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2012
Canada
Hi all!

It's been a while since I logged in, because I was on vacation !!!

Now that I'm back I want to share some very good news with you, let's get down to business, shall we...

Some of my friends a long time ago found out this site: http://www.magicvideosfree.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

They said it was pretty cool, so I checked it out, but to my surprise it wasn't any different than most other Magic-EXPOSING sites. This site was extreme with Magic-exposing. It had Magic Download, Magic Request, Magic sharing, etc. You were even allowed to upload PDFs that are being sold. I was very disappointed, and couldn't do much so after that I never went back.

When I came back from vacation, my friend started telling me that that site closed down, and how he was upset !!! :D

I was like YES, finally !!!

If any of you know about this site then you know how extreme it was, and if you don't go check it out. The site itself isn't closed down, however all of the Magic Sharing is gone. The MOD didn't want it to be a Magic-exposing site anymore, so he took this action !!!

He is thinking about closing the site, or turning it into a Magic discussion site. Both are fine with me, at least it's not a Magic Sharing site anymore !!!

One of the biggest threats to Magic were removed, this is the good news, I hope ya'll are happy !!! :D :D

I certainly am !!! :)

P.S. Obviously Magic Piracy is not fully stopped, but if this happened then I'm sure more and more actions like this would take place in the future. One site is gone, and it was the most extreme of them all.

Another IMPORTANT thing I want to tell you. When you go to the site (use my line above) click "home" in the top left corner. Then on home click PDFs, that shows all of the previous PDFs that were shared on the site. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of PDFs that were being shared illegally. I was shocked. This proves the websites level of extremity. Now I'm very happy thats gone. We should pass on this news.

LOL...also they think that "Theory11" hired hackers to take down their site. Now that's funny as hell !!!
Like we don't have anything better to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to handle sites like this is to just out right ignore them. Don't post their links, don't talk about them, don't give them any attention, and certainly don't go rushing back to join their forums just because it looks like they've turned over a new leaf. Just because the mods have changed (if they've changed) doesn't mean the community's mind set is any different. You're probably still dealing with a forum full of hacks, wanna-be's, and never was.

You're better off just not going near that place.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
IMPORTANT NOTE (albeit, a hint personal)

One of these Name & Shame type sites is being pushed by a UK based group and as such, one of the names (when it comes to individuals they consider to be a "Pirate", is me. . . you'll even see it posted boldly on one particular person's Lulu Storefront with a reward offered to anyone that finds me seeking to get copies of his material). But there are things that people muddle when it comes to definitions, especially in an era where we can bend & twist words to mean what we want them to vs. what Merriam Webster presents.

BOOTLEGGERS at least since the early 1970s into the early 2000s, referred to people that copied & manufactured effects without legal consent. This is an issue that was "invented" within the magic community specifically due to one particular incident involving a Chicago based builder named Jim Sommers and a certain British gent named Robert Harbin and issues around the Zig Zag. Sommers was the first to build the effect (I believe it was prior to the book's release) and perform it but, given his low standing at the Magic Castle vs. Harbin's, a big to-do came about. This was the first time that the "establishment" put its two-cents into such a thing . . . up to this point in time copying an effect wasn't just common place, it was what gave the magic industry a healthy level of honest competition e.g. price & quality could be shopped by consumers vs. our being forced to pay premium rates without option.

The Thayer Magic Company alongside Abbotts, the two biggest magic producers for decades, would have the biggest position of gain, had they enforced the whole "Intellectual Property" issue in their day. Magic would have lost on many significant levels had they done such. Oddly, I am in the vicarious position of benefiting from these "protections" against bootleg magic because of my ties to Creative Illusions & Ken Whitaker as well as other designers of note. I love seeing royalty checks BUT, I also think such thinking has become extreme and started hurting magic as well as compounding the already outrageous political manipulations therein. We must now pay more if we want to do a piece we purchased outright, if we do it on TV and even then we must pay more if we do it locally or nationally in one country vs. another country, etc. In some instances we have to get permission from the builder and developer, just to sell a piece and worse yet, certain props require that we send the item back to the purchased source to allow them to handle the sell, from which you get a fraction of the price paid.

Kind of makes you wonder who the "Pirates" are, doesn't it?

PIRATES when it comes to books and other such media (CD, DVD, Video, etc.) are something that oozed out of the music industry more than anywhere else. This is the world where mass reproduction of albums, photos, posters, etc. that were "unauthorized" by the corporate entities that surround musical performers and certain iconic actors, exists. Today, the primary source of Pirated Material is the Chinese Military of all things. Long story short, the government cut back on military salaries and told them to figure out how to fix things for themselves. The result was bootlegging copies of popular music releases, motion pictures, and products. Today this ideology has spread into South & Central America (the #2 leader of such work) and parts of Africa as well as the Russian mob. . . an interesting thing when you consider how much it's costing the Italian/Jewish/Irish a.k.a. American Mob.

My point is, "Pirated" material is mass produced and used either as a form of barter/horse trading or as a vehicle via which personal or group capitol is generated; frequently through the auspices of eBay and similar auction sites, but likewise through "Free" outlets like Torrents and File Share networks (which have been seriously curbed in the past two years).

A PIRATE IS NOT an individual that loans or borrows books/dvds, etc. amongst a small handful of trusted friends. Nor is a Pirate an individual that shares a purchase with one or two friends that have chipped in to purchase a book or similar source. Let's face it, many of us can't afford $80.00 books but we could afford $20 bucks or so. . . having a couple of chums in the same shoes means you can all have the thing you're after as EQUAL partners.

When I was younger the borrowing/lending of books and even swapping of texts was common place, it's what FRIENDS and NEIGHBORS did and how the sense of COMMUNITY was defined. I'm certain that many here owe their "success" when it comes to learning, to those mentors and guides that shared such material even though it has become more and more a "delicate" process these days as the result of faux ethics & morality which would be better defined by one simple word -- GREED with a big chunk of ego tossed in on the side.

FREE ACCESS to materials, including recent releases is very common in the outside world as well as magic; it comes in the form of Libraries belonging to individuals and/or clubs. Some would tell us that "loaning" material is a breech of copy right and yet, the Federal Government and the majority of major publishers in the world don't see it that way. Material donated to libraries of all kinds, is there for public consumption, PERIOD.

Granted, there are a handful of limited instances in which corporate and even military related materials fell into such a setting and by formal request, said pieces have been "censored" -- removed from "general" public access. . . it would still be available upon request and sometimes with the requisite letter of permission or things like the "freedom of information act", but access existed. I'm not aware of any case in which complete "official" removal of materials has occurred, though I'm more than confident that some have deliberately stolen books from libraries and even book retailers, because they didn't want the material available to the general public. . . this includes magicians removing texts from the shelves of Barnes & Noble or similar sources.

THINK ABOUT THIS. . . how far would magic had evolved if things like the Thumb Tip, could only be purchased legally, through one or two sanctioned sources? What if the only type of TT available was made of Wood or Metal as most of the earlier versions of the gimmick were (along with clay and bee's wax)? More so, what if you had to first pay the company that held the copyright and patents, etc. on that device $50.00 just for the right to buy it. . . then you had to pay an additional $100.00 or whatever the asking price was set at, in order to have it and yet, you were only allowed to use this thing in certain restricted areas of the state, provence, nation. . . unless you paid another $50.00 to buy more territory. . . or you had to pay an additional $100.00 to use it on Tv. Worse yet, if you come up with an effect that used this amazing gimmick, you had to share the profits with the holder of the rights to said device and it could only be sold through that source and to those they deemed worthy. . .

Does this sound like a productive way to allow magic or any industry/art to grow & evolve?

Absolutely Not! Yet, that is the direction things seem to be headed as more and more "innovators" use legal jargon and manipulations as a way to "protect" their brain children a.k.a. put money in their pocket while building a brand name around themselves, alongside the myth of greatness due to exclusivity.

Like I said, I love my royalties BUT, I love magic far more and as such, there are very few things that I've developed that I'd place restrictions on. Usually items that I've developed for a specific person or act vs. general release as well as those that I only want a limited release of (there's 3 such pieces on the horizon btw . . . and I am shopping for the right crafts people for making them). In general, and as most of you have witnessed, I give it away because I want YOU to grow. But look at my inspirations. . . it's easy, just look at Tarbell or Corinda or any number of other books printed during the early into the mid 20th century and count how many familiar & legendary names you find as contributors to these books or any number of magazines. None of them were paid for these contributions, they gave because of the art (as well as friendship).

We need to get back to THAT mode of thinking and toss this selfishness and self-serving off to the side; Greed gets us nowhere fast. While we may end up with carnal wealth & things, we typically loose our humanity and between you and me, that's too high a price to pay.

NO, I'm not cosigning the idea of piracy on any level. I'll go after a thief. . . a genuine criminal, in a hot second (and have). But you will never hear me raise hell over the act of borrowing & lending. . . and yes, that includes digital copies in that it's the only way we can do such now days unless it's a physical book we mail. . . even then, I've had at least one incident in which the person I lent a physical copy to, scan and attempt to use it as barter (at the Cafe, no less. Said crook is now part of their management team).

I encourage you all to give pause when it comes to this issue and do some serious thinking as to what is and is not Piracy and why.

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
The best way to handle sites like this is to just out right ignore them. Don't post their links, don't talk about them, don't give them any attention, and certainly don't go rushing back to join their forums just because it looks like they've turned over a new leaf. Just because the mods have changed (if they've changed) doesn't mean the community's mind set is any different. You're probably still dealing with a forum full of hacks, wanna-be's, and never was.

You're better off just not going near that place.

True that.

We shouldn't go rushing back because they've changed the rules. It's good that they changed the rules, however the people are the same, and I'm assuming they didn't change at all.

I was only sharing this with you guys, because I'm very happy that the Magic Sharing part of this forum is closed. This forum was very extreme as I said. They literally gave free access to thousands of PDFs illegally. So we all should be very glad that it's gone now. Well at least I am.

Even if this was not Magic Piracy, it was still very illegal by Magic Standards.

Also I still find it very funny that they thought we were hiring hackers to access their personal forum info and change it...LOL !!! :D

P.S. You check this guy out named Haroon Sader, he wants Magic Piracy to stop however he has an "active" account on SoMF. Funny as hell :)
And I'm not the one saying that he wants Magic Piracy to stop. Indeed he himself said that on the other thread related to Magic Piracy !!!

What do you think? Is he a good troll? Or is he the most ignorant person in Magic? I think he's trolling around in a funny way...LOL!

Also as I said FreeMagicVideos was the most extreme. I also want to say that forums such as SoMF, and LMT don't upload PDFs illegally, HOWEVER they expose Magic by posting. They don't have the Magic Downloading system but they have the Magic Sharing system. Either way it's terrible. SoMF and LMT aren't any better, IMO. They should also stop Magic Sharing. Like don't you have anything better to do than expose other people's effects. They are not even your effects, and you still decide to give the secrets away for free.

...Shame *Sighs*

True that.

We shouldn't go rushing back because they've changed the rules. It's good that they changed the rules, however the people are the same, and I'm assuming they didn't change at all.

I was only sharing this with you guys, because I'm very happy that the Magic Sharing part of this forum is closed. This forum was very extreme as I said. They literally gave free access to thousands of PDFs illegally. So we all should be very glad that it's gone now. Well at least I am.

Even if this was not Magic Piracy, it was still very illegal by Magic Standards.

Also I still find it very funny that they thought we were hiring hackers to access their personal forum info and change it...LOL !!! :D

P.S. You check this guy out named Haroon Sader, he wants Magic Piracy to stop however he has an "active" account on SoMF. Funny as hell :)
And I'm not the one saying that he wants Magic Piracy to stop. Indeed he himself said that on the other thread related to Magic Piracy !!!

What do you think? Is he a good troll? Or is he the most ignorant person in Magic? I think he's trolling around in a funny way...LOL!

Also as I said FreeMagicVideos was the most extreme. I also want to say that forums such as SoMF, and LMT don't upload PDFs illegally, HOWEVER they expose Magic by posting. They don't have the Magic Downloading system but they have the Magic Sharing system. Either way it's terrible. SoMF and LMT aren't any better, IMO. They should also stop Magic Sharing. Like don't you have anything better to do than expose other people's effects. They are not even your effects, and you still decide to give the secrets away for free.

...Shame *Sighs*
Yes, I am on Somf , its a good forum, similar to the magic cafe, I won't deny it. I don't know what you have against me, I didn't come here to fight, somf is a protected forum, the only way you would know if I'm a member, is if your'e one yourself...
Oh and you should also know that "Mark Bendell, and "Dan Harlan", are also members of SOMF.

Dec 20, 2012
I'd like to see what "Sleight of Cards" (great name) replies to this one-judging by the tone he writes his posts in he doesn't seem like the brightest chap so don't be too harsh on the poor guy.

I'd like to see what "Sleight of Cards" (great name) replies to this one-judging by the tone he writes his posts in he doesn't seem like the brightest chap so don't be too harsh on the poor guy.

Thanks Naploleon, I'm new on the forum, well I've been registered for a year now, but only recently became an active member.
There's no need for someone to act like that, is there? I didn't do anything and yet he called me a troll, like seriously. Well anyway "Sleight of cards", I told you... I'm not here to fight with anyone, but rather, to discuss and take our art further, now please stop with the insults, they have no basis and are rather childish.

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
I already PM'd Haroon about this. Matter solved :)

This is actually a serious topic. No legit Magician, or Theory11 follower likes SoMF, or LMT, etc. All of these are plain stupid forums, with ignorant people. They hurt our art of Magic. Haroon might of not known this, so sorry. But if ya want to make any friends on Theory11, ya got to leave those sites.

I learned the hard way. Read my intro thread. I talked about registering on SoMF and LMT, but learned my lesson. You should take this under consideration as well.

And Napolean welcome to the forums :D (I see that you got 1 post). Btw thanks for saying "Great name" !!! :D

P.S. Haroon I didn't call you a troll. Read my words carefully "I think he might be a good troll, or ignorant". I never said "You are a troll".

Let's drop this argument and move on, and once again I'm sorry Haroon.

P.S. Haroon if you still think SoMF is very protected then see my post on the other related thread.

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
Oh jeez, you guys won't believe what I found. I was over at my friends house, and he was on SoMF, so I just took a quick look, and I almost died of laughter !!! :)

You know the new Napoleon dude around here, actually NapoleonII. Well under who's online (on SoMF) I saw his name. I'm pretty surprised. Also he's a new member, he signed up on there after he read this thread. Wow I can't believe my eyes. How can people be like that.

I'm only saying this, because this proves he's a troll. We shouldn't do this. Napolean may I ask, why did you sign up on SoMF, after reading about its Magic-exposing?

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
I agree with Josh, we all get it, and while your mission may be justified we are going to have to accept that it will happen regardless, while its a sad day it happens.

Oh jeez, you guys won't believe what I found. I was over at my friends house, and he was on SoMF, so I just took a quick look, and I almost died of laughter !!! :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is no friend - you're visiting that site yourself.
That's besides the point - and you need not reply to it - what I will say though:

I'm just as against piracy in any form, but I think time could be better spent than cross referencing members from forums you 'approve' and forums you 'disapprove' of.

I suggest you take Josh' advice.

I think this thread has run its course...

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is no friend - you're visiting that site yourself.
That's besides the point - and you need not reply to it - what I will say though:

I'm just as against piracy in any form, but I think time could be better spent than cross referencing members from forums you 'approve' and forums you 'disapprove' of.

I suggest you take Josh' advice.

I think this thread has run its course...

He makes a very good point, instead of doing this spend your time practicing your magic and getting good at it, it just seems you can spend your time with better ventures if you ask me.

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
1) My friend was the one, no joke. Believe it or not. Sorry but I had to reply. I don't want to create more confusion. I know the truth and God himself knows. It's about time I stay away from these sites. Maybe this is a call to stop making these kinds of friends.

2) Josh thanks you. There are bad people and we are helpless :(

Maybe it's time we give up.

P.S. I will try to not discuss about these people. But it really disappoints me deep in my heart. I really want this Magic Piracy to stop, but again I can't do much. So better off to stop and give up.

I'm very sad :(

I love our art, and I hate it when people play this crap. Many forums are giving free access to Magic effects, and I'm very mad, but again helpless :(

Maybe in the future something can be done. I'm at least happy, FreeMagicVideos is done with. I will spend my time practicing Magic now, because fighting against Magic Piracy is no use. It's about time I realized.

Thank you all for your advice.

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
1) My friend was the one, no joke. Believe it or not. Sorry but I had to reply. We don't want to create more confusion. I know the truth and God himself.

2) Josh thanks you. There are bad people and we are helpless :(

Maybe it's time we give up.

P.S. I will try to not discuss about these people. But it really disappoints me deep in my heart. I really want this Magic Piracy to stop, but again I can't do much. So better off to stop and give up.

I'm very sad :(

I love our art, and I hate it when people play this crap. Many forums are giving free access to Magic effects, and I'm very mad, but again helpless :(

Maybe in the future something can be done. I'm at least happy, FreeMagicVideos is done with. I will spend my time practicing Magic now, because fighting against Magic Piracy is no use. It's about time I realized.

Oh lord, if anything you have destroyed it tonight with posting all these sites where you can find it, and i wouldn't be so sure about anything, in my experience sites like this come back up within days, i have had some of my effects posted on these sites without my permission it happens sometimes.

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
You cant ever let this anger consume you, as Craig stated royalties are great but this is going to happen and its out of our control sometimes, as long as you don't promote these type of sites they can stay relatively unknown to most of the magic public.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Your best bet is to ignore them and move on with your life. Sure they are stealing effects from people, but as of right now they have no impact on your life at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results