Magic Shop Review: Barry's Magic - Rockville, Maryland

[/B][/B]Hey everyone! First off let me apologize. I had my wisdom teeth removed this morning and am still not functioning at 100%. So if I miss a few words or spell them incorrectly, I am sorry, just try to do your best to figure out what I mean. And I am sorry to say that I didn't get a video of me all screwed up after the surgery. Anyway, on to the review of the best magic shop I have ever seen. Jay Sankey even called it "The best magic shop ever."

bREIF HISTORY...

Barry's Magic Shop is a very large magic store that contains everything from old books costing 300$, all the way to the latest DVD's such as Jay Sankey's Kaleidoscope. The shops exact location is: 5544 - A Nicholson Lane, Rockville, Maryland, 20852. The website is www.BarrysMagicShop.com.

The store is run by a very interesting and humorous man. Barry Taylor. He owns and runs the shop along with his wife and son. All of them, professional magicians. Barry's wife stopped performing a while ago but their son, Brian, still works at restaurants and cruise ships occasionally. Barry, himself, performs weekly right in the store. They have their own stage set up with chairs for the kids. He is also hired to go and perform at private events and things like that. Parents can book childrens parties to come right into the shop to watch a show.

Barry has developed a very unique and interesting performance style. At first he comes off as incredibly cheesy, but after watching a routine by him, this cheesiness makes him so much fun and just makes you laugh. It is intended to be this way.

When I was on the train, heading out to the store, I had some thoughts that perhaps the shop would be so tiny and not worth the trouble. But, to my delight, the store was gigantic, and packed with magic from all era's. I was simply ecstatic when I walked in and began to peruse the store. Me and Brian instantly sparked up conversation and began discussing our styles. Through him, I learned that many famous magicians had gone into the shop to do lectures, just stop in, or do a private performance. Some of those magicians are quite famous: Penn & Teller, Lance Burton, Jay Sankey, and David Copperfeild, to name a few.

Soon, I met Barry who showed me a few of his original tricks as well as gave me a couple more props for my kids show. He was very nice and all of his items were reasonably priced. He evn through in a free jumbo quarter, and poker chip matrix effect. Niw, I have chosen to write a review of the store...

ORGANIZATION...

This shop isn't just thrown together in a disorderly fashion. no. It is very neat and tidy, even with their pet dog wandering freely through the store. Movie masks line the top of the room. Magic books are all on three or four book cases in the middle of the room. 2 more cases hold some DVD's and so do some racks that spin around. There is also the stage area where Barry performs his shows, and there is a large table covered with a card mat for when he is messing around, or when a magician is giving a lecture. There is also a corner of the room that is covered with a backdrop. This is where he does filming for his DVD's. Yep!!! He makes his own effects, complete with DVD's!!! We'll get into that in a bit.

VARIETY...

As mentioned earlier this store has a ton of variety. They have old books as well as the new books. DVD's from some of the most respected artists of today such as Sankey, Houchin, Garcia, Miller, Malone, and many more. You can also purchase small gag and joke related items from a counter next to the door. Although, the store is mainly focused on magic and illusion, meaning there are only a few jokes and pranks.

As you move towards the back of the store there is a large glass case that wraps around the interior of the store. Inside, are all of the common things: Floating Canes, Flasf Paper, Appearing Canes, Cardtoon Decks, Ravens, Gecko's, etc. On tod of that case there are smaller cases that roatate that hold an asortment of playing cards. Coca Cola Cards, Bicycle Cards, Bicycle Vintage, Tally Ho's, Tall Ho Viper's, Centurions, Ghosts, Tigers, Scorpions, Karnivals, Karnival Midnights, Guardians, Magenta Bicycles, Pink Bicycles, Black Bicycles, Green Bicycles, etc, etc, etc...

HOSPITALLITY...

When you walk into the store kthere is a very different feeling to it. The family welcomes you in and doesn't hastle you and try to sell you everything they have. They simply ask if you are new to magic or know what you are doing, and offer help if you need it. They are very nice and allow you to see them perform the tricks before they sell them to you, and if you buy it and need help, then you can bring it down and they'll help you, one on one. They are very kind people and understandng of every single person. They also know what they are talking about and can point you in the right direction if you tell them what you are in to.

Now, their store doesn't carry things like True Astonishments, but if you call them, or email them, they will gladly order it for you and ship it to your home. If you need any refils or replacements, they will also restock you for a low price if you just give them a shout. They are very nice people.

PRODUCTS...

The products that they have for sale, cards, DVD's, books, you name it, are top of the line and are well worth the money they ask for it. They also do not overprice anything! In addition to the products that everyone knows about: Thread, Loops, Complete Course In Magic, etc. They also carry their very own products which feature Barry's own creations. Each one is very good and fun to perform, but they will need some time and effort to perfect.

I urchased two of Barry's DVD's from them. The first is called "Quess Again Card Revelation" and the second is: "Half Gone". I will give a breif description of both.

Ques Again: This trick starts with 3 nine of hearts' and one queen of spades. The queen is mixed in with the nines and spectators are asked to quess wich card is the queen. But all the cards are flipped over one at a time and all four are nines. The queen appeared in your pocket. Tee trick is repeated and again vanishes. Tge last time you tell them to flip the queen over by themselves when they are done inspecting it. Tjhey do and a jumbo quarter appears. The card they checked is then flipped over and is a nine.

Half Gone: This has the GREATESR, I really mean it, the BEST gimmick I've ever seen. It is so simple. The trick is a whole routine but if you don't want to do sleights then you can just do the first phase and amaze everyone. The effect is that a quarter is magically produced and placed on the back of a spectators hand. It is covered with a playing card. Though, the quarter is out of sight, they can still feel it. With no sleights the card is lifted and the quarter is gone and the card is normal. You can do thgis short sleeved. NO PULLIES!!! You then can reproduce a quarter and then turn it into a jumbo quarter.

The tricks are genius!!! I am practicing them non-stop for my events coming up.

All In All...

The shop is the coolest shop I've ever seen. It is filled with tons of quality gimmicks, DVD's, cards, books, and teachers that are worth the price. You will be accepted there and will instantly make friends. The tricks that barry Himself created are amazing and have been purchased WORLDWIDE!!!

So next time you are in Maryland, or you are in Washington DC, take the train to the stop called "White Flint" and go and pay this shoip a visit. You will not be disapointed.

Dylan P.

V

vedder10

Thanks for the info I actually live in Maryland and my wife works in Rockville, which happens to be where I grew up and I never even knew about this place. Thanks I will give it a visit this weekend.

May 27, 2008
WV
www.sinimagic.com
Agree with you on all counts. Barry's is a great Magic Shop. I've dropped a lot of coin in that place, but Barry and his staff always go the extra mile. Barry will even work with you on your purchase so show you some subtlies.

I also have HALF GONE, and while I haven't performed it for a few months, it is a great trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results