Magicians on AGT Tonight

Jul 13, 2009
I like seeing the arm buzz saw and have been wanting to see one being used for a long while, however I kind of feel that there was to much going on for this one trick. It could of been played up more then it was. I think Pier is right, but I also feel Dan's reply was correct as well. Kind of torn between the two. However, I do agree with Howie I started seeing just another magician instead of Dan Sperry.

Antonio,

[video=youtube;flOvM4Z355A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flOvM4Z355A[/video]

Yeah, that is about it. Kind of would like to see Antonio go through because he isn't your standard illusionist. But so is Dan, however Dan's act I do not think can not reach the Flashiness that it really needs to wow America as a whole. IDK kind of a toss up.

Sep 20, 2009
I know for a fact that the producers of the show pick what they want the acts to really do. they have to show the producers what they want to do, and then the producers tell them yes or no, or you need to do this or that.

you can tell on Dan's face he didn't want to do what he did, and if he doesn't make it, i'll be pissed... what did the fire guy do? a bunch of cheesy arm movements.. and all the cheese before he reappeared, took too long... bollocks i think, and it was boring.. fire does not equal entertainment

Sep 20, 2009
watched them again.. he had 30 seconds, to just walk out the back and behind the black screen and appear.. thats horrid.. 30 seconds is as bad as Criss Angel's Metamorphoses.. and the judges talk about it not being about Dan's Character.. did anyone not notice that Antonio wasn't on stage for half his performance? and it's all abut the fire.. lets be consistent judges

i'm really pissed off about this

Apr 1, 2009
California
My main complaint with Dan's act was that I was not able to see the performance... it did seem hidden. I've seen him do this act before and it felt much more open. I have a bad feeling he won't make it through. I love his work, but felt like piers killed his chance.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Wow,

I really love Dan's character and material, but at this point in the game you want to involve as many people as possible! You DON'T want to do an effect where everything is hidden, or such an obvious prop.

I want to believe in what Dan said, but these judges are looking for real magic... there's no room for imagination. THREAD would have had a bigger impact than that. I bet if he would've done 'Blockhead' he would have gotten enormous reactions.

Just bad choices in material :\ I really want to see you in the Finals Dan, don't shut everyone out.

Jul 13, 2009
It took thirty seconds to change out an arm, compared to a vanish and reappearance, one of the acts could of been a bit quicker and clearer.

Jul 13, 2009
watched them again.. he had 30 seconds, to just walk out the back and behind the black screen and appear.. thats horrid.. 30 seconds is as bad as Criss Angel's Metamorphoses.. and the judges talk about it not being about Dan's Character.. did anyone not notice that Antonio wasn't on stage for half his performance? and it's all abut the fire.. lets be consistent judges

Besides this being borderline exposure, watch out magic castle member ^^, The thing about Antonio is fire and over the top in your face metal head kind of guy is his character. The girls, the fire, all of it is Antonio. Also, I believe How, did say it is about Dan's character. The effect he was either forced or chose to do did not look good, nor did it feel Dan Sperry. It was just not that great or just didn't play well for television. I bet the routine looks fine on stage live.

Another thing is you say be consistent judges and earlier you said that it is cut by producers, how do you know the judges aren't subjects of the producer's cuts as well? For all we know their words could of been jumbled and mismatched to fit the opinion of the producers. You just can't tell, so sit back and just enjoy the acts. Besides, if these performers are smart, they'll go the Bizarro route and put this in their promo material. It is a win win anyway, plus isn't the main prize like a contract with a music thing? Not sure how that works, you probably no more then I do about that.

Sep 20, 2009
i don't think he wanted to do anything that would "gross" people out, and i'm telling you i would bet a whole bunch of money that the producers told him he had to do something "stagey" like that, he didn't look happy..

you have to be realistic, people know he couldn't cut off someones arm and then reattach it, so a fake arm is what everyone thinks before they even showed the thing. so what he said is true, it's about for that moment believing why not.. hell why not... and keeping with what Dan said, how many of us go to disneyland and know the ghost are fake but enjoy it and wonder what if it was real, i mean i believe in the paranormal anyway so for me it's not hard... but i'm just saying.

to be honest i think they didn't want him on the tour, you have to understand the producers want whoever will draw crowds, and buy tickets. they have to appeal to middle America

Sep 20, 2009
i don't think what i said is exposer, it's not rocket science to figure that out.. were all magicians here we should be able to at least discuss that.. i don't think my Membership at the castle will be in any kind of Jeprody

No your right about the fact that the judges say what the producers want them to say. so you can never really trust the judges as being real judges anyway... in fact you can't even trust the voting process. because the producers can say whoever they want got the most votes. if you really think about it it's all bollocks. no one really knows the truth besides the producres.

the top 10 go on the America's Got Talent tour, and the winner headlines it, then the final stop is in vegas i believe. i don't know how long in vegas probably only a night or so, it's not a standing show. so no it doesn't have anything to do with music.

yeah i agree it's just exposer for him, get his name out there. he doesn't need to win this, and he said he didn't really care if he won or not.

Jul 13, 2009
i don't think he wanted to do anything that would "gross" people out, and i'm telling you i would bet a whole bunch of money that the producers told him he had to do something "stagey" like that, he didn't look happy..

you have to be realistic, people know he couldn't cut off someones arm and then reattach it, so a fake arm is what everyone thinks before they even showed the thing. so what he said is true, it's about for that moment believing why not.. hell why not... and keeping with what Dan said, how many of us go to disneyland and know the ghost are fake but enjoy it and wonder what if it was real, i mean i believe in the paranormal anyway so for me it's not hard... but i'm just saying.

Okay I will be realistic, magic is fake. Done, but that isn't a satisfactory answer so I will continue. Antonio and Dan both did wonderful performances of classic illusions brought to modern times. Now if we step back and look at both performance, we can see that both incredibly fake. However, Dan failed to get one person to suspend disbelief. The effect was asking too much from the audience. When he was first introduced to the audience he did a semi-realistic and plausible trick. Sure someone can go saw string into their throat, not many will though, so to an audience Dan's freakish nature made the effect plausible. However, tonight he asked the audience to believe he could cut someone's fore arm off then tattoo the chunk of meat and restore it back on. Does anyone else see the giant gap?

It went from a plausible trick into something unbelievable, a stage illusion. Personally, I would of thought Coin operated boy would of worked better here.

Antonio on the other hand can get away with the super flashy and even sometimes silly illusions because that is what he initially pitched to America and the judges. He set his standards with fire, magic and knockers, which he consistently delivers. A vanish isn't a far step away from the other illusions that he has done on the show thus far.

In conclusion I feel Dan's act was to big of a leap from performance to performance and was a little out of the set character he had from the first appearance on the show.

Sep 20, 2009
No, your right and i Concur with you on that point mate...

but i've learned through sources, he wasn't supposed to perform until next week, he had Rudy Coby helping him build his own props and working them out. but the judges bumped him to tonight because they wanted him to go against Antonio so it would be Murry Vs Grasso because they are so interchangeable. so dan had to borrow that saw prop from Koz, and only had a couple days to get the workings of it.. thats why he turned his back to the audience.. i'm sure if dan had more time and his own prop we would have seen a different performance.. "IF" in fact he did do the Arm saw, i'm sure it would have had other theatrics involved

Either way, the producers run this show. and i have a feeling they wanted Dan off, because they could get bigger ticket sales from the other acts.. like i said earlier they want to appeal to Middle America

i'm not trying to make excuses

That judge Piers is a tool, obviously he doesn't know jack about magic. That pissed me off so much with his bulls*** of "no, thats not how magic should be." Dan has way more talent than this and has the proof of all his accomplishments to back them up. I agree a different choice of an effect would have been a lot better.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Okay I will be realistic, magic is fake. Done, but that isn't a satisfactory answer so I will continue. Antonio and Dan both did wonderful performances of classic illusions brought to modern times. Now if we step back and look at both performance, we can see that both incredibly fake. However, Dan failed to get one person to suspend disbelief. The effect was asking too much from the audience. When he was first introduced to the audience he did a semi-realistic and plausible trick. Sure someone can go saw string into their throat, not many will though, so to an audience Dan's freakish nature made the effect plausible. However, tonight he asked the audience to believe he could cut someone's fore arm off then tattoo the chunk of meat and restore it back on. Does anyone else see the giant gap?

It went from a plausible trick into something unbelievable, a stage illusion. Personally, I would of thought Coin operated boy would of worked better here.

Antonio on the other hand can get away with the super flashy and even sometimes silly illusions because that is what he initially pitched to America and the judges. He set his standards with fire, magic and knockers, which he consistently delivers. A vanish isn't a far step away from the other illusions that he has done on the show thus far.

In conclusion I feel Dan's act was to big of a leap from performance to performance and was a little out of the set character he had from the first appearance on the show.

As I said elsewhere DAN SCREWED UP! There is no getting around it, he blew a very simple to do effect on national TV and EXPOSED the method and thus, every guy out there that thru $5k at owning one can't use it for a season or two, until current memory fades. What Dan did is what most do; he got stars in his eyes and didn't pay attention to the quality of his equipment let alone his presentation... the Android as misdirection (and understand, I do love that prop, just not here) was just ignorant! The thing that sells the Arm Amputator is its cleanliness and sense of impossibility. As it was done, the host screwed up by looking like he was in discomfort and not holding his arm properly (lack of rehearsal, being the likely culprit) and then we have a piss-poor gimmick that any blind person could have seen through.

Antonio, in my view, is a joke from the starting point. He's a weak personality and his material poorly executed. He seems to not to have listened to anyone that knows how to block and direct magic and more importantly, someone qualified to make him look a bit more graceful on stage... he moves around almost as if lost most of the time.

Like Dan, Antonio went on the cheap when it came to his props and likewise, in chosing which routines would work best under the conditions of that stage. His last bit took far too much time to pull off because it was not proper for the conditions he was dealing with.

I can applaud you guys for wanting to be loyal to guys you think are "good" or "cool" but at the same time, you need to get out of the club house antics of patting every bad performer on the back and telling them they did good. PROFESSIONALS can take the heat and should seek out critical perspectives so they learn how to improve on what they are doing (or not doing).

Jul 13, 2009
As I said elsewhere DAN SCREWED UP! There is no getting around it, he blew a very simple to do effect on national TV and EXPOSED the method and thus, every guy out there that thru $5k at owning one can't use it for a season or two, until current memory fades. What Dan did is what most do; he got stars in his eyes and didn't pay attention to the quality of his equipment let alone his presentation... the Android as misdirection (and understand, I do love that prop, just not here) was just ignorant! The thing that sells the Arm Amputator is its cleanliness and sense of impossibility. As it was done, the host screwed up by looking like he was in discomfort and not holding his arm properly (lack of rehearsal, being the likely culprit) and then we have a piss-poor gimmick that any blind person could have seen through.

Yeah I agree with you, also it was lack of rehersal. Dodd linked a thread on Genii forum, which pretty much summed up why the act looked so bad.

I can applaud you guys for wanting to be loyal to guys you think are "good" or "cool" but at the same time, you need to get out of the club house antics of patting every bad performer on the back and telling them they did good. PROFESSIONALS can take the heat and should seek out critical perspectives so they learn how to improve on what they are doing (or not doing).

Well I know I am guilty of doing that, however I am leaning toward bad move on the choices of effects this round. Poor form on both performers. However, this will make for great promo material for both of the performers. Though I do not see Antonio's act being booked anywhere, specially in California.

Oct 14, 2008
That judge Piers is a tool, obviously he doesn't know jack about magic. That pissed me off so much with his bulls*** of "no, thats not how magic should be." Dan has way more talent than this and has the proof of all his accomplishments to back them up. I agree a different choice of an effect would have been a lot better.

Really? So are you saying that magic should look incredibly fake? We should let our audiences see if we are wearing a TT? I don't think so, sorry to disagree, but Piers called it like he saw it *and the way most people saw it*....Dan's act wasn't very good and it was not the least bit believable. Magic is about making the audience believe that you can do "supernatural" things. Dan's act was very poorly exacuted. Its too bad, he is a very talented magician...if only he had done something different....

Sep 20, 2009
I Love Dan, talked to him a couple times at The Castle, Great guy and bloody well talented

anyway..

Rudy Coby was saying how dan wasn't scheduled to perform until next week, but three days before show time they said he was bumped up to Tuesday, so he basically had three days to put this act together. that wasn't his prop and he had never used it before. Rudy Coby was helping him build something of his own but since they bumped him up couldn't get it ready in time. so when they told him dan said he would just do his dove act and the producers of the show said " no, you either do the saw illusion or don't plan on walking on that stage again" so he had too..

on top of that nick cannon didn't do some things he was supposed to.. i also heard that AGT said they would provide the fake arm... so dan had no control over any of that..

it's too bad that these "Reality Talent Shows" have nothing to do with being real. the producers know who that want on to make money America doesn't decide on anything

so you can't really blame Dan for this

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I Love Dan, talked to him a couple times at The Castle, Great guy and bloody well talented

anyway..

Rudy Coby was saying how dan wasn't scheduled to perform until next week, but three days before show time they said he was bumped up to Tuesday, so he basically had three days to put this act together. that wasn't his prop and he had never used it before. Rudy Coby was helping him build something of his own but since they bumped him up couldn't get it ready in time. so when they told him dan said he would just do his dove act and the producers of the show said " no, you either do the saw illusion or don't plan on walking on that stage again" so he had too..

on top of that nick cannon didn't do some things he was supposed to.. i also heard that AGT said they would provide the fake arm... so dan had no control over any of that..

it's too bad that these "Reality Talent Shows" have nothing to do with being real. the producers know who that want on to make money America doesn't decide on anything

so you can't really blame Dan for this

To a point you are correct and this year's line-up (set-up) for AGT proves how the cards are more or less going to fall; especially if you look at some of the acts that were getting outrageous public raves that ended up cut... like Arcatech. BUT there is that backroom deal route things can go... the act in question signs a deal with another company via an agreement that makes AGT happy. Just look at how several previous season "loosers" ended up with very awesome deals but then came back to show off and "thank" AGT... but then look at the plethora of established acts AGT takes credit for launching into the public limelight when in truth, they'd been there for many long years...

Regardless, Dan is the one that actually had final say when it comes to what he did on stage and his choice was not wise. If I were to comit in being on such a program I would have rehearsed and polished routines that were ready to go at the drop of a hat, not rushing around to pull something together over night... professionals don't do that kind of crap, that's what we see all the kids doing on forums who believe they need to rewrite their "act" for every event vs. being "an act"... someone that does an established set that agents know to be "the package"

If Dan wasn't getting cooperation from the AGT team, HE should have pulled the plug and said "NO" rather than going on the air and making a fool of himself, it's that simple.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results