Magicians Phrasebook

Nibal,

Nice points. You are correct that generally, an audience will not have heard old lines before, but that doesn't make them non-hack. People still frequent Old Country Buffet, but that doesn't mean the food's all that good, ya know?

It's ok to do what you know, yes, and if old lines are it, well that's better than being a mute, I suppose. The issue starts up when comfort sets in and the performer stops striving for more and simply stays put.

Pj

Mar 29, 2008
Chase - I don't recall disagreeing that people say, "how did you do that" because it is the first thing they can think of? I think that is partially true...and I think said in this thread, or another, people say it, NOT because they want to know - but they are so WOW'd, and are stumped. So - cool beans.

As for Nibal - why use your own wording on comedy.

I was at a MAJOR buskersfest - I just moved into the town, but was interested in building an act to do it the following year. I went down to see a friend working, and watch (over two days) 20 of the 30-some acts they had there. What was the biggest complaint of people watching? EVERYONE made the same jokes...actually, acts side by side on the street would make the same gags, some that even magicians use...and then I realized, "it HURT them" and "I don't want to be seen as the guy that uses stock lines all the time". Sure, here and there - SELDOMLY, we all use a stock line - as it's hard for everyone to be original...but use with caution - for this reason and more. Most use jokes, but don't think about the impact to the audience, as different delivery can have different impacts.

Bill Malone says in "Sam the Bellhop" would you cut the cards SUCKER...er, I mean sir. NOT everyone can..or should get away with that to get a laugh.

I just want to say again - why make your magic the same - the presentation, since I am CERTAIN not many of you do 100% your very own stuff, allows you to make the effects yours. If you are copying the technique, and the presentation...who are people really seeing?

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
Spectator: How did you do that?
Me: i stoped time and changed the card..

Spectator: I know how you did that!
Me: yeah me too..

Spectator: Do that again!
Magician: no..
Spectator: Why?
Me:Why what... (pause ) WHERE?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results