Make the best of your DVDs

Sep 10, 2008
Have you ever felt, that you own so much stuff, but are not sure where to start learning it? We'll take DVDs for example. I looked at Jay Sankey's Greatest Hits DVD set. I've had it for awhile, but never really looked at it vigorously. I knew there were a lot of good, easy effects on it though. So today I figured, let's soak in all of this material. I put the performance DVD in the player, and played it all the way through. I pulled out my Handy-Dandy notebook, and wrote the name of each trick, and a brief description of what occurs in the trick, and whether I think I'll ever use it. I came out with about seven tricks that I could totally see myself using easily, and another three that I would do further work on, and maybe I will use them. I did the same with all of my other DVDs, and came up with a ton of tricks that got by me the first time I watched. With all these effects written down, I could look at them any time I want without popping in the DVD, and remember the performance (Of course, if you are using a single trick DVD like Thread or TNR or something else, this is unnecessary.). Then, when I'm ready, I'll sit down and learn the mechanics of each one. So, the moral of this story is, check out all the DVDs you have, and write down every effect, with a description, and whether you think you will use it. It will bring a ton of good. With over 35 usable effects on hand for me, who says DVDs are no good?

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I think the problem with alot of people ( Not all Mind you) they watch the DVD once or twice or in general just a few times and just forget about it they may use the effect but they never really go back and look at all the finesses and detail by watching something multiple times. Though i still believe Gems are mostly found in books or the old video tapes but there are definitely some great new effects.

Tom

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You know what my problem is, I look at just about all my DVDs, and I've got some interesting stuff, I have the DGP that I haven't watched for a while, I have the Sankey Anytime, Anywhere DVD, and everytime I watch them it makes me think, I should probably try this out, you know? I've just never really looked at all this stuff vigorously. And I figure, I really should take the time out to just go over them, effect by effect, and see if I can make anything out of that all backs routine, or the key to keyring, etc.

But then I remember that I'm a mentalist. -_-"

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This is the exact same thing I told myself I needed to start doing this weekend. Start popping on all my DVD's that I've only looked at once, with a note book and write down the effects on the DVD and whether or not I could ever use the effect.

I'm sure I have quite a few hours ahead of me to get through this with all of my DVDs but it will be worth it to add a few more effects to my arsenal.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
And then you remember you have my favorite "Past Midnight" DVD :D

G

Past Midnight isn't exactly that great of a DVD set. It's OK and a lot of the effects are just rehash's of other peoples work and not in a good way. Also the teaching can be kind of lame at times.

I have a ton of DVD's and yet have only really performed the stuff I have from Bill malone, but have pretty much made a list of things I am going over month by month. But all in All, I'll say that the majority of the stuff I WILL likely use 100% of the time will end up being the Osterlind stuff.

Jun 29, 2009
This is a product of something called consumerism. Twenty years ago a kid would get a magic BOOK and devote himself to it. That kid would MASTER the effects within it before finally moving to the next book.

Today, in our consumer driven society the kids feel satisfied with just acquiring new IDEAS of the magic, new effects. You can see that on youtube there a a lot of kids that have a bunch of videos of them with their new tricks, every other week there is a new one. Do you think those kids are learning those tricks? no, they get the satisfaction from knowing they have the knowledge of a trick, not from being able to do it and have fun with your friends.

When I first got in to magic as a young kid I quickly learned that the secret, or the performance behind the tricks werent so romantic, not to mention as easy as they looked. It was disappointing and I eventually got out of magic because of it. Since becoming very interested in magic as an adult I have learned the true values behind it, and not just the IDEA, or thought of performing it.

My advise would be to work on the stuff you get when you get it. Once you are comfortable with that performance move on to the next one. Now, I understand that you do not want to do every effect that is featured in the book or video that you get; some things just dont fit your style. I understand that but some of you out there have to admit that you have a sizable collection of 'magic media' sitting on your shelf that has just sat there pretty much since you bought it.

An array of tricks merely performed can make a magician, a handfull of tricks performed flawlessly can make a legend.

learn it, live it, give it

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Past Midnight isn't exactly that great of a DVD set. It's OK and a lot of the effects are just rehash's of other peoples work and not in a good way. Also the teaching can be kind of lame at times.
:eek:

Hah, well, each to his own. His psychological dvd was what really got me hooked in, but if it didn't for you, then I feel sorry for you - a lot of awesome goodies ;)

G

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This is a product of something called consumerism. Twenty years ago a kid would get a magic BOOK and devote himself to it. That kid would MASTER the effects within it before finally moving to the next book.

Today, in our consumer driven society the kids feel satisfied with just acquiring new IDEAS of the magic, new effects. You can see that on youtube there a a lot of kids that have a bunch of videos of them with their new tricks, every other week there is a new one. Do you think those kids are learning those tricks? no, they get the satisfaction from knowing they have the knowledge of a trick, not from being able to do it and have fun with your friends.

When I first got in to magic as a young kid I quickly learned that the secret, or the performance behind the tricks werent so romantic, not to mention as easy as they looked. It was disappointing and I eventually got out of magic because of it. Since becoming very interested in magic as an adult I have learned the true values behind it, and not just the IDEA, or thought of performing it.

My advise would be to work on the stuff you get when you get it. Once you are comfortable with that performance move on to the next one. Now, I understand that you do not want to do every effect that is featured in the book or video that you get; some things just dont fit your style. I understand that but some of you out there have to admit that you have a sizable collection of 'magic media' sitting on your shelf that has just sat there pretty much since you bought it.

An array of tricks merely performed can make a magician, a handfull of tricks performed flawlessly can make a legend.

learn it, live it, give it

I think you are dead on with the consumerism. I think it is even worse when you have the money to afford a lot of books or DVDs you feel that it is ok to buy a lot. You don't appreciated and really "get into" the book or DVD to trully learn / master the material.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results