Marketing Myself

May 7, 2009
Hey Guys,
I started working gigs around a month ago and since then i have had 2 gigs. Besides giving out my business cards at the gigs, what is the best way to market myself. I am looking to perform more often and try to get my name around but im not sure how to do it.
Thanks

Jan 10, 2008
Besides business cards, there is all ways The Yellow Pages, cable access, and your own website.
In my opinion, nothing could compare with the combined power of business cards, constant performance, and word of mouth.

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
figure out who you are trying to perform to and then decided what medium would best promote you to that audience.

e.g. if you do kids magic for birthday parties then a website wouldn't promote you as good as an ad in the yellow pages.

but nothing is as good promotion as an amazing performance

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
and word of mouth.

Restaurants depend on word of mouth for business, it can also work well for magicians.

Frezzing Aces made a good point, your venue will depict what advertising you'll need. A website can't hurt anyone (unless it's very poorly done, unprofessional websites lead people to believe in unprofessional people). Try to find community bulletin boards and put your cards on them, a lot of coffee shops have these, as do community centers.

Edit::You could always pull a publicity stunt and get news coverage...but you'd have to think of a stunt first.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2009
yea im fairly young but enjoy performing for adults as oppose to kids...corperate parties are my favorite.

Hey Guys,
I started working gigs around a month ago and since then i have had 2 gigs. Besides giving out my business cards at the gigs, what is the best way to market myself. I am looking to perform more often and try to get my name around but im not sure how to do it.
Thanks

Think I might be able to help out here. I haven't frequented the forums too much lately but I'm always willing to jump into a god thread and help a brother out.

Right now I am 15 years old, have been performing magic for seven years, and of those seven I have performed professionally for two. I love to watch people be amazed and have a good time, as well as have a good time myself, but I also enjoy the buisness side of performing magic. (Promoting, Finances, Budgeting, Marketing, etc.)

From the very start I have been on my own in the field of promoting and marketing myself, which I feel has better helped me understand many things such as the economy. By working on your own you develop life skills that are imperitive to your future not only as a magician, but as a person as well. Now, as I stated I have handled all this by myself since day one and have done very well considering my age. Roughly, I get 4 to 5 gigs a month, usually business meetings and important events. I make 100$ an hour at these performances and love being able to do everything myself.

So I am going to give you some of my own advice for marketing that I have picked up while working on my own...

1: Business cards are fantastic. Local magic and/or joke shops sometimes will take some of your cards and leave them for customers to take. They can also be handed out at events so that hopefully you might get another gig.

2: Promotional packages. These are nice if you have the time and money to make them. Often you could include a breif informational DVD. A bsiness card, A flyer.

3: Volunteer work. I volunteer at a childrens hospital on occasion. I bring old decks f cards and go room to room performing, leaving each child with a deck. You don't make any money but it's a great thing to do and very rewarding indeed.

4: Web Sites. These are good but people won't really find them unless they know who you are and how to look for you. So these are for the more well known, sought after, magicians.

5: Twitter, Facebook, and Myspace can all be used for business and marketing purposes and are great for that, just as long as none of your friends start tryng to chat it up on your page.

WORD OF MOUTH!!!!! I cannot stress this more. The number one way to market and to get noticed is by word of mouth. One client hires you and they tell their friend. Now, you have another gig. This is another reason things like volunteer performances are good for. They show you as a good person and word gets out. Same thing if you were to give a newspaper or new station a free story about you. They always need interesting things to fill the gaps and would be delighted especially if they didn't have to pay you.

Just some thoughts,
Dylan P.

May 7, 2009
thanks a lot man. i am a lot like you only uve been around th block obviously more than me. i am definatly going to be working at a childrens hospital in the near future. ive always wanted to do that and i love doing charity work. i appreciate the long and detailed response.
Keith

Rebooking's most important part is you. If you are not up to it then people wont book you. I recommend reading Paul Brook's Alchemical Tools which covers this and a lot more. People book because of you and if your not up to it then they will not.

Mikk.

At the risk of shameless self promotion, I would encourage you to search out a thread serries titled "How To Get Gigs, and Keep Clients". Think there's 8 of them in all. Everything you would want to know about marketing, and a few things you didn't is in that thread. It's also going to be available in PDF format by the end of the year. (hopefully!)

There a book called "How To Do: Magic Tricks". It may be found at your local library. I read it, they have really good marketing ideas. Like having an employees at hair salon handing out your business cards to mothers and ladies, they call you up for a gig. Speak with your banqueting manger at resturants or hotels to work for tips per tables. Contact the Talent Agencies for more info., of course they're ask you for headshot photo, biography, and resum'e. Your agent will help you with your bookings and ideas that will benefit with your career. That's all I know and hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results