Meetup Experience

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys,

Meeting up with other magicians who share the same passion as you is quite awesome. Today, I got the opportunity to do that for the first time. I met up with Jack Webster, you know him, the guy who won the 144 decks of guardians....

Anyways, Jack and I met up in a market in my area, and we had a BLAST. Cards were flying left to right, and he was doing some sick sybils...

But anyways, he had his deck of cards and loops, and I had my deck with XL and Omnilope by Jay Sankey. For the guys who do not have Omnilope, GET IT. It completely kills the audience! So back on topic, we started performing some various card tricks, like 2 card Transpo, Biddle, Card Change in the Specs hands, ect.

While in the process, of course we got rejected. Probably the worst rejection we got was like this:

Me: "Can I show you a quick card trick?" (I was asking a kid who was about 13-14)

Him: "Yeah sure"

Me: "Okay, so....."

Father: (Grabs him by the shoulder and loudly shouts "NO!" in our faces.

It was pretty hilarious, you had to be there, but then we went to a seafood restaurant and performed for the waiters who worked there. We did this for about 10 minutes, and everything went FANTASTIC. Throughout the small amount of time we had together, we made some serious bank and earned 6 bucks! (That is a lot, I know...)

We exchanged ideas on various tricks, gave each other tips on different things, and overall, it was a great experience for the both of us. So if any of you guys have the opportunity to meet up with someone who is also into magic, DO IT! It will be a very fun time, and I thought I would share this moment with you guys.

Let's hear some other experiences when you and someone else met up and had a JAM.

Cheers,

Casey

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This is exactly why you need to join an IBM ring. That is what we do once a month at our business meetings as well as head to the local brick and mortar shop on certain weekends.

For example: Today I gave a card lesson to a guy on our ring.
Next Wed. night we are all headed to a magic auction in Cleveland.
Next Saturday headed to the magic shop in town to catch a lecture.
The following Saturday is me performing magic at a paid gig.
Thursday - Sunday is the Battle of Magicians Convention

What I'm saying is that once you join a ring...your opportunities for magic in your life will become endless. You will have so much to do you will have to start saying no at some point. Either that or your wife does it for you.....ha ha. But that is a different monster all together.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
This is exactly why you need to join an IBM ring. That is what we do once a month at our business meetings as well as head to the local brick and mortar shop on certain weekends.

For example: Today I gave a card lesson to a guy on our ring.
Next Wed. night we are all headed to a magic auction in Cleveland.
Next Saturday headed to the magic shop in town to catch a lecture.
The following Saturday is me performing magic at a paid gig.
Thursday - Sunday is the Battle of Magicians Convention

What I'm saying is that once you join a ring...your opportunities for magic in your life will become endless. You will have so much to do you will have to start saying no at some point. Either that or your wife does it for you.....ha ha. But that is a different monster all together.

Where I am there are no IBM rings, or any other magic meeting place. And I'm 14, so no wife....haha. But I really want to start doing more of these soon. There are so much fun.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
We have tons of young kids in our ring. The parents drive them sometimes up to a half hour away to get to our monthly meetings.

There has to be a ring fairly close to you I would think. Where are you located?

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i agree there's no magic in my area what so ever, except for Chicago. three hours away. and I'm only 15. when i get my license here in 5 months. I'm definitely going to try to meet up with some magicians hopefully.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
im in Charleston, South Carolina. ive done searches and no IBM rings near me. Theres a convention in Columbia, which is 2 hours away called SCAM, but i was never able to get the money and go.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
We have tons of young kids in our ring. The parents drive them sometimes up to a half hour away to get to our monthly meetings.

There has to be a ring fairly close to you I would think. Where are you located?

Magic is really not as ubiquitous as you think it is.

The closest IBM ring to me is an hour away, and consists of 1 person. The next closest is two and a half hours away. The next after that is three hours away.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow...I guess I am pretty fortunate then to be in a ring that has 30 guys or so that all live within a half hour of each other.

Stinks for gigs though because everyone is in the same territory.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Wow...I guess I am pretty fortunate then to be in a ring that has 30 guys or so that all live within a half hour of each other.

Stinks for gigs though because everyone is in the same territory.

pros and cons to everything man, you guys should try starting like an agency where they book through the agency.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
There's a lot of magicians in my area, we just don't have an IBM or SAM ring. We do have a local magic club, which I'm part of, and which luckily also includes Patrick Snowden.

Also, Hocus Pocus is based here, so there's a lot of lectures and such held there.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
there are some magicians in my general area but all are a decent ways away and ive found that most do not fall within my age group, with the exception being Nikki from these forums but even she is a bit younger. I also have no interest in joining either IBM or SAM. I enjoy spending time with other magicians at conventions and i would love to meet up with people but i find the idea of paying large sums of money to go to a meeting each week with people not of my own age doesn't suit me. I also have had a few bad experiences with older and younger magicians which put me off the concept. What i find is i enjoy spending time with other magicians but i prefer for my creative process to be uninfluenced in a isolated area and it makes booking gigs much easier.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Just curious, where are you thinking it costs loads of money to join the local club or ring? I'm not up to date on all ring fees but ours is only $25 for the entire year.
Maybe everyone's fees are different. I am not sure because I only joined mine 2 years ago.

Nov 8, 2009
I can honestly say that i am the only Magician within 50 miles of where i live, and i dont know anyone in my area, except one 40 yr old mentalist who goes to a mormon church near me, but we dont talk alot...

I live in Northeren NY

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I can honestly say that i am the only Magician within 50 miles of where i live, and i dont know anyone in my area, except one 40 yr old mentalist who goes to a mormon church near me, but we dont talk alot...

I live in Northeren NY

Are you SURE there aren't others that you are not aware of? Cause I used to think that about where I live Then I found out
about a lot more. And where are u exactly in NY? [i live in ny too, sorry if that sounds stalkerish]

Nov 8, 2009
Are you SURE there aren't others that you are not aware of? Cause I used to think that about where I live Then I found out
about a lot more. And where are u exactly in NY? [i live in ny too, sorry if that sounds stalkerish]

I live like St. Lawrence county, 10 minutes from canada.....

WAAAAY North.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results