Mental Effect Review: Paul Vigil's Diplopia

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Quick Outline: This effect comes in the form of a pdf file along with a link to a protected forum and an addendum for extra ideas. (Extra addendums may become available in the future and if you have already purchased Diplopia you will not need to pay for these from what I understand).

Effect: The effect is a simple 'think of a card' type mental effect; but with a diabolical finish.

The spectator is asked to think of absolutely any card from a regular deck of 52 and find it. This is then lost in the deck as per norm. The performer then also thinks of a card, finds it and loses it in the deck.

THEN the spectator shuffles the deck and is asked to read the performers mind. NO SETUP BEFOREHAND this is all IMPROMPTU. They take out whatever card they think it is. The performer does the same with the spectator.

When the spectator reveals what card they simply thought of, the card the performer pulled out is shown to be the card they thought of. Now, HERE'S the twist, when the performer reveals what card HE/SHE was thinking of, the spectator reveals that it is the same card they pulled out for the performer!!

No stooges, mirrors or anything like that. It is COMPLETELY IMPROMPTU. This effect is also basically sleightless. :D

PDF Quality: This PDF is alright, no fat everything you need to know is right here in the PDF no need to go researching on different sleights or what have you, it's all described here. (Not that there are many sleights anyway...)

Method: This method is pure brilliance. Outright ballsy sheer brilliance. This WILL fool laymen and magicians alike. I remember grinning my head off when I first read through the method and tried it on myself (Yes this is something you can practice with yourself first to make sure you can do it).

The method will however take some practicing otherwise you just look like a lemon in a bowl of drying paint... All boring but you stand out more.(although I imagine that scenario would be reasonably entertaining to a select few)

You can do this surrounded (although for one bit this probably isn't advised but easily workable), impromptu, naked, new deck, old deck, borrowed deck, hand-made elven dust coated plastic deck, WHATEVER. For me this effect is the perfect mental card effect.

Content: Within the PDF you also get a complete description of the Infinity Principle, previously only known to a select few who managed to get their hands on the manuscript.

You obviously also get the complete method for Diplopia as a whole. As I explained previously there is an addendum which contains added thoughts which were made after the initial release of Diplopia. The pdf explains that if anything else needs to be added then addendums will be emailed out to people and also posted (I think) in the protected forums for the effect where people discuss ideas, practicing methods and patter.

Overall: At $14.95 for such a strong mental card effect I really don't think you can go wrong! You also get a new sleight to add to your arsenal of many :p The main principle behind Diplopia can also be applied to other mental feats and effects; it's much underused in the magic community and you really can't detect it unless you are looking SPECIFICALLY for it - In saying that however I sincerely doubt ANYONE will be looking for it.

If there are any questions or areas you feel I've missed out please don't hesitate to let me know :D I hope you enjoyed the review.

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Italy
I only failed once with this trick because the borrowed deck wasn't complete (3 of spades missing) and in this case the trick don't work...

Nov 8, 2007
I only failed once with this trick because the borrowed deck wasn't complete (3 of spades missing) and in this case the trick don't work...
Did the trick not work because you needed the 3 of Spaes for that specific performance, or do you mean that you have to have a full 52 card deck to make the trick word period?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Did the trick not work because you needed the 3 of Spaes for that specific performance, or do you mean that you have to have a full 52 card deck to make the trick word period?

You need a full deck to do it in the easiest possible manner... ALTHOUGH, in saying that, the effect would also allow for you to do it if you were missing a card or two. :)

- Sean

Nov 8, 2007
You need a full deck to do it in the easiest possible manner... ALTHOUGH, in saying that, the effect would also allow for you to do it if you were missing a card or two. :)

- Sean

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I've had a full deck of cards in my pocket in years. The first thing I do when I open a deck is throw out a few cards and add a dupe.

Sep 5, 2007
Paul Vigil is the man. His coin bend is pretty wild also. Clocking is going to take some getting use to (the special "move"), but I watched Jon Thompson do this... and he smoked me with it. I'm a fan.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results