Mental Note by Eddy Ray

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
MENTAL NOTE BY EDDY RAY

Effect: Eddy Ray has released, in association with Steve Fearson, and ebook detailing a new exciting concept for impromptu mentalism.

Review: I was eager to see this effect ever since hearing hype about it before the release. Now, with ebook on page, I can see it was surely worth the wait. Having taken a big interest in mentalism, this new concept by Eddy Ray fits the bill. As long as you have a pencil and a pad of Post-Its handy, you can do this.

The ebook is extremely well made, with 27 detailed pages and crystal clear photos as well. After an introduction by Steve Fearson, and a History page, we get into the detailed description of the method. The method itself is brilliant, and is obviously something with quite a bit of thought in it. Basically, the effect is that after the spectator fairly and secretly draws a shape on a Post-It note, the magician can instantly read the spectator's mind and divine the drawing! No gilmpsing, no center tear work, no impressions! The method is taught well, even getting into the specifics of what type of pencil to use and tips for maxiumum efficiency.

After learning and trying the method, we get to view some excellent ideas and handlings for this concept. The first is Blindfold Work, and this is a briefly explained idea on how to use Mental Note while blindfolded. Certainly nothing new with this, but I admire that they included it. After describing a presentation and handling for this effect, we go on to more bonus handlings. One involves incorporating time between the time the spectator draws the shape and when the spectator tears the note off and discards it, allowing the magician to execute the work more efficiently and nonchalantly. This is definitely something to look at, as it may be useful in many situations. The most natural ways to do the dirty work are then outlined, and incorporated into such natural actions as writing something down. Once again, this isn't really something a seasoned mentalist wouldn't already have knowledge of, but yet again I admire Eddy's thorough job.

The next handling is one of my favourites and will definitely be one of your's too. Instead of simply revealing the drawn symbol, a duplication of that symbol suddenly appears etched onto their own palm! This is an excellent handling for those moments that you really want to make a huge impression on somebody. Try this one out before Criss Angle does it on his next episode of Mindtweak.

After these handlings, a few small extra ideas and subtleties are described. There are some great additions to Mental Note here, including an idea using a sealed prediction from the mind of the late Ted Annemann. If you want to add a little somethng extra to Mental Note these are definitely worth a look. Following these further ideas, also including one with a Voodoo Doll, we hear Eddy's closing thoughts as the ebook finishes.

Overall, I give this new effect and ebook by Eddy Ray an 8/10. This is definitely a great thing for all mentalists to check out. It's easy to do, smooth, and looks darn impossible. Everything is handled so fairly that no layperson will be suspicious, however a little goes a long way. Whether you want this for a quick impromptu mentalism bit, a drawn-out parlour routine, or an impossible effect for the streets, Eddy Ray's new Mental Note is definitely worth it. Check it out today, you will not be disappointed!

Mental Note can be purchased at the following link: http://emagicsupply.com/112.html

Michael Kras

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results