Movements for revealing?

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
Everything within coin magic (and magic overall) is highly personal, wether it's the choice of vanish or presentation, it's up to you. Another thing that's highly personal is your handmovements. How do you open your hand to reveal that a coin has vanished? Slowly? Quickly? One finger at a time? And also, if you have any reasons behind it other than it being your natural reflex, why that way?
Also, how much of an impact do you believe the method of revealing has on your audience, and is there a "wrong" way to do it?

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Everything within coin magic (and magic overall) is highly personal, wether it's the choice of vanish or presentation, it's up to you. Another thing that's highly personal is your handmovements. How do you open your hand to reveal that a coin has vanished? Slowly? Quickly? One finger at a time? And also, if you have any reasons behind it other than it being your natural reflex, why that way?
Also, how much of an impact do you believe the method of revealing has on your audience, and is there a "wrong" way to do it?

I try not to do any unnecessary hand movements that would lead the audience to be suspicious. I find that by performing for someone you know (and that peforms magic themselves) you can get an honest answer about how you perform and anything you can improve upon.

I usually like to open my hands slowly for a bit of dramatic effect, but you can open you hand too slow at times which makes for a bit over the top performance in my opinion. I sometimes like to do a french drop and then have them hold out their hand so that I can "drop" it into their hand. But of course, they find out that when I turn over my hand to drop the coin, there isn't one. I usually do this with kids or other people depending on the situation.

As for revealing, in general I am against it. But I am prepared to reveal the french drop when I perform for kids in the hospital. I think they will be super excited.

Hope that all made sense.

Chris

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
Hey Chris thanks for sharing your thoughts! I thought it was a quite awesome idea to have the spectator hold their hand out when you reveal that your coin has vanished.
I wanted to make clear that when i said : "Also, how much of an impact do you believe the method of revealing has on your audience, and is there a "wrong" way to do it?"
I ment the impact it has on the audience when your hand reveals that a coin has vanished, by your method of opening your hand. I am very much against revealing methods as well since our strongest asset as a magician is mystery.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Hey Chris thanks for sharing your thoughts! I thought it was a quite awesome idea to have the spectator hold their hand out when you reveal that your coin has vanished.
I wanted to make clear that when i said : "Also, how much of an impact do you believe the method of revealing has on your audience, and is there a "wrong" way to do it?"
I ment the impact it has on the audience when your hand reveals that a coin has vanished, by your method of opening your hand. I am very much against revealing methods as well since our strongest asset as a magician is mystery.

As I just got back to my computer and read your first writing, I realized that I took it wrong as you mentioned. I'm an idiot, what can I say! Sorry about that.

As for the spectator holding out their hand, I tried this when I was interviewing for possibly voluteering at Children's Hospital here in Cincinnati and the woman loved it. It was a good bit of misdirection to have her hold her hand out while I palmed the coin, know what I mean? I think it works well in the instance but obviously not in other instances.

What do you typically do when revealing a hand is empty?

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
As I just got back to my computer and read your first writing, I realized that I took it wrong as you mentioned. I'm an idiot, what can I say! Sorry about that.

As for the spectator holding out their hand, I tried this when I was interviewing for possibly voluteering at Children's Hospital here in Cincinnati and the woman loved it. It was a good bit of misdirection to have her hold her hand out while I palmed the coin, know what I mean? I think it works well in the instance but obviously not in other instances.

What do you typically do when revealing a hand is empty?

Don't worry about it mate! I bet you're a huge hit for everyone at the hospital, especially the kids heheh.
After i perform a vanish i usually reveal the empty hand by progressively letting one finger at a time open up in a medium speed, starting from the pinky. But I'm not sure if this makes the vanish to its full potential. Do you always reveal the empty hand by the same movements or do you have variations on it, if so, in which situations do you divide them? This is a rather smal detail but I do believe it can have a major impact.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I certainly think it has a difference but I am not experienced enough to have a grasp on when to reveal a certain way. I like the idea of switching it up as this might be more entertaining for the spectators. I would relate this idea to doing DLs. I use a couple difference ones during an ACR for example and think it works well.

Back to revealing with coins, I do reveal the coin missing by your method when you open your fingers one at a time starting with the pinky. Sometimes, I shake my hands and then open up my fingers one at atime, so as to have the spectator think that little move made the coin vanish.

I guess its all down to personal preference. And, as I mentioned before, if you show a good friend, he/she can tell you what they liked best. I certainly think that would help.

May 30, 2008
blue mountains
i think this is an important part of presentation that can't be done wrong but if overlooked it could seem odd and change the feel. but hey that might be what you are going for.
As for opening my hand, slowly and one finger at a time is what i do.
i never thought about vanishing a coin over someones hand, nice one.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I would say messing around with different ways and watching your spectators reactions over time will help you pick out the best way.

I do a few different ones:

Slowly opening my hand while 'blowing' to show it's vanished.

(With about a half a packet of sugar in my hand) act like I'm crushing the coin and open it to show the remains. ^^

I also do the one figer at a time at a medium to slow speed.

Sometimes I like to act like I'm tossing the coin to someone, they'll jump and react to catch it and it's vanished.

These are some of my favorites, I have a few others I don't use as often.

Again, try something different every performance for a few weeks and write down the reactions you get. You can pick up a small composition notebook pretty cheap and keep it in your pocket.

Something like this : Mini-Comp Book

^Pack of 4 for 3.49

These can also be used for other magic you do, try certain tricks to certain audiences and change what you say a little bit or write down lines that work to incorperate into your performances.

Anyway, Hope this helped some,

-Rik

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results