My first stand-up show

Nov 27, 2009
Here's a video of my first stand-up show. I performed for a gathering of about 40 middle and high schoolers, most of whom have seen me do at least one magic trick before. I chose material that I knew I could do without messing up, and that I had not done for them before. What do you guys think? (Please read the things I've posted below the video before answering.)

[video=youtube;dw94z7wBEnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw94z7wBEnQ[/video]​

Some things to consider:
  • This is my first performance of the three way prediction, ever!
  • I've practiced the cups and balls, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've performed it.
  • I'm used to close-up and busking. (Technically I've never actually busked, but I've done that style show in that kind of environment.)
  • This is cut from a larger plan for a show where having the wide variety of tricks actually makes much more sense.

Personal observations:
  • Judging from the crowd reaction, my opening trick was the strongest, and I didn't maintain that level of astonishment throughout the show. This is usually a problem.
  • I could have found out my audience member's names when I brought them up on stage, something I failed to do.
  • I also could have had a girl or two help me, also something I failed to do. I think I remember the guys being more eager to help though. I also had reasons for picking the guys I did, except for the boy I brought on stage for the final bit in the prediction
  • From where the crowd was (very near the camera), the Cups and Balls was not a very visible trick, which would contribute to the low reaction.
  • A non-magician friend of mine who saw the video said that the predictions seemed a bit awkward. I can see that. I inquired further into this and determined that I probably need to invest in a classic mentalism gimmick, or completely change my presentation. Of course, it's probably way too early to make decisions like that.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm going to be brutally honest as I always am. I took the time to watch this and break it down just a tad. It is constructive criticism and just my opinion so take it for what its worth.

I'm 1:56 into the video and have already lost interest because you are doing a card trick with standard size cards up on a stage. You can't see a darn thing. From the audience's perspective, they have no idea "what" cards are being held up. You didn't ask them their name as they came up (which you are already aware of...good) and the way you selected your volunteer was not fun or creative by any means. Toss a ball out, frisbee, anything...

The stage area looks very clutter with many things distracting ones attention. The guitars and all of the other junk should be hidden or put away.

It's 4:25 in the video and you are performing ANOTHER card effect. Are you serious? Judging by the reaction...it doesn't surprise me.
You did do a good job of demoing how you wanted him to "cut deeper" to the force card.

Always walk a volunteer up and down the steps or have one of your helpers try to see that this happens. Some times there are cords, props and things in the way or someone can just accidentally fall on the steps.

At 6:20 you talk about "foreshadowing" to the end. It is actually called a "Call Back" and it is not necessary to come right out and tell them this. A smart, interested, audience will put the pieces together themselves and thus be astonished at the climax or end of the show.

At 9:07 you say to the audience, "I hate to bring the cards back out...." They are thinking the same thing. Why draw attention to that?

9:30 The spectator is displaying a standard sized card from stage. Nobody except the front row will get a decent look at that. If you are going to stick with card stuff from stage you definitely want to consider a parlor size deck like the Phoenix deck or Jumbos.

Your predictions should be on larger pieces of paper, poster board, etc.

Cups and balls is very trick to pull off on stage unless you are Johnny Ace Palmer or have a camera crew doing live video feed up to big screens showing overhead. Mainly because the angle looking up from the seats doesn't allow you to see what is on the top of the table, gig case, etc. People far away have a much better angle, however, the balls look so tiny. Yellow or white balls might have helped a tad in this instance.

At the 13:00 mark you had to be sweating and thinking, this sucks, I'm not getting any reactions. How do I know....because I've been in your same shoes before doing the same thing. I hate the feeling. Your loads are taking place a little too far back which looks obvious.

Each time you get up and perform, you should grow professionally and learn from your mistakes. It gets easier and easier the more you do it. Thanks for sharing this with us and I wish you the best.

Nov 27, 2009
Thanks Rick! Most of the people seemed to enjoy the show. Like I said, this is the first time I've done a gig like this, so this is incredibly helpful advice. I know I need to work on this, which is why I posted this video.

One note about the use of standard size cards on stage. My audience had gathered directly in front of the stage and no one was more that about 20 feet away, so in this case, visibility wasn't a problem. I will keep your advice in mind for future gigs though.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
YRA,
That is good if your audience is only 20 feet away and most of them had gathered towards the front. If you had 200 people in an auditorium you would have been in some trouble.

By no means did I want to sound like people didn't "enjoy" the show. I know I have a harsh way with words because too many times I see guys in my club, run over and tell someone else that they did an outstanding job on an effect, and frankly they did a terrible job but nobody wants to be the one to say so.

I just wanted to give you feedback as to what things could be changed to make it even better. I'm glad you have an open mind to criticism. Keep getting better. Don't continually change material. Once you start finding your nitch, stick with the material for at least a few shows to work out the kinks and get everything down smoothly. If you change the routine and effects every stage show, it makes the process of developing a good stage act horribly long and painful.

Good luck man. I wish more people would have actually broken down your footage for you as well. It took some guts to post that and I applaud you.

Apr 14, 2011
Rick basically said everything that needed to be said. Cards really don't play well on stage D:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results