My Own Effect

so about 6 months ago,I really wanted to do a trick that really required no effort, an average deck of cards, and a free choice on all things. So as I started to think I slowly developed a card trick that I thought was Okay but not great. I showed my dad. He can figure out any magic trick because he watches me so often but this one fooled the crap out of him and he screamed then died laughing. So here is the effect.
Someone can hand you a crappy old shuffled deck of cards and without any setup you go right into the effect. They select a card freely. REALLY. NO FORCES. then return it to the deck and you shuffle. They can shuffle if they like too.

The deck is then spread. It is shown that their card is not on top or on the bottom but lost in the deck. You then turn the cards face down so neither you nor the spectators can see the faces and ask them to name any number 1 through 52. NO FORCES. REALLY CAN BE ANY NUMBER.

From the bottom up you count out that many cards. At any time they can change their number. Finally when you hit their card. I mean the number they said and flip it over. it is their card.

No Duplicates
No Forcing
Spectator Can Shuffle
Minimal Sleights
Little Controlling
Spectator can change their number at any time

so what do you guys think. I was considering submitting it here and over at E but i wanted some input first. Unfortunately I don't have a camera so I can't film it but belive me it is very smooth and everything I said above is true.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
1. great that you made your own effect!
2: No dude, don;t release it. if you create an effect and then try to release it days later, it's impossible to have all of the nuances down, as well as according to this you've performed it once. sorry dude, but it's not ready.

May 3, 2008
Chances are something like that already exists as I have an Acaan routine that sounds similar. Hold onto it for a while and see how much it can grow and evolve.

1. great that you made your own effect!
2: No dude, don;t release it. if you create an effect and then try to release it days later, it's impossible to have all of the nuances down, as well as according to this you've performed it once. sorry dude, but it's not ready.

Whoops. I tend to write "just the other day" a lot. I actually invented this trick about 6 months ago and have performed it in a close up environment over 30 times. I simply used my dad as an example because he is the hardest person to fool.

I will rephrase the statement.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I agree with Dizzi. It's nowhere near ready. It sounds like a nice trick; I have something a little similar myself. To be completely honest, I don't think it's up to the standard of E or T11 tricks - it'd have to be pretty special for a card trick to make it to T11. Please don't take this as a knock, I think it's absolutely fantastic, and it sounds great, but it's a rare card trick in my opinion that really deserves selling as an individual effect.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
It sounds great and extremely clean
But it sounds like one of those effect which everyone has seen and is just a tad different from the old versions. everyone has done Card at Any Number routines. If you want people to buy this, you need to show us what makes this better. What makes it unique. And I am not sure about the effect as I can only be sure if it as good as it sounds with a visual explanation of the effect. Most effects sound "OMG NO WAY! CLEANER THEN HELL!" then you see the video and youre like "no way.......................... lame.." haha
not saying that youre gonna be pure lameness but still.
cant be sure of it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
For a plot like CAAN to be marketed, essentially I think there needs to be additional and significant developments beyond the mechanics and handling of the effect - for example completely new thinking, or a development of the plot, etc.

Apr 28, 2008
For a plot like CAAN to be marketed, essentially I think there needs to be additional and significant developments beyond the mechanics and handling of the effect - for example completely new thinking, or a development of the plot, etc.

I agree with this, there's so many variations of this plot already you really need a major addition to it if your going to pubish it.

Also, it's nice that you've come up with a new method but I could accomplish a very similar effect with just a gamblers cop. This meets all the criteria of no duplicates, no forces, spectator can shuffle etc, the spectator can even deal out the cards themselves. What's significantly better about your method that would make me want to use it over existing methods?

I'd be very interested in seeing a video of it so we can see if it is an improvement over existing effects.

It's sounds like the sort of thing that would be more appropriate in a set of notes, there's not a chance it could sell as a single effect DVD.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Daniel Garcia invented a trick just like this. Almost word for word as you described it. And it was performed by Justin Miller so I know that the trick exists. I hate to bring the bad news but someone had to do it. Also use this as a gateway trick let it lead to other inventions.

-Michael

I have tricks I created over 5 years ago and they're still not ready. Most of my tricks that I perform with are my own, but why give away the secret? I don't want to sound rude, but when I'm done with it, then others can have it. Some friends know my tricks, and they do them too. But only with my permission. If its really good, keep it for a few years. Be self-fish. Make a demand for it. Then maybe, just maybe, you should release it.

Well, I really didn't think it would turn into a single effect DVD. I figured I would send it to E just in case, you know? It can't hurt. And I thought that perhaps they might like it as a little one on one here. Afterall it is very simple and can be taught in a short period of time. But don't worry I haven't sent it in yet.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results