Names For A Mentalism Show

Jul 16, 2011
Hey guys,
I'm about to take my next big leap in the art of magic and mentalism. I've tirelessly been planning every single aspect of a mentalism show I've created. Belive me, I've thought of everything. But for some reason, I cant find a good suitable name. Could you guys provide some insight? It would be much appreciated.

Specifics
-Theme of show is to keep an open mind
-Theme of the show is to wonder. (No "wonder" cannot be the name)
-Show is mostly mentalism
-Its like a street mentalist act for 30 people. No unusual objects or props. All of it could be done on the street.
-I dress very urban, hoodie and jeans
-Its at night, in a small theater

Hope this helps. Thankyou

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
The name of the show is just personal preference and totally up to you. I don't know how you present your show whether it be funny or serious, but here are a few names off the top of my head just to give you something to work with.
"Insight", "Mental!", "Mindless", "Psychics Suck", "Brain Teaser", "Head Games", "Mind over Matter".

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Perception: Reality is (an illusion / is what you believe / nothing )

This gives you some flexibility to perform some magic aswell as the mentalism. Without seen your scripts and set list including all the meta narrative for each effect I cannot give you any more help.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I feel like its too close to Marc Salem's Mind Games. Obviously nobody would have seen Salem's show but it is too close for my liking. However each to his own.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hey guys,
I'm about to take my next big leap in the art of magic and mentalism. I've tirelessly been planning every single aspect of a mentalism show I've created. Belive me, I've thought of everything. But for some reason, I cant find a good suitable name. Could you guys provide some insight? It would be much appreciated.

Specifics
-Theme of show is to keep an open mind
-Theme of the show is to wonder. (No "wonder" cannot be the name)
-Show is mostly mentalism
-Its like a street mentalist act for 30 people. No unusual objects or props. All of it could be done on the street.
-I dress very urban, hoodie and jeans
-Its at night, in a small theater

Hope this helps. Thankyou

Ok, I highlighted the one line because you are wanting to do a "Mentalism Show" (act) so one would assume that you want to be a "Mentalist", No?

If that is the case GET RID OF THE TRICKS

Be a Mentalists not a magician doing a few mysterious bits that look/feel real in one place but stoops to sponge bunnies right after. Mentalism's biggest illusion is that of reality -- to be more than just magic tricks and if at all possible, not look anything even remotely close to being part of magic. That doesn't mean you have to do things esoteric or New Age-ish, only that you must create a situation in which your product leaves them wondering. That said there are a handful of banners you might want to weigh. . .

Illusions of the Mind allows you to challenge your audience to THINK and consider both, the fantasy of being "Psychic (ish)" alongside the ability to understand how easy it is to be duped by others. You would set-up a dynamic that allows them to see both sides of "the issue" without pointing them in either direction but, as the old timers said, allow them to come to their own conclusions (personally, I leave them hanging on a closing piece that really comes off as being 100% impossible and thus real. I don't want it to be too easy for them to think "trick" and I love leaving the skeptics with a little something that dusts their little brains).

What If? I love this title for a younger performer because it allows them to have that Dough Henning like bounciness in what they do; an excitement over the fantasy of having exceptional mental dexterity be it memory or some paranormal set of skills like TK, Clairvoyance, etc. Commercially I believe this is sound because it could play big if one were to hit up the area school & library markets; in simple terms the presentational angle of "what if" would allow the performer to make things like Math, Memory Improvement, Recitation, etc. FUN as well as EMPOWERING -- your act would actually encourage kids (and adults) to improve how their mind functions, revealing to them just how "Psychic" such things make the seem.
. . . if I were still performing I'd seriously consider this approach.​

I will ward you away from one particular title An Evening of Enchantment leads the pack in that mage and mentalist alike use it to death (myself included); it sounds elegant but because it is so commercial and generic, it's become anything but.

I'm certain there are other titles that are overly used I'm just not aware of them off hand. There is one very specific title I will kindly ask you to not use and that's Mental Mischief, it's been mine for over 20 years.

If I knew a bit more about you, your style, scripting, etc. I could probably do you a better, more specific service when it comes to your question. The only thing I can really mention however, is that the title must be simple, easy to remember (as well as understand & pronounce) and MUST help set your audience up when it comes to curiosity & expectation. It's an art & science when it comes to labeling a product with trial & error at the forefront.

Best of luck

Jul 16, 2011
Thanks Craig for the extensive advise! I will certainly take your suggestions into consideration. to answer your questions...

-My style is serious, but not too serious. A witty line here and there... I remain freindly and likeable throughout the performance. I emphasise to the audience that what I'm appearing to do is not impossible, but at the same time I dont claim to have "powers". I kinda leave it open to the audience.
-Scripting is based off of what people percieve and keeping an open mind. My scripting isnt quite definate yet, kinda still in the works.
-The show is entirely mentalism, im not sure why i said "mostly"
- And yes the show is centered around me being a Mentalist, not a magician.

I was considering "Deception" but I think that title is vastly overused in the realm of both magic and mentalism. I liked the name because it still leaves open the possibility that what I did was an illusion ( a result of decieving the audience), but at the same time, the audience will remember the impossibility and astonishing nature of what I did.

Hope this answers your questions, and thanks again for the advice.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
If you were to do a program about fakes and hustlers DECEPTION would make for an excellent title. . . that could include things like how advertiser get into our heads, the power of words & suggestion, etc. which is an angle that would prove awesome for any Mentalism student that does not want to walk that esoteric tight-rope. . . it's an excellent public service too!

You sound as if you are leaning towards the more traditional idea of neutrality, allowing guests to come to their own conclusions while making what you do come off as real and genuine as possible. It's the safest path to follow in that it allows you to satisfy the traditional magic side of things as well as the demands you will get form pure believers -- be prepared!

Levity is paramount and far easier to work with than being "serious" -- serious & heavy is a very difficult role to take on and frequently comes off as a parody, so if that's not your goal, maintain your distance. . . sounds like that's your plan.

So, what is the ability you claim? What allows you to do the things you do?

In the real world you will find that few psychics ever claim more than one primary ability and maybe a second but all other skills are things they are still developing. This is a very potent position to stand in because the public knows what to expect from you as a performer. Too, being a jack of all trades destroys your credibility; not all psychics see the future and when they do, not all use the same methods or skill sets. Not all psychics can demonstrated PK or Clairvoyance, etc. and not all psychics find it even nominally "right" to speak with the deceased. So what I'm saying is, make certain your act focuses; this will help you find the "right" kind of name when it comes to the act; for instance I used INTUITIONS for a very long time because Intuition is my claim and what makes the show commercial.

Think it over, maybe these points will help you refine your thoughts and inspire a name.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results