Need help with Faro shuffle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2016
I started learning out faro 2 weeks ago and I have ruined 2 BRAND new decks during this practice.. I am learning the faro from Dvd implausibilities by Hudson Taylor where he faros from the edges. All my cards(bikes) are spliting and bending.(something like a crimp).. What can I do? Ufff.....

Prof_Utonium

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
I´ve been faro-shuffling for years and splitting and bending was never an issue. It sounds like you´re applying way too much pressure. Here are some points to consider:
You should only apply a very light pressure. If the cards are in the correct position they´ll want to faro and you´re going to feel that. Actually, a light touch is the key to consistently getting a perfect faro. With too much pressure you´re likely to get errors.
Depending on how a deck was cut in the factory they´ll faro easier from top down or the other way around. So try both way and feel what your deck wants.
Both pakets need to be on the same plane and the edges must be even.
If find Hudsons handling a bit unusual although it obviously works fine for him. But you might want to check out Roberto Giobbis description in card college as an alternative.
If you want further advice you could post a video on youtube. Its difficult to give advice without seeing your handling.
Good luck!
(BTW: Implausibilities is a great DVD! I particulary like Finnels Finders)

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Try different brands of cards, they can behave differently. Bees are good for tabled faros. There is a thread from a few weeks ago that has more suggestions too.

Feb 12, 2016
I´ve been faro-shuffling for years and splitting and bending was never an issue. It sounds like you´re applying way too much pressure. Here are some points to consider:
You should only apply a very light pressure. If the cards are in the correct position they´ll want to faro and you´re going to feel that. Actually, a light touch is the key to consistently getting a perfect faro. With too much pressure you´re likely to get errors.
Depending on how a deck was cut in the factory they´ll faro easier from top down or the other way around. So try both way and feel what your deck wants.
If find Hudsons handling a bit unusual although it obviously works fine for him. But you might want to check out Roberto Giobbis description in card college as an alternative.
If you want further advice you could post a video on youtube. Its difficult to give advice without seeing your handling.
Good luck!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ImgyQEHDnzcTFTY09oRDRsYVU/view?usp=docslist_api

I can not faro with these cards!!!

Jun 22, 2008
earth
When you open a new deck of USPCC cards, they are badly cut and rough. The roughness hinders faro's, use a pair of denim jeans (not the ones that look like denim, use real denim) and sand the deck on all sides for a few minutes, be sure to bevel the deck both ways as you sand.

Feb 12, 2016
When you open a new deck of USPCC cards, they are badly cut and rough. The roughness hinders faro's, use a pair of denim jeans (not the ones that look like denim, use real denim) and sand the deck on all sides for a few minutes, be sure to bevel the deck both ways as you sand.
What will this do? Wont it ruin the sharp edges?

Feb 12, 2016
Good luck!
Which decks do u feel are best for faros?? Bees or Tally Ho`s??
Thank you

Jun 22, 2008
earth
What will this do? Wont it ruin the sharp edges?

I wouldn't say it would ruin, but rather remedy the sharp edges. Straight out of the box, the cards are only easily faro-able face up. Once sanded, they will faro face down as easily as when face up. The sharp edges contribute to the jamming when you try faroing, so once sanded, your cards won't split.
Look at it this way, when you get a new deck the edges are like a block with 90 degree edges, pushing two 90 degree objects against each other results in friction/jamming. Once sanded, they are no longer 90 degree edges but rather curved edges, when you push two of those together, they will more naturally glide up or under each other.

Feb 17, 2016
It's hard to imagine how will become?

Prof_Utonium

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I was offline for a while.
But I made you a video and hope that it´s going to help:

I think it really doesn´t matter if you use bikes or bees. I personally don´t like Tally-Ho at all for different reasons but they also faro well. The most faro-friendly deck that I´ve come across so far are probably Monarchs (blue, red, green - all equally fantastic). One deck that really doesn´t want to faro are NOC v3. They have other cool properties but they just don´t want to faro.

Feb 8, 2016
Greetings from one newbie to another.

I also started learning to faro approximately two weeks ago. I just want to echo some of the responses here. First, try more cards, not just new decks, but different decks from different manufacturers. I personally find brand new USPCC cards (like your bikes) impossibly difficult to faro until they are beat in, this aligns with what winterline mentioned about the edge shape. Second, don't force your packets together, if your cards aren't starting to alternate stop, re-align your packets, and start again. Applying more force to cards which aren't staggered wont stagger them. Finally watch more videos from various experts. I watched at least 5 different tutorial videos on how to faro, mix and match what makes sense to you in each video. There isn't one best way to learn.

I like the idea of posting a video of your attempts, sounds like this forum is full of kind people who want to help and that would be the best way to catch pit falls.

Keep at it, practice is the only way.

Prof_Utonium

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
Another strange thing about faro-shuffling:
You´ll see that you actually teach a deck how to faro. The most difficult faro with any deck in any condition is always the first. For some magical reason (or maybe superstition?) consecutive faros will become easier whith each faro.
But if the deck sits for a while it seems to loose its memory.
So the lesson here is: If you want to perform a trick requiring a faro you´ll want to "warm up" your deck with a couple of faro shuffles before you get into the actual trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results