Need some good card magic DVDs

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,

I need some good card magic DVDs. I've got Trilogy, Crash Course 1 and 2, Ninja 1 and 2. I don't care what any of you say, Ellusionist products are great, Brad is a fantastic teacher and if you think otherwise, you're missing out.

Anyway, I have those great products and I'm after something similar - DVDs chock full of great sleights and effects.

Can you guys name some?

No gaffs (only exception is double stick)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I MEAN CARD MAGIC, NOT CARDISTRY - MY MISTAKE

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Hey jimmah01, welcome to the forums!

Well I agree with you on Brad, he is a loving soul and wants to be all our friends. :)

I'd check out Daniel Madison's Dangerous: Mystique, a beautiful video, with neat ideas and concepts for you to tool around with!

Oct 6, 2007
Are DVDs the only option?

Or are you willing to learn from books too?

You will learn much, much more from 1 book, than any number of DVDs you get.

let's not turn this into an E debate again. Anyway, DVD's are god but I find that sometimes books are even more useful than a DVD. So, I will give you some examples of both.

DVD's:

Dangerous- Volume 1 and 2
( That is really the main one.)

BOOKS:

Mark Wilson's complete course in magic

Expert Card Techniques

the practical encyclopedia of magic.

Those are a few that I own and I find them extremely useful. They are all taught with step by step pictures with the exception of a few tricks in expert card tequniques.

Dylan P.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Cardistry isnt magic :S... If you are talking about flourishes, then get d+M dangerous and brian tudor generation xtreme (the teaching sucks, but the flourishes are great)... dan and dave the system is also great.

P.S. Brad Christian does suck..

Why is everyone recommending Cardistry and Gaffed magic when he specifically asked for "Card MAGIC" and "No Gaffs"... people can't read these days.

I'm a flourisher, so I'm no good to you jimmah01, sorry.

PS: Out of all the magic DVD's in the world, why would you recommend one that has been out 5 minutes, Dangerous, compared to things like RRTCM etc?

PPS: Just read that he wrote "cardistry" in his subject, guess its Jimmah's fault he's getting stupid replies ;)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Gregory Wilson's Pyrotechnic Pasteboards, and Card Stunts. Get some books, too. Some good ones that I like are Dominatricks and Session by Joshua Jay. They are both filled with card magic, but there is some other close-up stuff in there, as well.

Sep 2, 2007
Canada Toronto
Gregory Wilson's Pyrotechnic Pasteboards, and Card Stunts. Get some books, too. Some good ones that I like are Dominatricks and Session by Joshua Jay. They are both filled with card magic, but there is some other close-up stuff in there, as well.

Dominatricks does have a few card tricks but some require recking them...and theres a ton of other non card stuff. may not what you will be looking for.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Dominatricks does have a few card tricks but some require recking them...and theres a ton of other non card stuff. may not what you will be looking for.

A few card tricks? Hold on a second, let me get my copy out...

It has:

9 Card Sleights

9 Card Tricks

3 Non Card Tricks(that are still good!)

So most of the book is cards. Plus it's hilarious to read, and there's a funny introduction in the beginning and a funny interview with Tyler at the end. Very good book; check out my review if you want to know more.

Sep 17, 2007
If you don't mind a book I have for you the grandfather of Card Magic:

The Erdnase Bible

Free and Marvelously good.

Here is an advice, stop asking, and begin searching and doing.

By asking you are limiting yourself to the level of knowledge of the members, which I noticed that the members here tend to go for certain products.

My advice? Use this for the rest of your magic. Instead of asking, go to an online magic shop, Card Magic section, browse, read the descriptions, if you see something interesting, google the book/dvd for reviews, read them, if you're not satisfied yet, THEN ask about them. Your questions will be taken far more seriously, and you will see more serious answers. And if you meet magicians, asking them after doing the work, they'll gladly help you because they see you are a serious student rather than someone looking for the new hot stuff. This will reflect on you and your peers will respect you, regardless of your age.

Learning to fish is way better than waiting for people to throw their fishes. Not only better, but FAR more enjoyable.

If you show that you are working, not only you will develop a respect for magic more, giving you more and more skill in doing and presenting magic, but this will show to more experienced magicians, and they'll give you tips and share their work.

Words of Dai Vernon: "Use your head".

That being said, go and search, and ask here and in the cafe and in any other forum. I personally will be glad to help you with anything I know.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Here is an advice, stop asking, and begin searching and doing.

By asking you are limiting yourself to the level of knowledge of the members, which I noticed that the members here tend to go for certain products.

My advice? Use this for the rest of your magic. Instead of asking, go to an online magic shop, Card Magic section, browse, read the descriptions, if you see something interesting, google the book/dvd for reviews, read them, if you're not satisfied yet, THEN ask about them. Your questions will be taken far more seriously, and you will see more serious answers. And if you meet magicians, asking them after doing the work, they'll gladly help you because they see you are a serious student rather than someone looking for the new hot stuff. This will reflect on you and your peers will respect you, regardless of your age.

Learning to fish is way better than waiting for people to throw their fishes. Not only better, but FAR more enjoyable.

If you show that you are working, not only you will develop a respect for magic more, giving you more and more skill in doing and presenting magic, but this will show to more experienced magicians, and they'll give you tips and share their work.

Words of Dai Vernon: "Use your head".

That being said, go and search, and ask here and in the cafe and in any other forum. I personally will be glad to help you with anything I know.

now this statement is full of assumptions. here i thought asking people was a good way to find information, apparently not.

and i appreciate that you're trying to help, but telling me not to ask for suggestions is just not right. it's just like asking a teacher at school to recommend any books to help them learn some more about the english language and having them tell you to just look through a book shop til you find something.

thanks, but that doesn't help much.

Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Now wait just one darn minute Medifro.

An innocent magic enthusiast comes to a MAGIC site asking about MAGIC and you're turning him down? Well.. not only do you turn him down, you basically tell him that he should go somewhere else? Now, come on brother! Be reasonable, offer the guy what he wants, it is HIS choice whether he wants to find stuff himself (which I'm sure he, like most of us, already does) or get suggestions.

Please manG, be reasonable!

The misunderstanding ..

Here is the idea: Ask, but don't only do that, LOOK around, go to magic shops and LOOK for DVDs on card magic. See different options, don't only depend on asking people, because people will only recommend the DVDs they know, and the general idea I got while hanging around on these forums, the members here tend to go for certain very small selection of DVDs. Even if you go else where, believe it or not, some people keep the names of the DVDs to themselves. Feel free to ask, but don't depend on that only.

You could ask, but if you were told "get Dangerous", will you will blindly go for it, without seeing the other options?

The example on English books, it clearly shows you misunderstood. I didn't say "go around and see what you can find", I said "go around, see if you like anything, or find it interesting, then ask/search for reviews/opinions on it". I personally prefer the student to look around even slightly before coming to ask. Go to the DVDs section in www.mjmmagic.com , or just put "Card DVDs" in search, and see the stuff. Obviously don't buy blindly, google anything your interested in, and quite often you'll get a link to a thread in the magic cafe discussing it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results