New 1-on-1 : The Double Lift with Jason England

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
I like the double lift, but it's not perfect. I've gone through lots of routines I perform and replaced some double lfits with top changes. The top change is probably the best sleight in all of card magic. :D

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Dan and Dave's doubles are flashy and look like they are single, but they are far from natural... Look at the one they use in Tivo 2.0. Who takes a card out like that? Look at the Genistair. Who shows a card like that?

Ive never heard laymen complain about them when ive done them or seen them done by other magicians.
Flashy doesnt equal suspicious.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Ive never heard laymen complain about them when ive done them or seen them done by other magicians.
Flashy doesnt equal suspicious.

but Flashy does equal unatural to the laymen's eye. I just dont see the point of showing the top card and making it twirl 3 times on your thumb. I rather perform and handle cards like laymen would. Though never really substantiated, wouldnt you say that if you handled cards like a laymen would with simple actions and nothing flashy, they would feel more at ease? that they would feel as if you are "one of them" instead of some flashy pro whos "better" than them? Magic is already an art of arrogance, but still... I find those add-on flourishes just a bit too much for my taste.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
but Flashy does equal unatural to the laymen's eye. I just dont see the point of showing the top card and making it twirl 3 times on your thumb. I rather perform and handle cards like laymen would. Though never really substantiated, wouldnt you say that if you handled cards like a laymen would with simple actions and nothing flashy, they would feel more at ease? that they would feel as if you are "one of them" instead of some flashy pro whos "better" than them? Magic is already an art of arrogance, but still... I find those add-on flourishes just a bit too much for my taste.

if its the magicians style to make it flashy then so be it.
Laymen expect us to know how to handle cards. Its the popular idea about magicians in general to the layfolk. So why not?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
but Flashy does equal unatural to the laymen's eye.

I deleted the rest, how you want to do magic is totally up to you, but let's be honest, what do we do that is natural to laymen?

Isn't that the point of them being laymen, we do things differently, we're more crisp when we shuffle (or sloppier if you're Lennart Green) and we do the impossible. Asking someone to pick a card at all is unnatural, showing it and then putting it flush with the deck while turning it over is technically unnatural. If you wanted to do it just hold the card, put it in. No need to put it down totally and then put it in the middle.

How you do the double isn't what looks unnatural to any spectator that calls you out, it's more how you are when you do something. If you slow down when turning a card over and then later do it quickly it'll bring suspicion. Everything must appear natural, even if it's different. If it's natural for you to do something and you act casual then nobody will take enough notice to be able to question it, it won't register.

Sometimes being yourself, doing things 'like the laymen would if they were doing it'...if they were doing a magic trick they'd use stock patter, bad jokes, and sound awkward, should we do all of those things? If we did everything like our counterparts then we'd all be doing the same 21 card trick as well.

I'll get a chance to watch this one on one later today (download started this morning) and I can't wait to see Jason's work on the double lift.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I deleted the rest, how you want to do magic is totally up to you, but let's be honest, what do we do that is natural to laymen?

Isn't that the point of them being laymen, we do things differently, we're more crisp when we shuffle (or sloppier if you're Lennart Green) and we do the impossible. Asking someone to pick a card at all is unnatural, showing it and then putting it flush with the deck while turning it over is technically unnatural. If you wanted to do it just hold the card, put it in. No need to put it down totally and then put it in the middle.

How you do the double isn't what looks unnatural to any spectator that calls you out, it's more how you are when you do something. If you slow down when turning a card over and then later do it quickly it'll bring suspicion. Everything must appear natural, even if it's different. If it's natural for you to do something and you act casual then nobody will take enough notice to be able to question it, it won't register.

Sometimes being yourself, doing things 'like the laymen would if they were doing it'...if they were doing a magic trick they'd use stock patter, bad jokes, and sound awkward, should we do all of those things? If we did everything like our counterparts then we'd all be doing the same 21 card trick as well.

I'll get a chance to watch this one on one later today (download started this morning) and I can't wait to see Jason's work on the double lift.

I get what youre saying but I'm just saying what is the point of adding in a triple rotation when showing a single card. It makes you look good... I just much rather not "one-up" the audience when performing. Even though magic is already a "see what i can do" sort of hobby, I still retain the thought that I should "keep at their level" in terms of handling cards. Sure I will definately be better than them, but why make the gap even bigger?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
... I still retain the thought that I should "keep at their level" in terms of handling cards. Sure I will definately be better than them, but why make the gap even bigger?

After watching the One on One, the DL's he teaches aren't overly flashy. He's not showing Dan and Dave style doubles, most of them are pretty tame. I found one I'll be using and one I'll probably practice for fun, as well as lots of little tips here and there. The books he recommends getting are top notch too.

I do agree with you that there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to moves. Why should I do this this way and have to jerk my elbow out and this that and the other when I'm just putting your card back in the deck. The line will be different for every performer, your thoughts are as good as mine on the subject.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Eh, I think it was nice that he decided to go against the current and do something that wasn't a super neat new card or coin effect.

The thing also with Aaron Fishers talk about the DL is that he's actually right about it. What you guys are doing is a turnover not a lift. It's pretty much basic English and common sense that should tell you this.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results