New Job Opportunity + Book Questions

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hello all, i have recently been approached by a gentleman about a potential job as a dealer. I tend to always have cards with me when Im in the halls at college. This gentleman had seen me and had come up to me asking if i had ever dealt cards, knew how to stack, and a myriad of other questions finally getting around to asking me if i was interested in being a dealer at a weekly card game. Ive been doing magic for about 3-4 years seriously and know my way around a deck. That includes basic knowledge of card mechanics. Im not talking about cheating, although i know that too, im talking about shuffling, dealing, the rules, and etiquette. Im seriously considering taking this guy up on his offer but there a few things holding me back. One, the guy has repeatedly, jokingly made comments and inquired about my ability to cheat and stack the deck in his favor. Two, he has told me about the group and referred to it as an "old italian family" and the area is a little seedy but he assured me id be "protected" lol. Three, im a little nervous. If anybody has an advice for a job like this, or anything along those lines, im willing to accept criticism's, help or jokes about me being whacked by the mob. thanks

Second topic, i am looking into purchasing two books. The first is Pit Hartling's Card Fictions, that one is easy enough to locate. The other is "The Card Magic of Ed Marlow". This has proven to be more difficult to find a reliable seller. If anyone knows somewhere i can buy it that would be great. Preferably a store that sell's both books so i dont have to make two seperate orders

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
It seems really shady actually. If an older guy is watching kids at colleges (based on what info you gave us), it seems more shady. This probably has no relevance to this, but since you mentioned an old Italian family, I was talking to my friend today (who is Italian) and he said that on his dad's side there is a mob/mafia working a branch in card games. He also said that many Italians are subject to be a mob/mafia and to look out if there's an older guy trying to lure you in. I know this sounds hilarious to you but that's just the discussion I had today. If he's "joked" with you on stacking the deck in his favor, there is a possibility that there could be some danger involved. If you don't stack the deck in his favor at some points there could be a possibility of an "@sshole where your face used to be", if you know what I'm saying...

But it's all what you think. I would check the place out first, see what it's like, get the feel, and if it seems okay, then I would try it out. If things start to feel really weird with that place while working there,get the hell out. You don't want to be at risk of danger.

Just thought I'd give you my opinion. However, it is my opinion, so it might not be true, but I just thought I'd give a little insight.

Cheers,

Casey

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
It seems really shady actually. If an older guy is watching kids at colleges (based on what info you gave us), it seems more shady. This probably has no relevance to this, but since you mentioned an old Italian family, I was talking to my friend today (who is Italian) and he said that on his dad's side there is a mob/mafia working a branch in card games. He also said that many Italians are subject to be a mob/mafia and to look out if there's an older guy trying to lure you in. I know this sounds hilarious to you but that's just the discussion I had today. If he's "joked" with you on stacking the deck in his favor, there is a possibility that there could be some danger involved. If you don't stack the deck in his favor at some points there could be a possibility of an "@sshole where your face used to be", if you know what I'm saying...

But it's all what you think. I would check the place out first, see what it's like, get the feel, and if it seems okay, then I would try it out. If things start to feel really weird with that place while working there,get the hell out. You don't want to be at risk of danger.

Just thought I'd give you my opinion. However, it is my opinion, so it might not be true, but I just thought I'd give a little insight.

Cheers,

Casey

well, he attends the college so he wasn't just hanging out. And when i say older im talking like 30's, haha my 22 year old eyes are skewed i guess. But thanks for the idea's.

I'm going to echo the above. If you don't know anything more than some old guy is watching kids at a college then it does sound fishy. Also there's a difference between dealing and out right cheating. I guess it really depends on what he wants you to do.

But hey, if the money is good, I guess you should learn how to play poker, black jack, and a few other popular games!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I'm going to echo the above. If you don't know anything more than some old guy is watching kids at a college then it does sound fishy. Also there's a difference between dealing and out right cheating. I guess it really depends on what he wants you to do.

But hey, if the money is good, I guess you should learn how to play poker, black jack, and a few other popular games!

I agree with Draven, and stand by what I said above. Check the place out first, get a feel, and then decide. Don't make a blatant, straight forward decision. Do some research. Based on your signature, it seems your working a restaurant job? If that is your specialty, then stick with restaurants. It's a good environment for your work. But if you want to branch outside of your comfort zone, that's fine too. Good luck with your potential job. Hope everything goes well.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, there is a shadiness to it.

However, if you are very clear that you refuse to cheat or help anyone cheat, then you can give it a shot and see how you feel about the situation in the midst of it.

If it seems okay once you're in the midst of things, and no one tries to get you to cheat, then go for it. If someone does ask you to cheat, I'd get out of there ASAP. You don't want to get involved with that. Unless you do, that's up to you.

Jul 8, 2008
I think you should take it to your responsibility to find out everything you can. Who the family is, what they actually do, what he does, who will be protecting you, WHY you need to be protected etc. If you are going to require protection then something is up. If it's one family like he said, why can't they do it on their own time and not in a private place with guards and such.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
yeah, im having a tough time deciding if he's joking or being serious but im going up to the area this weekend to inspect the neighborhood.

Anyone have any idea's on the books i was looking for? thanks for all the comments so far.

Jun 7, 2009
Since you have never cheated in a game before, you are not ready to be a crooked dealer.

Knowing the techniques is one thing but doing them under fire is another

Since you have never cheated in a game before, you are not ready to be a crooked dealer.

Knowing the techniques is one thing but doing them under fire is another
Totally agree. I would be very weary of doing this. If they are the mob, i woudlnt do it. All depends on your own judgment. We can only provide so much advice via the internet. Do some research about the poeple who want you. Ask around.

J.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Just ask him flat out if he wants you to help him cheat. If yes, decline(unless you want get the D+M punishment). Just saying- they don't need to be in the mob to kick your @$$ for cheating.
Ask how many people are playing, what games they usually play(some games are dealt differently then others, so get familiar with them), and get an estimate of how long they usually play for.
Then ask how much you'll get paid.
If it's reasonable, I'd take it.

This thread brings me back to when I use to play texas holdem every week with some friends and a few old guys. I won a lot back then without cheating.
Everybody knew I was magician though, so I had to keep my hands on the table where they could see them AT ALL TIMES.

goodtimes haha

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results