New to Magic Questions..

Nov 26, 2008
Since this forum doesn't really have a "Noob Question" Section and this is about cards so I guess this is a relevant place to post.

I recently got into preforming magic about a month ago. I was inspired by my friend preforming the Biddle Trick for me. I was totally impressed and asked him how I could start doing magic myself. He taught me a few simple sleights like the Double Lift, and (though it's not really a sleight but more a fundamental) various Pinky breaks. He also lets me borrow most of his collection when ever I please. Here are the titles I have access to:

The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
Born To Preform by Oz Pearlman
Crash Course in Card Magic
Ninja 1&2
The Trilogy

I have alot of information being thrown at me at once. I really have no idea where to start. I don't know what to learn between sleights, flourishes, and tricks.

As of now I can do the following:
Double Lift
Double Undercut
Thumb and One Handed Fans
Butterfly, Charlier, and Sybil Cuts
Ribbon and Slip force
And a very convincing Transpo that I've been using to build confidence

nonetheless, I don't know where to go from here

I'd suggest... none of those DVD's.

If you want to get started in cards, I suggest The Royal Road To Card Magic (book and or dvd). It will take you from basic moves to advanced sleights and effects.

For a great starter to magic in general, I cannot recommend Now You See It, Now You Don't (by Bill Tar) highly enough. It covers so many different types of magic but is just enough information to not overwhelm you.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me with any questions.

C

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Well first off bud, your doin good for after a month. good job. I can reccomend something I like to call fast track resources, and here they are.

1. Inside Magic Tought By Brad Christian
2. Any Time Any Where Tought By Jay Sankey
3. (To Get You Some Good Impact On Magic) Army of 52 Tought By Justin Miller

Hope That Helps...

Z-M

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for all of the responses.

Haha The book "now you see it , now you don't" was in my Public Library! :] Unfortunately Royal Road was not available. Would you guys think it would be worth dropping money to actually own it?

Quick Question:
Can the pass replace most controls? Cause my friend can do it pretty well, but he says it takes alot of practice. Should I get started now or not focus on that sleight yet?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Quick Question:
Can the pass replace most controls? Cause my friend can do it pretty well, but he says it takes alot of practice. Should I get started now or not focus on that sleight yet?

Yes it can. But the problem is, the pass cannot be done surrounded. If you're doing it to only 1 or 2 people, then its a great control. If not, there care much better controls with less angle issues

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is full of fun and easy material for the beginner and should be in every magicians library.(It is redoculously cheap at $20)

If you are a visual learner and do not mind spending extra money get some of Michael Ammar's easy to master card miricles.

Luis

Nov 26, 2008
Is there any type of pass that you guys could direct me towards.

I understand the classic pass. I'm working on that now.

Nov 26, 2008
Oh, Thanks :]

where would i find it? I don't want to go onto youtube because their teaching is awful and it's normally wayy off from what is actually correct

Okay,

First, try to avoid popular dvd's by companies taking advantage of new magicians who don't know any better. While the material may be valid, it is available much cheaper in other sources such as books. Also, 9 times out of 10, a book will have far more info and be, as I said, much cheaper.

I'd suggest picking up the Royal Road To Card Magic DVD by R. Paul Wilson. While the book is great, it can be quite a difficult read because of the writing and english style. The DVD set will take you from the absolute basics to advanced material at a good pace.

Don't worry about the pass for right now, focus on getting comfortable with a deck of cards and perfect the basic sleights. That said, the pass is covered in Royal Road.

Also, to those who say the pass cannot be done surrounded... I have one word for you. Misdirection.

C

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
It really depends on your learning style. If you are a visual learner then some DVDs may be your start, but if you want volume and don't mind a bit of reading, then Royal Road to Card magic, then Card College, then Expert at the Card Table (preferably in that order) will get you to pro in no time.

Based on what you have now I recommend you learn in the following order

1) Born To Preform by Oz Pearlman (good start)
2) Crash Course in Card Magic (another good start but I like born to perform better)
3) Ninja 1&2 (for slightly more challenging material for a beginner)
4) The Trilogy (Great for adding some killer material to your arsenal)
5) The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (use this as a reference and when you want more effects)

Just my opinion

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results