New to Magic

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You realise that, by definition, a visual learner learns better through books, right? Books are a visual medium. You're not a visual learner, you just learn easier from DVD instruction.

You realise that, by definition, a visual learner learns better through books, right? Books are a visual medium. You're not a visual learner, you just learn easier from DVD instruction.

I would personally say that is wrong. When I take my dyslexia studies, I have been recommended that when I read my text books at university to mind map and draw out images to make them easier to understand and remember. As I am a visual learner. I also find it easier to learn from being taught rather than told.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey mate,

I don't know how dyslexia affects it, and I certainly don't mean ignorance - but the medical definition of visual learner actually includes the print medium. Words on a page are in fact something we see as well - although from my basic knowledge of dyslexia, I can understand how words would be harder for you to learn from - however I believe, with all due respect to you, that the term was misapplied (there was a discussion about the term a little while ago) in your situation. That said, I don't want to hijack this thread and I don't mean to insult anyone, but would be happy to continue this discussion via PM. :)

Hey mate,

I don't know how dyslexia affects it, and I certainly don't mean ignorance - but the medical definition of visual learner actually includes the print medium. Words on a page are in fact something we see as well - although from my basic knowledge of dyslexia, I can understand how words would be harder for you to learn from - however I believe, with all due respect to you, that the term was misapplied (there was a discussion about the term a little while ago) in your situation. That said, I don't want to hijack this thread and I don't mean to insult anyone, but would be happy to continue this discussion via PM. :)

There are many forms of dyslexia, to break it down it is: reading, spelling, handwriting, written expression, auditory processing, sequencing, memory, visual processing and phonological processing.

When reading a book, the words are visual, but, the mind has to work in a particular order to understand what the words are describing for the reader to visualise in order to imagine what point is being said.

If I were to read a book which was describing one move, say the mechanics grip, the description could say:

Wiki said:
To form the Mechanic's Grip, first hold the deck in your hand in the same fashion you might hold a hammer or tool. The cards should be laying flat in your palm with the longer side of the deck laying along the fingers. Take your pointer finger and move it to the short side facing away from you. Take your middle finger, ring finger, and pinkie finger and place them on the long side of the deck. Finally your thumb holds the deck together on the long side opposite of the other fingers. With this grip, more of the deck should be covered by your hand, thus making it more difficult for spectators to see what you are doing.

Although for a visual learner this can be difficult as it can take longer to understand the process, whereas, looking a visual image for example:

cardsf.jpg

Can be much quicker and easier to understand as the mind processes a mirror like image for the person to mirror what is being seen.

I think this is how some people prefer the visual (dvd/videos/clips) over the text (books/journals/magazines).

I do not feel we are hi-jacking the thread, it is still in discussion with people who are new to magic, and which way it is best to learn for them. :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the info re: dyslexia - as I tried to say before (not sure how successfully), I totally respect the symptoms of dyslexia as well as its impact upon learning from various mediums, specifically from text and video. So I totally accept what you're saying - merely observing that the official definition of visual learner includes text - and that in your case perhaps the use of the term was just as a simple broad definition rather than a medically technically and politically correct one.

Of course there is a great distinction between an image as a visual tool and text as a visual tool, and I'm sure that some people find it more helpful to see visuals. Again merely remarking on the official definition of the term. By general usage though, (dvds etc) I'm sure that a "more visual" medium is preferred by many (as opposed to merely being characterised a "visual learner"). Incidentally, just FYI, this point was originally brought up in the context of people using it as an excuse to avoid books. In your case though, as I said above, I appreciate the situation regarding dyslexia and was only speaking on a definitional level. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results