New tricks? WHEN?

Sep 1, 2007
Leesburg, Virginia.
What's the deal? Honestly, I've barely seen any new tricks here at Theory11 since it was first started over a year ago. Sure you can fizzle your money away with little downloads but I'm talking about the main ones like Digital Dissolve, Witness, etc. They ALL were released as, or just after Theory11's debut. Really the only "new" effects are eXile, Riot, and Thread which seem like they should be in the downloads section. I mean does a relatively small bit of geek magic deserve a full-length DVD? Not in my opinion. It's not worthy of a stand-alone effect. People just think "Oh he has the weird ability to do that." I'm not here to give my opinions of effects though. I'm here to ask WHEN IS THE NEXT TRICK COMING OUT? I'M TIRED OF MORE AND MORE AND MORE 'TEACH ONE MOVE' DOWNLOADS!

What's the deal? Honestly, I've barely seen any new tricks here at Theory11 since it was first started over a year ago. Sure you can fizzle your money away with little downloads but I'm talking about the main ones like Digital Dissolve, Witness, etc. They ALL were released as, or just after Theory11's debut. Really the only "new" effects are eXile, Riot, and Thread which seem like they should be in the downloads section. I mean does a relatively small bit of geek magic deserve a full-length DVD? Not in my opinion. It's not worthy of a stand-alone effect. People just think "Oh he has the weird ability to do that." I'm not here to give my opinions of effects though. I'm here to ask WHEN IS THE NEXT TRICK COMING OUT? I'M TIRED OF MORE AND MORE AND MORE 'TEACH ONE MOVE' DOWNLOADS!

They like to focus on quality instead of quanity, but I'm sure they've got a ton of stuff coming.

Nov 10, 2007
Dude what do you want them to release a trick that is'nt good and then people on here hound at them that they didn't release a good trick. They have released about 10 tricks in a year all with like perfect reviews, perfect quality etc. I think T11 is doing a great job releasing their tricks, applaud to you T11.

Sep 1, 2007
California
*Sigh* Well I'm going to go ahead and defend t11,

Although I see plenty of flawed, and rushed things in your post, I'll say this, they can't make a dvd every month. The reason so "little" number of affects are out is because they do things to make them good. Quality over quantity. It's sad that you expect a dvd every month. Plus, they have added plenty new affects, Riot(which IS a download), thread, Control, Exile, Dangerous, Believe, and more.

Almost all dvds can be said as"Oh he has the ability to do that.

Panic: Oh cool, he made kings instead of a deck

Witness: Oh cool it changes to my card.

Do you understand my point? It's sad that you are actually asking for more than what they do, be grateful.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007

dude. Calm down. See that's one of the problems of the magic industry. All these other magic websites release something like every month. And most of them aren't even good.

At theory11, they focus on quality not quantity. It's better to have a small group of great tricks, then 2000000000000000000 crappy tricks that aren't that good. Like Lee Asher once said, "It's better to have 3 great pieces of magic, because the difference between an amature and a pro is that pro does 3 and the amature does a zillion, but none of them well."

And plus t11 have released MANY MANY things in the past year, Control, Believe, Dangerous, Thread, Riot, eXile, and Prophet. And these are great, great effects!!!

Sep 1, 2007
Leesburg, Virginia.
I know about quality over quantity. I totally agree. But whenever I check back I never see anything new, and if I do, it's always something that focuses too much on the method and not enough on the effect. Just look at effects such as Digital Dissolve. Am I really going to pay $50 for a copper/silver transpo? Think about it. You can do better versions impromptu with pocket change if you just read a book! Copper/silver doesn't even provoke the audience anyway! Control and Prophet? That's thought-provoking. People WANT to do that. That's why levitation appeals to such a wide array of people. Man has always wanted to fly. Take "BeLieVe" for instance (which IN MY OPINION feel is such a confusing, pointless effect). You tear a corner? It changes? The card in their hand changes? What?? If not confused as to what just happened, spectators may think it's cool, but after you make a corner switch all they can say is "so what?". I recommend reading the book Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms. He talks about giving meaning to magic. Making 1's to 100's has meaning. Changing the face of a playing card zipped up inside an awkwardly folded ziploc bag has no meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 22, 2007
I know about quality over quantity. I totally agree. But whenever I check back I never see anything new, and if I do, it's always something that focuses too much on the method and not enough on the effect. Just look at effects such as Digital Dissolve. Am I really going to pay $50 for a copper/silver transpo? The only effect I think TRULY deserves to be on here is Control.

You represent whats wrong with magic today. |:

Its sad, really.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I know about quality over quantity. I totally agree. But whenever I check back I never see anything new, and if I do, it's always something that focuses too much on the method and not enough on the effect. Just look at effects such as Digital Dissolve. Am I really going to pay $50 for a copper/silver transpo? The only effect I think TRULY deserves to be on here is Control.

Well I'm not too much a fan of coin magic such as digital disolve, but if it's $50, I'm sure there is a good reason. Come on, I think EVERY(main) trick released here deserves to be here. I mean Prophet is nuts, the tricks and flourishes on Dangerous have gotten amazing reactions, and making 3 x's vanish from THE SPECTATORS HAND and make it appear somewhere else is something that no one has thought of!! I've shown eXile to many people and people are flaberghasted!!

And I'm sure theory11 has many great projects that they are working on. They just like to keep the suspense. Just be patient man.

May 3, 2008
How could Exile be taught in a download if you don't get the supplies that come with it? Seriously, what you're saying is flawed. Thread is not just a "small bit of geek magic". It is a full blown opener that really freaks people out. Saying that people will say "he can just do something weird" is strange as well; what do you think magic tricks are? They're strange stunts and presentations that make a person feel something whether it be fear, shock, astonishment, etc. If you can't get reactions out of Thread, then you are beyond help.
Anyway, Theory11 has released quite a bit of stuff, all of which are top quality. There have been more 10 releases over the past year, which I would say is not bad. I really don't understand why you're complaining; I don't think any company releases tricks all that frequently.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Take "BeLieVe" for instance, spectators may think it's cool, but after you make a corner switch all they can say is "so what?".

If you have performed believe and that's the reaction that you got, then you must have done it quite poorly or you just didn't emotionally connect with your audience.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I PERFORM BELIEVE, PEOPLE FLIP!!!!!

May 3, 2008
"BeLieVe" for instance, spectators may think it's cool, but after you make a corner switch all they can say is "so what?". I recommend reading the book Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms.

Then why bother doing card tricks at all? The job of a magician is to make them feel some sort of emotion, and when they see a corner visually change, it shatters what they thought was impossible. Magic doesn't need a justification. They don't care about why something is done, it's about their beliefs on what's possible. Of course it all lies in the presnetation and what you tell your audience. It's your job to add depth to it.

Sep 1, 2007
Leesburg, Virginia.
You represent whats wrong with magic today. |:

Its sad, really.

Sad that I aim my magic at my spectators rather than buy an effect because of a so-called ingenious method? I think you've got it backwards.

How could Exile be taught in a download if you don't get the supplies that come with it? Seriously, what you're saying is flawed. Thread is not just a "small bit of geek magic". It is a full blown opener that really freaks people out. Saying that people will say "he can just do something weird" is strange as well; what do you think magic tricks are? They're strange stunts and presentations that make a person feel something whether it be fear, shock, astonishment, etc. If you can't get reactions out of Thread, then you are beyond help.

You're right, the goal of the performer is to envoke emotion, but other than it's immediate shock value why should spectators care that you can pull thread out of your eye or wipe x's under a coin? Why should they care? Why is levitating is the most highly requested/talked about feat of magic? It's because people automatically emotionally and fundamentally respond to that. Making money? Automatic emotional response. Reading a person's mind? Automatic emotional response. Do you see what I mean? People have dreamed of doing it. People have always wanted to do it. THIS is where everybody here is wrong...if you could throw dice into a glass of water and have fizzle away until it became a crayon, people no doubt would be shocked and amazed. But don't mistake that for ONE SECOND as true astonishment and emotional attachment. Ask them what you did a month later and they'll be clueless. I focus on performing MIRACLES for my audience. When you ask a spectator what they saw me do a month afterwards they'd say "He levitated!" or "He read my mind!" instead of "Well he had some card in a bag and then I picked a card, and then he did something and then all this stuff happened and anyway, in the end it became my card." Stop wasting time trying to turn little feats of nothingness into something decent and then brag about how it's all about performance and showmanship because you're right, but use those skills for something that ALREADY has power. Don't waste your gas on a crappy car.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
You're right, the goal of the performer is to envoke emotion, but other than it's immediate shock value why should spectators care that you can pull thread out of your eye or wipe x's under a coin? Why should they care? Why is levitating is the most highly requested/talked about feat of magic? It's because people automatically emotionally and fundamentally respond to that. Making money? Automatic emotional response. Reading a person's mind? Automatic emotional response. Do you see what I mean? People have dreamed of doing it. People have always wanted to do it. THIS is where everybody here is wrong...if you could throw dice into a glass of water and have fizzle away until it became a crayon, people no doubt would be shocked and amazed. But don't mistake that for ONE SECOND as true astonishment and emotional attachment. Ask them what you did a month later and they'll be clueless. I focus on performing MIRACLES for my audience. When you ask a spectator what they saw me do a month afterwards they'd say "He levitated!" or "He read my mind!" instead of "Well he had some card in a bag and then I picked a card, and then he did something and then all this stuff happened and anyway, in the end it became my card." Stop wasting time trying to turn little feats of nothingness into something decent and then brag about how it's all about performance and showmanship because you're right, but use those skills for something that ALREADY has power. Don't waste your gas on a crappy car.

"Ask them what you did a month later and they'll be clueless."
NO!! You are wrong! I started magic my freshman year in high school and I'm now a junior, and people are still asking me to do tricks that I did my freshman year!! After over 2 years, THEY STILL REMEMBER!!!

If that hasn't happend to you and they forget what you did a month later, then that is YOUR fault!!! Lee Asher quoted this one guy before, he said, "If a spectator doesn't say that you are the best magician they have ever seen, then you didn't do your job!" Meaning that if you aren't leaving some sort of memorible mark on them, then that problem lies within you.

I mean, sure people freak when someone levitates and of course it beats magicially putting a card into a bag BUT there is something called good and better. An example: Which is better? 200 million dollars or 900 billion dollars?? Well of course you would say the 900 billion, BUT 200 million is still a freaking a lot!!!

I have something to tell you, I have performed several effects such as Contol and Distortion and stigmata and other amazing effects, BUT to tell you the truth, none of those effects have gotten the reaction that I have gotton by simply putting a card in their hand and then changing while they hold it.
It's probably the easiest card trick you can think of, but still, a little effect can go a looong way!!! It doesn't matter really what the trick is or how difficult it is, it's the psychological aspect that happens with your audience.

Oct 28, 2007
Sad that I aim my magic at my spectators rather than buy an effect because of a so-called ingenious method? I think you've got it backwards.

dude you need to chill ranting on about how universal tricks such as levitating is better then something like Thread is not getting you anywhere.

you have strayed off from your original question, when is the next product coming out? i don't know and i don't really care and neither should you.

at the point you sound like some noob that is to impatient to wait and has no respect for the art you are too worried about what other people are releasing, why don't you do something constructive and go make your own tricks that are to your expectations so you don't have some thing to cry about.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
dude you need to chill ranting on about how universal tricks such as levitating is better then something like Thread is not getting you anywhere.

you have strayed off from your original question, when is the next product coming out? i don't know and i don't really care and neither should you.

at the point you sound like some noob that is to impatient to wait and has no respect for the art you are too worried about what other people are releasing, why don't you do something constructive and go make your own tricks that are to your expectations so you don't have some thing to cry about.

Agreed.......

The only point you're comparing these tricks to is levitating. That's like comparing apples and oranges. Levitating on it's own is something completely different than a card/coin/geek effect.

No matter what you perform you should be able to blow away your audiences. And you said "automatic emotional response" how is rubbing ink on someone elses hand and making it move to somewhere else still on THEIR hand, not able to invoke an emotional response? How is being able to change a card inside a plastic bag THEY'VE been holding the whole time not able to invoke an emotional response? How is switching the coin the spectator has in THEIR hand into the one you were holding without touching them not able to invoke an emotional response?

All of these tricks rely on the spectator. If you make your spectator involved with your magic they will always have that emotional response because the impossibility of it increases that much more. Sure you can levitate and have someone watch but, I'd rather have them hold their card and as I wave an in-different card, make it change into the one they thought they were holding and vice-versa. Because they were not apart of my magic experience but, our magic experience, and that's something they will always remember.

-RA69

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Sands, think about it

Sands,

What you're asking is for Theory11 to turn into a Wal-mart style magic store. What is Wal-mart known for? Items that fall apart. T11's tricks are high quality and work in real world situations. Granted, not every trick will appeal to every eye, but there is something for everybody. In the past 6 mths they've come out with an incredible set called Dangerous, a great ACR closer in Riot, a David Blaine exclusive in EXile, and one of the freakiest tricks I've ever seen in Thread, not to mention the Propaganda deck and countless 1-on-1's with TOOC waiting in the wings to be released. What other magic company produces in house items at such a rate? Ellusionist doesn't, and Penguin doesn't. Penguin may release more items, but only a few that are Branded Penguin magic products. Production costs would be astronomical if they came out with a trick every month, not to mention the quality would go down greatly. The costs don't justify the means, Sands. T11 is THE place in my opinion to get the highest quality effects and information on the market. No offense to Noblezada, Oz, or Brad Christian, but I'd rather listen Chris Kenner's advice any day of the week. If you don't like it, don't come.

Zack

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
You're confusing your personal tastes in magic with faulty selection on T11's end.

If you can't find the material you're looking for here, look somewhere else. I don't understand why this is an issue.

Why should your audiences care? Who do you perform for? Paid gigs? They should care because they paid money to be entertained. Go there and entertain them, and thus they care. Do you perform for random people on the street? They shouldn't care, because you're some stranger claiming to be a magician. In that case, you need to sell yourself before you sell the tricks.

You seem to want to use your tricks to do the work for you, to connect to your audience on an emotional level. Maybe you should work on personal presentation and find out how to do that by yourself.

Find the material that works for you and that fits your character, and perform it. Easy. But don't go slamming other material because you don't have the skill to present it to your audience or to make it connect emotionally.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Hahaha, your arguments have so many faults in them. i'm quite sure that a good majority of these people will be able to say some very good points, but they won't change your thick skull mind.

What a shame =/

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results