New tricks? WHEN?

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
The way I see it, is if you have every single trick they have put out in the tricks section, you clearly haven't given each effect the practice that it deserves.

Look at it this way. Would you rather watch a pretty crummy DVD that keeps skipping and the lighting is unclear and only learn one trick... or would you rather watch a ver clear, well lit, high def DVD where everything will be clear as day? If that doesn't work for you then let me put it this way.

Over at E, they have a new effect every other week. I bought a couple DVD's from them and was dissapointed. In How to do Street Magic there was corny acting, nothing about approaching people, and for some reason always has a defect on any TV I play it on. Then there was Army of 52 that has the same defect in the video. There is a long line of wriggling static across the screen. And they left a lot out. Now, the ultragaff DVD set. They actually had good quality however they left you hanging. "Yeah so we threw in this one card that looks like three aces but has one back and is really one card. We don't know what the hell to do with t so you figure it out!" The sad part is I could do the battery trick by watching a performance, I could do the stabbing a 3 of hearts one by seeing a performance, but they left the cards that are almost impossible to use uncovered. ( Sorry Wayne but it's the truth. But i bet it was just E rushing you guys along.)

Penguin magic does that stuff too.

Then here is Theory11... We only have about 10 DVD's, yeah. But they are of the highest quality and clarity and cover everything you'll ever need to know about this effect including what kind of strudel they were eating when they thought up the effect. I mean, Dangerous explained everything so well that I never had to rewind and all the angles are so easy to follow. and besides if you don't have a ton of cash and want something cool we have 1-on-1's every week. And even those are easy to follow and clear.

The difference between other magic retailers and us is the choose to produce more and perfect less. We believe in quality over quantity.

Dylan P.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Look at it this way. Would you rather watch a pretty crummy DVD that keeps skipping and the lighting is unclear and only learn one trick... or would you rather watch a ver clear, well lit, high def DVD where everything will be clear as day? If that doesn't work for you then let me put it this way.

Over at E, they have a new effect every other week. I bought a couple DVD's from them and was dissapointed. In How to do Street Magic there was corny acting, nothing about approaching people, and for some reason always has a defect on any TV I play it on. Then there was Army of 52 that has the same defect in the video. There is a long line of wriggling static across the screen. And they left a lot out. Now, the ultragaff DVD set. They actually had good quality however they left you hanging. "Yeah so we threw in this one card that looks like three aces but has one back and is really one card. We don't know what the hell to do with t so you figure it out!" The sad part is I could do the battery trick by watching a performance, I could do the stabbing a 3 of hearts one by seeing a performance, but they left the cards that are almost impossible to use uncovered. ( Sorry Wayne but it's the truth. But i bet it was just E rushing you guys along.)

Penguin magic does that stuff too.

Then here is Theory11... We only have about 10 DVD's, yeah. But they are of the highest quality and clarity and cover everything you'll ever need to know about this effect including what kind of strudel they were eating when they thought up the effect. I mean, Dangerous explained everything so well that I never had to rewind and all the angles are so easy to follow. and besides if you don't have a ton of cash and want something cool we have 1-on-1's every week. And even those are easy to follow and clear.

The difference between other magic retailers and us is the choose to produce more and perfect less. We believe in quality over quantity.

Dylan P.

Do you work for theory11 or something now? :p

Sep 20, 2008
True astonshments/Totally out of control will burn the **** outta your wallet- so brace yourself.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Sad that I aim my magic at my spectators rather than buy an effect because of a so-called ingenious method? I think you've got it backwards.

You're right, the goal of the performer is to envoke emotion, but other than it's immediate shock value why should spectators care that you can pull thread out of your eye or wipe x's under a coin? Why should they care? Why is levitating is the most highly requested/talked about feat of magic? It's because people automatically emotionally and fundamentally respond to that. Making money? Automatic emotional response. Reading a person's mind? Automatic emotional response. Do you see what I mean? People have dreamed of doing it. People have always wanted to do it. THIS is where everybody here is wrong...if you could throw dice into a glass of water and have fizzle away until it became a crayon, people no doubt would be shocked and amazed. But don't mistake that for ONE SECOND as true astonishment and emotional attachment. Ask them what you did a month later and they'll be clueless. I focus on performing MIRACLES for my audience. When you ask a spectator what they saw me do a month afterwards they'd say "He levitated!" or "He read my mind!" instead of "Well he had some card in a bag and then I picked a card, and then he did something and then all this stuff happened and anyway, in the end it became my card." Stop wasting time trying to turn little feats of nothingness into something decent and then brag about how it's all about performance and showmanship because you're right, but use those skills for something that ALREADY has power. Don't waste your gas on a crappy car.

Well thats fine that you want to evoke emotions with your performance but you dont always have, every effect has its own place.

If im at a party performing some card magic without any meaning at all but im entertaining them and they are having a great time your doing your job, SO WHAT if they dont remember what i did, they had a great time then and there.

I have seen some of the greatest bands in the world performe, but do i remember what they did play or what they did? NO but i do remember i had a great night and i had a great time then and there and that is what matters. We are entertainers so thats our jobb and effects without meaning can still entertain.

Then if you want to have an emotional performance thats fine, but you make it sound like its the only right way.

May 19, 2008
manchester
well if you try and make every effect "connent emotionally with an audiance" then you look like a bit of a prat.

lets make a routine :)

1. gypsy thread - explain that when you saw this you decided to do magic for the rest of your life : its entertaining, but its not much, (its only a thread)

2. thread - some weird stuff, whatever patter you want, makes the audiance experiance shock, maybe play with it in patter.

3. saw (with ring) - bang bang bang, emotion is gonna be screaming around here, you using their ring, lets add to it, explain that as a child you were choking and then you worked out you could just pull the thread through your neck.

know their entertained (gypsy thread), shocked (thread), and are experiancing astonishment (saw).

you can bend lots of effects into a "connent emotionally with an audiance" effect ;)

Nov 17, 2007
I do agree with you(sands) saying that there is nothing new, but its not F***ing easy making new tricks. most of these tricks were created along time ago, and they have been testing it all this time to make sure its good enough for us to use it. so I would appreciate it if you(sands) wouldn't make posts like this in the future.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
No it is just the site I am loyal to and rarely go anywhere else. And WE was meant to be the community of members and consumers here.

Guh, I can't stand this stupid idea of being so-called loyal to an online magic store. Not only are you being incredibly self-limiting by doing so, but you're passing on that feeling to other members who may just be starting out. It's ideas of being loyal that start stupid site-wars between stores.

To say that you're loyal and rarely go anywhere else is ridiculous and I genuinely feel sorry for you if that's true. There are a lot of good magic stores and sites elsewhere, you aren't gaining T11-Points by being loyal to them and defending them and doing whatever else you want to do to become 'a name' on a forum.

/endrant

- Sean

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Guh, I can't stand this stupid idea of being so-called loyal to an online magic store. Not only are you being incredibly self-limiting by doing so, but you're passing on that feeling to other members who may just be starting out. It's ideas of being loyal that start stupid site-wars between stores.

To say that you're loyal and rarely go anywhere else is ridiculous and I genuinely feel sorry for you if that's true. There are a lot of good magic stores and sites elsewhere, you aren't gaining T11-Points by being loyal to them and defending them and doing whatever else you want to do to become 'a name' on a forum.

/endrant

- Sean

I do agree with you at some level.

I mean I consider myself loyal to t11 BUT I don't limit myself to JUST t11, there are several other websites out there that have great stuff, I just like theory11 the most. But seriously guys, there are plenty of other great websites out there and there is no point at getting defensive and trying to say theory11 is best out there and shunning all the rest. No! You can have a favorite but still experience and try other places.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
No! You can have a favorite but still experience and try other places.

Oh totally, I'm not saying you can't have a favourite, I'd be a hypocrite if I meant that. :p T11 is by far my favourite, I love the community here more than anything and I visit it almost, if not, every day. This is not however to say I don't go read other sites.

Broaden your horizons folks, there's a great and wonderful world of beautiful magic out there... Not just hardcore "omfg look, how did he do that! That's insane" magic; which isn't a bad thing, but is a topic of different discussion. I'm not saying that's what T11 is trying to do but because of their style it's what it's turning towards... Maybe this is just me and my negative eyes.

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results