New Video - Fran DC

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
From the video it looks as if you have a tendency to "over-prove" a lot of what you do. Like cutting the deck 3+ times/shuffling, flicking the single cards to prove there is nothing else, I find that it's unnatural to do that. It's better to just show the cards without flicking, riffling, or cutting constantly to show the cards are mixed - cause they have no idea what a double lift, a pass, or a control looks like. I also didn't like how you turned immediately to the left and did the pass/other secret moves. It again brings the unnatural feel. Why would you turn your body that way? Keep your body facing the front of the audience when doing the effect. Practice on getting your sleights smoother and more natural.

Sep 3, 2011
Middle of nowhere NY
I'm not sure if you were looking for feedback or just wanted us to watch it, but I would second what Casey said, to the letter. Removing the proving of the various aspects of the effect (single card, cutting/shuffling the deck, etc), will remove the idea that there's anything there to prove in the first place.

I would add that it also feels very rushed-- not just the sleights, but the shuffling and the flicking of cards. Slow it down! and it will become more magical. No need to rush through an effect.

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
I agree with what you guys are saying, I'd also like to mention some other things.
Fran, firstly, do not speed up your videos, they look unnatural.
Secondly, try different camera angles, have the camera pointing at the table not your chest.
Try these out. Goodluck.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's not really a performance if there's no audience. You need to calm down. The video seems sped up, as already commented on. If it's not sped up, maybe lay off the Red Bull. Calm down, stop over proving, learn to keep your frame better. If your sleight of hand is solid, you maybe won't feel the need to move the deck out of the frame in order to hide the sneaky business.

Apr 14, 2011
You turning really gave it away. Slow your moves down. You are tooooo twitchy. Other wise what everyone else said.

Every time I open one of your threads Fran DC I keep hoping that you'd show some iota of improvement. Some proof that you actually listen to some of the advice you ask for when you post these videos. Sadly I never get that from you. I'm beginning to think that you ONLY post these videos to show off. That you really don't care what people say to honestly try and help you. You just want to use this forum like a tool to drive views to your videos. Having said that I'll go ahead and give you some feedback on this video because I really do like trying to help people along in their craft.

I'm not going to bother trying to be nice about this, because you haven't showed me that you actually care about our advice so I'm just going to be blunt. I don't feel like I need to be nice when you don't feel like you need to listen to us so I think it works out.

:01 seconds into the video:
Your frame sucks. You show us the cards, but you put them down out of frame. It takes away from the presentation, and it takes away from what you're trying to do. I get sick and tired of watching the same belly shot, chest shot, or crotch shot from you, and the clothing choices you make is deplorable. It's painfully obvious that your just a kid showing off for the sake of look what I can do. My five year old niece does that too with every new dolly she gets. The only difference is I can actually turn your video off and spare myself the annoyance.

You need to THINK about how you present yourself and your magic. If you're going to use a table put a table cloth down. Solid color, so it doesn't distract from what your doing. Don't wear T-shirts with designs or logos on them (unless its your own brand) because it distracts us from who YOU are and WHAT you are doing. It's clear you've never performed for a single living person outside of your family, so I think getting a suit and tie, or some kind of outfit would be a waste of money on you, but at least wear a solid color polo shirt, and SLACKS. Not shorts. Not jeans. Not even dark denim. Slacks. Or Khakis. Second you need to get someone to work the camera. Static shots suck balls. There is no dynamic movement involved, there's nothing to keep my interest in your magic. It's opens the same way it closes, that being that I'm either staring at your chest or your crotch, and neither are an appealing sight to me. The camera guy should zoom in close on your hands or table when your showing cards, and pull back to show your face, and upper body when your shuffling or cutting the deck. If I can't see your face and specifically your eyes then I CAN'T connect with you as another human being. Magic, or for that matter any performance art is about connecting with your audience. If I can't see your face I psychologically can't connect with what you are doing. If I can't connect I can't care. If I can't care... well then I have no reason to watch you.

:08 seconds into the video:
Oh look... another ****ty framed magic video to more ****ty music that is poorly themed for what you're trying to do. Am I surprised? Not really, you haven't listened to us before, why should this time be any different. Take note! I want to see you PERFORM for once. If I wanted to watch a move monkey flip cards around I'd go to the Magic Castle. At least the people there do it better than you do. You COULD improve, but that would require that you actually listen to some of the advice your given.

Either your camera sucks, you speed your videos up for some stupid reason, OR you perform WAY to fast. Slow the hell down. Don't run if your not being chased. Fast movements only suggest you're trying to get away with something sneeky. IE it's a huge fricking neon sign that reads LOOK AT MY HANDS! I'M TRYING TO DO A MOVE THAT WILL FOOL YOU!

:30 seconds into the video:
You flip the deck around, shuffle it, flip the card around, and flourish WAY to much. I don't know why you riffled up looking at the order from the back of the deck. The only reason why someone would fidget around so damn much with cards is because they haven't practiced enough, rehearsed enough, and know the material well enough. Quit half assing these tricks. Routine them. Practice them, master them THEN show them off. Cut back on un-necessary movements and "proofs". If you do your job right you shouldn't have to prove anything to us. We'd just assume you were doing what you say you were. Oh wait that's right. You don't talk. If you're going to stay mute then develop a character or mannerisms that support that, supplement that even. Otherwise ditch the music and deliver some patter.

So once again I find myself in position to ask you, plead with you to please consider the advice that is given. You're obviously good at doing the sleights. I'm not catching too many cases of you flashing so you've got potential. You've got talent. You just need to go that extra mile to make your magic better. Trust me, if you changed one thing, did only one of the things people here have suggested you try, then your magic videos would improve drastically. God forbid I'd hate to see what would happen should you start listening to all of our advice... you'd be unstoppable!

You know I'm not happy with myself. Part of me wants to go back and edit out all that stuff I said because I know I was harsh on Fran. I know it wasn't exactly constructive criticism, but yet part of me just wants to let it be. Why? Because I don't feel like Fran is really asking us for advice. I feel like, because of his actions and post history, he's using us to pimp his youtube channel and garner video hits. Maybe by being harder on him, he'll either finally listen, or go play in another sandbox?

I don't know... I'm conflicted about this.

Apr 14, 2011
No I think you're correct in saying what you said. You articulated what everyone else wanted to say. If he is truly dedicated to magic then he will take to heart what you say.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm sorry... I couldn't watch past .08. First off, Adele? I love her, but what in the world does she have to do with this video? Secondly... your clothing choice. No offense... but when performing, what you wear goes a long way with how your audience perceives you... Or at least how i do. Your movement is too rapid. it becomes an uncontrollable game of monte for your spectator when they see you handling a deck of cards like that. Especially when you have no dialogue to include them in any other way. this is only 8 seconds of the video mind you...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results