Non-Card Related 1-on-1's!

Sep 1, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much an all card guy, but I recently have taken an interest in coins in an attempt to round out my repertoire. However, there is only coin related 1-on-1.

It would be great if maybe Homer Liwag or Chris Kenner or Dan White did some coin basics 1-on-1's and maybe got a few simple routines together.

I just feel that the 1-on-1 section needs some more variety in terms of magic mediums.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think that it would be great if T11 did that, that is provide an easy source for getting into coin magic.

I recently read this essay by David Stone that talked about how coin magic can be harder at first in that one is learning sleights that can initially be daunting. But then he goes on to say that coin magic gets easier as most routines draw from the same sleights. Whereas with card magic, it is a shallower learning curve in that there are some card tricks that are for the most part self-working, therefore allowing for more immediate payoff.

What I'm basically trying to say is that I think it would be great if some of the T11 artists taught some coin basics and routines.

If anyone agrees, please respond to this post.

Thanks!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Very good points-- and the feedback is extremely appreciated. Rest assured that we have already shot several non-card-related 1-on-1's in the past few weeks, and some of these will start showing up very soon...

We want to keep a solid mix and variety in the 1-on-1 section as it continues to grow-- with goal being to have many genres of magic (mentalism as well) included and represented.

Jan 27, 2008
That is very very true Longman

I know that it says that T11 is a magic and cardistry epicenter, but it is still a magic epicenter right???

I think it should go beyond just card and coins and flourishs... is should go to mentalism, or close up, even some stage magic ( i know it is very hard, very very hard)
but some principles and different effects.

I am brazilian and exsts a brazilian magic website called "The Magic College" (translation hehehe) that offers two free courses with simple trick like "turn water into ice" or "Folded paper coin vanish" and basics slights with cards and coins like the french drop, or the fist vanish. Evrything easily found in any, i mean any magic book.

But here is the catch, when you join the course it takes 3-4 days for a new class to come up.... the class is a writen explanation of an effect/slight and the effect performed on video so it takes some time ( 1 or 2 month ) for you to finish the course.

i dont belive that doing it for free is the idea, but maybe having 5 simple effects for a good price (idk what is resonable) is a great idea for the kid who wants to leran magic and has its first contac with migc through T11. I mean imagine the kid that loved Digital Dissolved but has no feedback in coin magic for an additional 7 buck (or more or less) he gets the special coin magic 1on1 with the basic slights for coin see???

i believe 1on1 has a lot more power (of teaching, and a lot more profit chances for you T11) than it has been used for.

I holpe i helped :)

Sep 1, 2007
Very good points-- and the feedback is extremely appreciated. Rest assured that we have already shot several non-card-related 1-on-1's in the past few weeks, and some of these will start showing up very soon...

We want to keep a solid mix and variety in the 1-on-1 section as it continues to grow-- with goal being to have many genres of magic (mentalism as well) included and represented.

That's awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing what lined up.

D

Deleted member 2755

Wow! Thanks for the heads up Bayme! I look forward to these!

-Doug

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia

MENTALISM?! YES!!! *dances*

I'm really into Mentalism but it never occurred to me that there would be any Mentalism 1-on-1's! I'm so happy.

I'd also like basic coin stuff and maybe even CK's threeFly.. even though a part of me doesn't really want it to be released on video, I just want to see if I'm doing it right.

Sep 1, 2007
It would also be cool if they had a 1-on-1 dealing with showmanship, where they take some simple effect and teach it, but with the main focus on how to present it.

Some more ideas:

Construction of some simple gimmicks, invisible thread, levitation effects, classic closeup effects, etc.

Sep 1, 2007
Alright. I'm confused. I thought "Threefry" had the coins change at the end. "Threefly" is the same as "menage a trois." The thing that's in the 1-on-1 section looks like "Long Gone Silver." Is anyone else confused?

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Alright. I'm confused. I thought "Threefry" had the coins change at the end. "Threefly" is the same as "menage a trois." The thing that's in the 1-on-1 section looks like "Long Gone Silver." Is anyone else confused?

Doesn't "Long Gone Silver" use a wand?

EDIT: And "Menage a Trois" is the one I want as a 1-on-1.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
why would there be a gimmick building tip video in a sleight of hand section, and if there is mentalism, it'll have to be 'sleight of hand and mind section':D

Sep 1, 2007
why would there be a gimmick building tip video in a sleight of hand section, and if there is mentalism, it'll have to be 'sleight of hand and mind section':D

Guess I can't argue with you there as it does say "sleight of hand."

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
not saying its a bad idea, i love home made gimmicks, because when you spend ages making and perfecting them, there is a sense of pride when performing with them, but it wouldnt fit in that section...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results