Obvious THREAD question...

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
To Wayne, or anyone else that has purchased the download and gone thru it...

how safe is wayne houchin's "geek" method of thread???

anyone care to comment on this?

-JOSH

D

Deleted member 2755

To Wayne, or anyone else that has purchased the download and gone thru it...

how safe is wayne houchin's "geek" method of thread???

anyone care to comment on this?

-JOSH

I'm still downloading the video, but the answer is on Houchin's site.

"On this DVD WH performs and reveals The Geek Method - the exact method and presentation he has used to open his performances for almost a decade. He then teaches The Sleight Method, which is based entirely in sleight of hand and can be performed safely. THREAD is intended for the serious performer only."

The way I see this is, perform the Geek method at your own risk.

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
Doug...

I read that too. Got the same vibe from "THREAD is intended for the serious performer only" I just figured someone from the Houchin camp would have said something before the release regarding the overall safety of the effect rather than just releasing two versions and saying its only for serious performers. It could still be unsafe for a serious performer. I think the effect looks great, and i've seen Wayne do this in person, and it comes across amazing...However, it's not something that I would perform if I'm in pain or left feeling super uncomfortable when finished. More than that, any possible long term effects from performing THREAD??

-JOSH

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Hey guys -

There are 2 methods taught on the DVD - the "Geek Method" and the "Sleight Method." Both of these methods appear almost identical to your audience. Although I have been performing the Geek Method for about a decade with NO problems, there will always be some risk associated with it. The Sleight Method, however, is based entirely in sleight of hand - so there is no risk at all involved. I hope that answers your questions - have a great night!

Nov 8, 2007
Does wearing contact lenses affect performing the geek method? I asked this another thread but got no response. If someone could chime in on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
Wayne that isn't really answering our questions. We want to know how exactly painful the geek method is. I know many people might be thinking the same thing as me. The sleight method can't look as good as the geek method. I'm buying this for the geek method. I don't want to waste my money on something that could do any serious damage.

Dec 5, 2007
The geek method does not hurt really, not at all but for me it just feelt really uncomfortable. Not painfull just uncomfortable.

Does the sleight method look as good as the geek method? For a magician who have seen both methods, to us the geek method will look better, but if you did performe both methods for a spectator they would have said that you were doing the same effect.

I LOVE the sleight method and i think its more practical and easy if your going to performe thread, say all night long.

To a spectator it will apear the same.

Its a really great video.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Geek method - doesn't hurt, the pain is all acting. Wayne was completely comfortable the entire time and has had himself setup up to 4 hours beforehand, ready to perform. While pulling the thread from his eye, he talks naturally and normally, going over the routine. Might be uncomfortable for you, but as long as you don't yank the thread out or dig around your eye or something weird, you shouldn't be in pain.

In this method, you can open your eye and show the thread coming from it. In the sleight method, you can't exactly do that.

Sleight method - requires the tiniest of gimmicks, and it's probably not what you think. Not as clean and open as the geek method. Your gimmick will take less than five minutes to make and shouldn't cost much.

To us, they don't look exactly the same. To the spectator, they look very similar.

Geek method: swallow thread, pull it out (with the thread-in-mouth flossing action), show eye open if you want.

Sleight method: swallow thread, pull it out (with the thread-in-mouth flossing action), keep eye closed a bit, probably have to put your other hand in your eye for a bit depending on how good you are, and definitely at the end.

Dec 5, 2007
I think both methods are great.

If i was doing a show i would use the geek method but if im just performing for friends or at a party i would do the sleight method because i think its easier to do on the fly.

I dont think any method will get a different reaction, both will probably get the same.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hey guys -

There are 2 methods taught on the DVD - the "Geek Method" and the "Sleight Method." Both of these methods appear almost identical to your audience. Although I have been performing the Geek Method for about a decade with NO problems, there will always be some risk associated with it. The Sleight Method, however, is based entirely in sleight of hand - so there is no risk at all involved. I hope that answers your questions - have a great night!

Not to sound negative, but do they easily appear identical to your audience, or identical if you've been performing it for ten years. Kind of similar to box monster when he says it takes 30 seconds to make, when he meant 30 seconds... if you've made 100 a day for 2 years.

-Kevin

Not to sound negative, but do they easily appear identical to your audience, or identical if you've been performing it for ten years. Kind of similar to box monster when he says it takes 30 seconds to make, when he meant 30 seconds... if you've made 100 a day for 2 years.

-Kevin

The actual process of a thread being taken out of your eye looks the same in both methods, not executed the same, but looks the same. But only as long as you practice every little part that actually makes up the "whole picture" of the effect.

I although prefer the geek method over the sleight method by a big margin. The reason why is because the geek method has so much more freedom. The geek method there's more for the audience to see and you can blink and show your eye around a lot better than compared to the sleight method.

brian.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results