On the art of real world magic (or what should magic look like)

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Let's face it, your well-performed, hard-hitting effects are probably the most awesome thing your audience will ever witnessed in a day/week/month/year/life, and furthermore, they will only be better and better as they recall it (see Thread interview - Wayne Houchin).
With that in mind, I shall begin my exposé.

How is it that people don't scream out of joy when a magician come to see them ? How could it be that, when doing street magic, even the pros sometimes get rejected (see the DG Project - Daniel Garcia) ?
There's probably one and only one reason for that : are you really looking like the freaking awesome magician or as the dude with his 52 pieces of paper ?
In fact, the most important thing in magic, whether you perform for friends/family/laymen/magicians/marks, is probably to establish rapport with your audience.

Your act shouldn't be :

[A]

*tap on shoulder*
Opener : Appearing deck with Flash paper
Audience : running away ; screaming ; punching you ; calling 911

Middle : ACR ;
You : "here's my awesome routine utilizing twelve different sleights!"

Closer : Omnideck finish
You : "but you were soo fooled I used only one card haha"

But it should be :

Establishing rapport (read PUA's natural stuff and NLP basics as it gets very nerdy)
Casually produce a coin while chatting with audience
One coin routine
Disappear the coin
Let them time to react :
Audience : "WTF!?" or at least very interested look[/COLOR]
They ask to see more (only if you were good of course)
Then you can :
-go into a more standard routine with more magician props like cards, rubberbands ...
-go cocky/funny & close :D

The overall sequence should be breaked down into those steps :

-Establish rapport
-Begin casual magic : see list below (produce your props!)
-Talk/chill out
-Eject/Go deeper depending on their reactions

[This approach will avoid the weird response that you can get when you tell someone that you're a magician and you want to show them a trick (=needy!)]

Thus said, I'm open to all reactions/suggestions/critics/haters

List of the best impromptu looking magic that can open :
-Almost everything with coins
-Self Tying Shoelace - Jay Noblezuada
-Flow - Dan Hauss (You:"WTF my water is not going down!")
-The Manchurian Approach - Anthony Jacquin (You:"Ever seen an hypnotist?")
-post your suggestions!

I believe it would be a great idea to do a Megapost (pdf?) on impromptu magic, so if you're interested, manifest yourself and contribute to the post :)

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
Well I don't completely agree with what you said, given the fact that sometimes, the circumstances don't allow you to start a casual talk with you audience (crowded room, not enough time...). I think the Deck Flash appearance is a very good way to :
- let everybody know that you're a magician
- let everybody know that you're good (flash paper, and more generally fire screams PRO)
- gets everybody attention...

...all that without having to say a word : I personnally think it's a perfect opener...though it may not fit your style !

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Well I don't completely agree with what you said, given the fact that sometimes, the circumstances don't allow you to start a casual talk with you audience (crowded room, not enough time...). I think the Deck Flash appearance is a very good way to :
- let everybody know that you're a magician
- let everybody know that you're good (flash paper, and more generally fire screams PRO)
- gets everybody attention...

...all that without having to say a word : I personnally think it's a perfect opener...though it may not fit your style !

I understand your point of view, although I'm hereby talking about real world magic, and not gig, not someplace where your audience is expecting you to do magic for them.
In street/casual settings, fire as an opener will scream : I'm dangerous AND I'm a show off.
And imho, it's not a good thing to do when performing street magic, because your act become a showoff, and no longer a mysterious cool guy casual act (if that even make sense.)
Furthermore, posing as a "cool guy" rather than a magician will allow them to keep a stronger image of you (as your magic is not overdone and as they will expect more from you than a "magic trick!").

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results