Palming advice

Jan 11, 2008
france
just wanted to ask if anyone has some advice in palming cards, i have small hands and my palms are terrible. How can i practice it? its not really the type of thing i find you can do infront of the mirror until it looks right.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Actually in your case it kinda is...
You have to master your angles because you are palming with small hands
how else to do that than using a mirror? or a video cam...
Hours and hours in front of the mirror slowly adjusting your hand positions so you can cover all angles.

advice.... practice without a mirror until you grab it seamlessly. take baby steps. This is not a crucial sleight of muscle memory until you try and do it quickly. So for now, just do it, sit in class with your cards under the desk one handed top palm, these days, your not hiding the fact that palming a card is... a hidden magic move. if it were a double lift, ya, thats a time to be alone. but palming, no man just get it done, then later, work on angles. all the basics too. card college and royal road has palming, daniel madison uses palming in a lot of effects, not really taught, but you see a lot of pictures. crash course 2 from E crudely describes it

Nov 1, 2007
just wanted to ask if anyone has some advice in palming cards, i have small hands and my palms are terrible. How can i practice it? its not really the type of thing i find you can do infront of the mirror until it looks right.

Well, i recommend using lateral palm, its more invisible than regular palm, and more usefull:) (but thats just my opinion)
Easy to learn, u should just buy Lennart Greens dvd, Green volume 1.

Sep 1, 2007
Palming? No! Nooooo! Run away! Save yourselves!

My advice is to continue to learn good tricks from good resources until you come up against one which requires the palm, and learn it within the context of that trick. Greg Wilson teaches a nice palm on Double Take, and it's the one I still use for palming off the top of the deck to this day.

Think of palms not as "hold outs" but as transfers - from A to B in the shortest amount of time possible. Very rarely is there a need to palm and keep the card palmed (cards across is an example of this). With the right misdirection - easy to create - palming doesn't need to be invisible, that's why you can get away with having small hands. If you make misdirection, timing, justified actions, crossing the gaze, larger movement covering smaller movement, work for you, palming becomes a lot safer.

Wesley James has some interesting thoughts on palming in "Enchantments".

Sep 1, 2007
I've always had a problem palming because my fingers are so damn skinny that one can see whether or not there's a card behind them (this makes it very difficult to do the invisible palm). So more often than not, I'll use a tenchai palm to keep a card hidden, but that's just me.

I'm still working hard to get a good regular palm.

Dec 25, 2007
just walk around all day with a card palmed....i promise it helps cause then it just comes naturally.....dont perform just leave the card palmed all day.....it worked for me and then practice palming coins to....thats always helpful

Aug 31, 2007
1. Misdirection
2. Do it when they aren't expecting it
3. Remember, Max Malini had terribly small and deformed hands. But he was well known, and IS well known for palming a large block of ice and loading it under his top hat. It's all down to practice and knowledge of how to manage angles.

- harapan. magic!

adivce

i would say do not listen to the people who say stay away from palming.
if you would like to get anywhere in magic, your gunna have to laern how to palm someday or another.

your hands my be small but use the magicians friend:
misdirection.
mister max malini had small hands, too.
read his work.
he was the one that said wait a we if you have too.

Sep 1, 2007
"If you would like to get anywhere in magic, your gunna have to laern how to palm..."

Nonsense. Palming is just another sleight - like the double lift or an overhand shuffle placement. You can do without one particular sleight without it having any impact on your career as a magician.

There are some tricks you CANNOT do without a palm - but they're few and far between. Quite a few of those that use a palm can be modified not to with some creative thinking; after all, the method should be invisible to the audience so what's the difference?

Guiguimanu,

I have a small hands too and I couldn't perform the KAOS. When I first palm a card with a poker deck, it just falls out. First I practice with the bridge size card to just get the feel of palming a card for just 4 months. Then I was able to palm a card with the poker deck just like I did to the bridge card. It takes practice.

Hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results