Performance today went pretty bad...

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Yup, I also performed at a mall ONCE. I showed PANIC to this guy who sold flying helicopters, he saw the deck in my pocket in the beginning but a few seconds later he said "very good". By the way how do you approach someone at the mall? And where do you and the spectator go? When I'm about to go home, I quickly find someone and get all shaky and stuff.

Everyone has given a lot of good advise. I would add one thing, which may seem very subtle, but for me at least it helps a lot with people who can sometimes be viewed as "tough crowds", difficult spectators, or even hecklers.

This one thing is a small paradigm shift in your thinking that could make your magic more enjoyable (for both yourself and your spectator) and less confrontational.

When I first started out I never understood why people became jerks when I would perform for them. I mean, I spent all of this time and effort to perfect what should appear to be magic and I'm also "going out on a limb" to be entertaining (all for their benefit and amusement) and even the nicest of people start going out of their way to try to mess up the effect. Why is that?

Then I realized, "Oh... I'm coming across as a show-off, know it all, who is trying to fool people." Nobody likes to be made a fool of, so they will try to sabotage your efforts, just to prove that they can be as smart as you, or that they are not fooled. Often these people blurt out their own answer to the little bit of impossibilia that they just witnessed, which sometimes is the method I was using, and sometimes not.

While these people are not ideal to perform for, I completely agree with James' post about finding a way to continue to have a good time with these people if possible.

A long time ago, I use to train in the Japanese martial art called, "Aikido". Roughly translated it mean, "the way of spirit harmony". A lot of Aikido involves "going with the momentum of your attacker and actually adding to their attacking force, so you can unbalance them and ultimately prevail".

Taking this idea and applying it to magic, I would say, "when being attacked, don't attack back... Instead join with your attacker and use their attacking energy to fool them anyway."

One way is to remove both you and your spectator from the effect. A good example of this is Michael Ammar's handling of "The Virgina City Shuffle" (Easy to Master Card Miracles vol. 5). In Michael's handling he tells a story about how he was fooled by a street hustler. In describing how you were fooled you fool your spectator in the process. With two card monte, you may be able to do something similar just by changing your patter.

Another way which is useful when you hear, "there is no such thing as magic" is to not fight it, but instead go with it... "Your right! If I could do this for real, I wouldn't be here now... :) But if I could really do this, it might look something like this..." (...and continue on with whatever effect you were doing...)

If you can tell that your spectator is the type to blurt out their explanation, so they can be the big shot who isn't fooled, don't fight it. Often saying something like, "Hey I bet you would be good at performing magic! You have a keen eye, so this probably won't fool you, but the other day I showed this to so and so and they thought it was real magic... Hear let me show you what I did." (...perform the effect...) "Now I know I didn't fool you but so and so completely freaked out." ;)

Often is can be useful to mix in some "sucker" tricks. Two that come to mind, since I previously mentioned Ammar is "That's it" and "Play it Straight Triumph". Both of them have the strong element of the Magician messing up (which is exactly what the heckler wants) however with both you end up coming out on top in the end. Again, the important thing is to not "retaliate" against your spectator for their natural reaction of not wanting to look foolish, or to be fooled.

If all of that fails and they are still being difficult, just thank them for their time and explain that you had a good time and greatly appreciate the opportunity to get in some extra practice.

I hope this helps a bit,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Wow. I really never thought of anything like this before. Thank you very much! I'll remember your words.

There's your problem right there. Well, one of them. Your first mistake was trying to do walk-around during the Christmas rush. People have enough on their minds already without us interrupting them.

Anyway, why do you think you have something to prove?

Well, I don't HAVE anything to prove, but I WANT to prove. I want to show him that magic "is real" (if you know what I mean). Lot's of us have put a lot of hard work into this art, and it's heartbreaking to hear someone say "magic isn't real."

Sep 1, 2007
Hmm.. well I have performed 2CM countless times, without being caught (with the exception of three times, "Hey I know that, I saw it on youtube.") It may have something to do with your pattering. Make sure all of your wording TELLS them not to look at the cards. I personally use the line from the beginning "Now without looking what's in your hand?" They answer, get it right, and I then I say "Ok, from this point on, no cheating, ok? Here's the queen of diamonds; I'm gonna switch it and your job is to keep track of which card is which.) You have to show that you're in command, and I guarantee you'll never fail. Also remember that tone of voice plays a crucial role in your patter.

Dec 2, 2007
Ah.....well...

I don't know about everyone out there, but I get pretty pissed if someone called me a phony and what not, saying magic isn't real.

There is a parable about an old stage magician, which I am going to paraphrase here as it may help. So gather around while I weave this yarn: :)

"There once was an old stage magician who performed his show twice a night (six nights a week) for the past 50 years. In his show he performed many different tricks and illusions, such as pulling a rabbit from his hat, sawing a lady in half and making an elephant disappear. Every night his show sold out and most nights it ended in a standing ovation.

One day the magician received the bad new that his mentor had died and left him a big box of magic books and various random pieces of magical apparatus. While examining the apparatus he discovers an old tarnished genii lamp, which he decides to clean up a bit. After rubbing the lamp the old magician is shocked that a real, honest to goodness genii appeared and asked the magician for any wish. The old magician thought for a few minutes and then said, 'I wish that my magic was real!' The genii nodded and then disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

The next night the magician went out on stage and REALLY pulled a rabbit from his empty hat, successfully sawed a lady in half for real and restored her (a tremendous medial breakthrough) and then with just a wink caused a 7 ton African Elephant to vanish into the aether.

At the end of the show the magician had a huge feeling of accomplishment and the show ended with a standing ovation. However in looking over the crowd the magician realized that nobody had notice that he was performing REAL magic."

Moral of the story?

There are always going to be people out there who try to poke holes in your performances, blurt of their solution to the 'puzzle', or try to heckle you even if you were performing REAL magic. Personally I would rather be performing tricks, with a small hand full of people believing it is real, rather than performing real magic and the majority of people believing it to be fake...

Your feelings are natural; however it is better to let those feelings go because we are all deceivers ... if we do our jobs well. ;)

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Tampa Florida
If you want to prove something, that by definition means you think you have something to prove.

Why? Why do you think you need to accept these pointless challenges?

Because he wanted to.
why does he have to explain himself to some random magician named steerpike.
I dont get it. Just because you post your life stories at ellusionist doesnt mean you can come here and ask why? my advice:go practice cups and balls steerpike.

to the topic poster,
keep performing eventually you will build confidence and if you want to challenge your spectators go ahead and do it. its your magic its your show.

Sep 1, 2007
Because he wanted to.
why does he have to explain himself to some random magician named steerpike.
I dont get it. Just because you post your life stories at ellusionist doesnt mean you can come here and ask why? my advice:go practice cups and balls steerpike.

Second, I'm trying to help. Sometimes that means pushing people out of their comfort zones. If you're too immature to deal with that, you shouldn't be a performer.

Finally, cut down on the hostility.

Besides, what makes you think anybody needs you to speak for them? Vague Theory clearly is intelligent and eloquent enough to stand up for himself.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your help.

And to Steerpike, I really can't answer your question...

I guess some people just get to me.

Do you watch Mythbusters? In the opening theme, Adam Savage says, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

That means you do not have to take any challenge or acknowledge any test that you do not wish to. If someone challenges you with, "Magic isn't real," you're under no obligation to say anything or prove anything. That person is a guest in your reality. You treat your guests well. If he doesn't want that, there are plenty others that do.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
That sucks that your performance went badly today, but I think that failure can be one of the best teachers.
Think about what you did wrong, maybe your DL was sloppy, or maybe you didn't manage your audience properly, but think about what went wrong and why, and then, knowing what went wrong, pratice. Practice on a sleight that you think needs work, and maybe next time your performance will be better.
Good luck!

Sep 2, 2007
A venerable man once stated that we all fall in order to learn to pick ourselves up.

The highs and lows of performances, especially for random spectators in the streets, can be invaluable learning experiences. I'm sure as you continue to perform, you'll get the hang of it -- you'll know what to do and what not to, how to handle hecklers, when to walk away, etc.

Like Lego building blocks, each performance should build upon the other -- the important thing is to be cognizant of what went right, what went wrong, if anything, what worked, what should be improved, and what should remain the same.

Keep at it, keep performing, and keep your spirits high!
where can i find the card to mouth by dan and dave?
You can find Hand to Mouth on the Tricks DVD (Volume 1) of The Trilogy.

Cheers,
JTM

A venerable man once stated that we all fall in order to learn to pick ourselves up.

The highs and lows of performances, especially for random spectators in the streets, can be invaluable learning experiences. I'm sure as you continue to perform, you'll get the hang of it -- you'll know what to do and what not to, how to handle hecklers, when to walk away, etc.

Like Lego building blocks, each performance should build upon the other -- the important thing is to be cognizant of what went right, what went wrong, if anything, what worked, what should be improved, and what should remain the same.

Keep at it, keep performing, and keep your spirits high!

You can find Hand to Mouth on the Tricks DVD (Volume 1) of The Trilogy.

Cheers,
JTM

Thanks for the inspiring words man!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results