Performing Card Tricks for Children's Show?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I am sure you have seen my video on "The Importance of Theming Your Magic." But just in case you have not I will go ahead and leave it here! Maybe it may help inspire some creative ideas?

@obrienmagic, although you main points are correct, I'm not sure your examples are that strong.

As for telling engaging stories, stories about magicians are never entertaining or able to cause an emotional investment. Also, telling a stranger that love needs to be shared and they shouldn't let someone else hold on to their heart sounds like a bad Hallmark card. Emotional connections come from stories about people. Good presentations make people think and allows them to feel. Making interesting choices and branding go beyond the how you dress and the props you use. It really is the effects you present and how you present them.

As for magic you can perform in addition to card magic, I suggest some of the following:

-Magic Coloring Book: Super easy and you can build it up and make it last 4-5 minutes with a fun and interactive story.
-Sponge balls: I can make a sponge ball routine also last about 4-5 minutes using just a retention vanish. They love when you make the ball vanish from your hand and jump into theirs. I usually bring 5 kids up with me to help and each one gets to try. You would think it gets repetitive, but kids love repetition. Practice a simple retention vanish and you can easily perform a fun sponge ball routine.
-Self Working Gimmicks: Like drawer box, chinese sticks, rising wand, dove pan, etc.

I hate the magic coloring book based on how most performers perform it. Better to do the stamp book from Mark Wilson's Complete Course or use the concept some other way.

If you are going to do sponge balls, learn the material and do a routine that involves more than a retention vanish. And please, don't call them clown noses or martians.

As for the self working gimmicks, most kids know they are self working gimmicks. You can use them in a unique way, but most of the time even the kids know they could do the same thing with a couple of dollars to spend in a magic shop.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Magic is a bit different when performing for children, especially card tricks. They often aren't able to remember or recognize the symbols on the cards and thus don't have the greatest reaction. The biggest issue for me has been they have very short attention spans. Your tricks need to keep them engaged. If you absolutely have to do something with basic cards, do something quick and visual like a backpalm, color change, or that vomiting card thing.

I was also going to suggest using sort of custom cards with more recognizable and simple designs but it seems that everyone else has already brought this up. I think someone mentioned doing an ACR with a dog card. Something like that. That could totally work. Avoid anything too complex to follow like a three or two card monte. I actually do a hand sandwich trick for kids with the jokers (colored and black and white as it's easy to follow rather than the suits and numbers) where I tell them I have super speed like the Flash.

One good one that tends to work if performed correctly only needs a balled up tissue and a volunteer. You call one kid up and impossibly vanish the tissue in front of him. However, the rest of the audience can see that you just threw it over his head. I tend to not like tricks that work at an audience member's expense but this trick can work in the right context and I've heard some people say they only perform it if there's one kid who's being obnoxious and it's clearly bugging the other kids.

I highly recommend learning a sponge ball/bunny routine if you're going to perform for kids as it's somewhat easy to learn and kids love it. Plus there are hundreds of possibilities for patter using them. The coloring book trick is also a classic of children's magic and they love it, because the most common presentation of it uses the entire audience as a volunteer in a way as they all imagine pictures and throw their colors into the book. If you're able to pick up multiple new props and tricks, buy tricks that focus on comedy and audience participation.

As I said earlier, kids have very short attention spans. This is why most kid's shows are very bright, comical, and involve many volunteers. It keeps them from getting bored. This is why story and patter is very important for kids magic. You can't take the Blaine approach of just "watch this cool thing" and perform the trick. You have to give some sort of story or personality to the props so that they want to keep watching.

I tend to ramble and jump all over the place so I'm sorry for this long and possibly illegible message. I hope I was able to help in some way! Let me know what you think! Also, if you ever do perform a children's show, let us know how it goes so we can give some helpful feedback :)

Oct 19, 2015
I think that makes you one of the best paid magicians around :)

I love it. You need to have a silk streamer to pull out of its mouth!

I've done card to rubber chicken and I'm still working on my Rubber Chicken Zig Zag effect.

All magicians must have Grandkids, as you say the rewards are of great value! The rubber chicken thing I am still working on what all I can do with that prop...it is one of those things that young kids from 2-10 get a big kick out of it popping up out of know where....I am trying to work it into my new egg bag....you know the what came first the chicken or the egg....

The more you learn the more options you find and new creative ideas.....

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Magic is a bit different when performing for children, especially card tricks. They often aren't able to remember or recognize the symbols on the cards and thus don't have the greatest reaction.

Generally, kids 6 and up can remember the names and values of the cards.

The biggest issue for me has been they have very short attention spans. Your tricks need to keep them engaged. If you absolutely have to do something with basic cards, do something quick and visual like a backpalm, color change, or that vomiting card thing.

I'm going to disagree... a bit. I think those types of effects are good at grabbing their attention, but not keeping their attention. My invisible deck routine involves a beachball and music to select the card one characteristic (black/red, hearts/diamonds, face/number, value of card) at a time. My card to nested boxes routine involves a selection, tearing a card, vanishing it from the deck and having it reappear in a bunch of nested boxes. I've done Dan Harlan's Hovercard very slowly with a story for astonished kids.

Again, it is tricks with cards, not card tricks (e.g. gambling demonstrations, sandwich effects, ace productions, etc.).

One good one that tends to work if performed correctly only needs a balled up tissue and a volunteer. You call one kid up and impossibly vanish the tissue in front of him. However, the rest of the audience can see that you just threw it over his head. I tend to not like tricks that work at an audience member's expense but this trick can work in the right context and I've heard some people say they only perform it if there's one kid who's being obnoxious and it's clearly bugging the other kids.

Don't listen to the people who say to bring the obnoxious kid on stage and embarrass them. It doesn't work and you look like a bully. The routine is Slydini's Paper Balls Over the Head and when done right can be wonderfully amusing. The presentation should be fun and playful. You are giving one spectator an amazing experience of seeing magic close up while giving the audience the magician's perspective.

Also, the one problem with doing this effect for kids is that they will yell out what is happening to the spectator on stage.

I highly recommend learning a sponge ball/bunny routine if you're going to perform for kids as it's somewhat easy to learn and kids love it. Plus there are hundreds of possibilities for patter using them.

A sponge bunny routine has a great internal story to it, which is part of why it works.

The coloring book trick is also a classic of children's magic and they love it, because the most common presentation of it uses the entire audience as a volunteer in a way as they all imagine pictures and throw their colors into the book. If you're able to pick up multiple new props and tricks, buy tricks that focus on comedy and audience participation.

I think the coloring book is well suited to those kids age 5 and under. I've never seen a routine that I find interesting, including Silly Billy's routine.

If you're able to pick up multiple new props and tricks, buy tricks that focus on comedy and audience participation.

As I said earlier, kids have very short attention spans. This is why most kid's shows are very bright, comical, and involve many volunteers. It keeps them from getting bored.

Although a lot of this is the "conventional wisdom" spouted by cookie cutter kids magicians, I tend to mostly disagree. A children's magic show, like any magic show, needs to have a texture to it. Merely focusing on the level of interaction (how loud and often the kids scream somthing) rather than the types of interaction and the variety of the effects and presentations makes the show more like a clown act than doing magic. The bright props aren't necessary, the multiple volunteers isn't necessary, the sight gags, the look-don't-see gags and the bumbling magician act aren't necessary.

What is necessary is strong magic, a strong presentation and an engaging character.

This is why story and patter is very important for kids magic. You can't take the Blaine approach of just "watch this cool thing" and perform the trick. You have to give some sort of story or personality to the props so that they want to keep watching.

This is where you almost nailed it. I say almost, because props can't have personality. Only magicians can have personality.

Having a story isn't enough. You need to have an engaging story or presentation. Pretty much every story or presentation I use could stand on its own and be interesting without the magic. Now, everything shouldn't be a story. There is a place (although it is limited) for other ways of presenting magic, including narrating the adventures of the props.

As I said above, shows need to have texture. That means effects use different props, show different effects (i.e. everything doesn't vanish and then reappear), have different presentations, have different pacing, have different tones ranging from silly to serious and have different types of interactions.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Generally, kids 6 and up can remember the names and values of the cards.

I'm going to disagree... a bit. I think those types of effects are good at grabbing their attention, but not keeping their attention. My invisible deck routine involves a beachball and music to select the card one characteristic (black/red, hearts/diamonds, face/number, value of card) at a time. My card to nested boxes routine involves a selection, tearing a card, vanishing it from the deck and having it reappear in a bunch of nested boxes. I've done Dan Harlan's Hovercard very slowly with a story for astonished kids.

Again, it is tricks with cards, not card tricks (e.g. gambling demonstrations, sandwich effects, ace productions, etc.).

Don't listen to the people who say to bring the obnoxious kid on stage and embarrass them. It doesn't work and you look like a bully. The routine is Slydini's Paper Balls Over the Head and when done right can be wonderfully amusing. The presentation should be fun and playful. You are giving one spectator an amazing experience of seeing magic close up while giving the audience the magician's perspective.

Also, the one problem with doing this effect for kids is that they will yell out what is happening to the spectator on stage.

A sponge bunny routine has a great internal story to it, which is part of why it works.

I think the coloring book is well suited to those kids age 5 and under. I've never seen a routine that I find interesting, including Silly Billy's routine.

Although a lot of this is the "conventional wisdom" spouted by cookie cutter kids magicians, I tend to mostly disagree. A children's magic show, like any magic show, needs to have a texture to it. Merely focusing on the level of interaction (how loud and often the kids scream somthing) rather than the types of interaction and the variety of the effects and presentations makes the show more like a clown act than doing magic. The bright props aren't necessary, the multiple volunteers isn't necessary, the sight gags, the look-don't-see gags and the bumbling magician act aren't necessary.

What is necessary is strong magic, a strong presentation and an engaging character.

This is where you almost nailed it. I say almost, because props can't have personality. Only magicians can have personality.

Having a story isn't enough. You need to have an engaging story or presentation. Pretty much every story or presentation I use could stand on its own and be interesting without the magic. Now, everything shouldn't be a story. There is a place (although it is limited) for other ways of presenting magic, including narrating the adventures of the props.

As I said above, shows need to have texture. That means effects use different props, show different effects (i.e. everything doesn't vanish and then reappear), have different presentations, have different pacing, have different tones ranging from silly to serious and have different types of interactions.
Listen to this guy^. He is far more experienced than I am and basically everything I've ever seen him say on this forum is brilliant.

Speaking of that, thank you for the feedback RealityOne! A lot of the stuff you said there was sorta what I was going for yet you worded it much better than I could. I'm much more accustomed to closeup street magic type things so children's magic isn't really my area of expertise. As a matter of fact, I don't really have an area of magic I'd call myself an expert on lol. Comic books are another story though.

As for the kids and card tricks, most people I perform for are either under 6 or over 12 so there's that lol. I wasn't really sure at what age card tricks become interesting to kids. So thank you for that information!

Also, I like your beach ball trick. Sounds cool! And I agree with your statements about those tricks being attention grabbers but not engaging tricks really.

As with cards, I wouldn't know what age makes the coloring book work the best but I do like this trick.

In response to the Paper Ball over Head trick, I had no idea Slydini created this. Also, I was sorta trying to say that the trick really only works if performed correctly and that I don't tend to like tricks that embarrass an audience member. I've actually never performed this trick in a children's situation so I wouldn't know about performing it in that scenario. I wasn't really clear in this part and probably shouldn't have mentioned this trick.

As for your statement about cookie cutter kids magicians, I totally agree. Like I said, I don't really do kid's magic often so I wouldn't know. Now that I reflect on it, most of my knowledge comes from what I've seen before at birthdays. I probably shouldn't have given that much of a response despite my lack of knowledge but it was late and I was tired so I probably thought it was a good idea at the time.

Honestly, the only thing I could really recommend from experience that works well with kids is a sponge routine. Hell, it works on older audiences too. Everyone loves the sponge balls!

So thank you again for your reply! Really appreciate your input!

Reactions: RealityOne

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
@obrienmagic,

If you are going to do sponge balls, learn the material and do a routine that involves more than a retention vanish. And please, don't call them clown noses or martians.

I saw Penn and Teller recently. They did a small demo of their magic kit using Cups and Balls. The story they used was the red ball's were Vampires. It was pretty entertaing.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Speaking of that, thank you for the feedback RealityOne! A lot of the stuff you said there was sorta what I was going for yet you worded it much better than I could. I'm much more accustomed to closeup street magic type things so children's magic isn't really my area of expertise.

I thought you were going along the right path and just wanted to steer you in the right direction. I think your observations are correct, but differ a bit on the solutions. There isn't as big a jump between street magic and children's magic as you would think.

As for the kids and card tricks, most people I perform for are either under 6 or over 12 so there's that lol. I wasn't really sure at what age card tricks become interesting to kids. So thank you for that information!

Having a kid of your own and repeatedly showing them card tricks throughout their lives gives you a good sense of when they (card tricks, not the kid) become interesting.

As with cards, I wouldn't know what age makes the coloring book work the best but I do like this trick.

I love the principle and actually working on a routine where I will use it in a completely different context. I really want a coloring book where the pictures are blank, colored with a crayon inside of the lines and then colored with crayons outside of the lines. You could work that into a fun story. Or have one that adds one color at a time. How about a comic book version that has blank, rough sketch, final sketch and then color?

In response to the Paper Ball over Head trick, I had no idea Slydini created this. Also, I was sorta trying to say that the trick really only works if performed correctly and that I don't tend to like tricks that embarrass an audience member. I've actually never performed this trick in a children's situation so I wouldn't know about performing it in that scenario. I wasn't really clear in this part and probably shouldn't have mentioned this trick.

Mentioning it lead to a good discussion and learning some history of the effect. I agree with your not liking tricks that embarras the audience member. Watching Slydidni do it, you get the sense that he is just "playing" with the spectator and isn't trying to embarass him:

As for your statement about cookie cutter kids magicians, I totally agree. Like I said, I don't really do kid's magic often so I wouldn't know. Now that I reflect on it, most of my knowledge comes from what I've seen before at birthdays. I probably shouldn't have given that much of a response despite my lack of knowledge but it was late and I was tired so I probably thought it was a good idea at the time.

Actually, keep responding! I've found that the discussions on magic forums help clarify people's thinking and help test theories. It is all about thinking and learning.

Honestly, the only thing I could really recommend from experience that works well with kids is a sponge routine. Hell, it works on older audiences too. Everyone loves the sponge balls!

+1 Like.

Reactions: Timewise64

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I thought you were going along the right path and just wanted to steer you in the right direction. I think your observations are correct, but differ a bit on the solutions. There isn't as big a jump between street magic and children's magic as you would think.

Having a kid of your own and repeatedly showing them card tricks throughout their lives gives you a good sense of when they (card tricks, not the kid) become interesting.

I love the principle and actually working on a routine where I will use it in a completely different context. I really want a coloring book where the pictures are blank, colored with a crayon inside of the lines and then colored with crayons outside of the lines. You could work that into a fun story. Or have one that adds one color at a time. How about a comic book version that has blank, rough sketch, final sketch and then color?

Mentioning it lead to a good discussion and learning some history of the effect. I agree with your not liking tricks that embarras the audience member. Watching Slydidni do it, you get the sense that he is just "playing" with the spectator and isn't trying to embarass him:

Actually, keep responding! I've found that the discussions on magic forums help clarify people's thinking and help test theories. It is all about thinking and learning.

+1 Like.
Thank you once again for your feedback! I stand by my statement about you always knowing what you're talking about lol.

Also, it's always fun hearing new facts about the history of magic and specific effects.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results