Performing... Finally

May 14, 2009
I am in a similar position to a person who has posted a thread a couple days ago. I have been practicing in my room for quite a while now and want to start performing in the real world(aka school) but I do not feel that I am ready.
I have several tricks lined up to do:
Ultimate transpo
ambitous card
2 card monte
witness
panic
timeline 2.0
a coin bend(very basic)
and a little pick-a-card trick that I put together.
So I was wondering if these tricks would be sufficient to build up a lasting reputation. Perhaps someone could direct me to some really powerful street magic(which is what I want to go into). Also, how should i get into doing magic if i was, say, at recess. Should I just say "do you want to see a magic trick" or should i just bring out the cards and wait for someone to ask, or what? Thanks in advance for your tips!

I am in a similar position to a person who has posted a thread a couple days ago. I have been practicing in my room for quite a while now and want to start performing in the real world(aka school) but I do not feel that I am ready.
I have several tricks lined up to do:
Ultimate transpo
ambitous card
2 card monte
witness
panic
timeline 2.0
a coin bend(very basic)
and a little pick-a-card trick that I put together.
So I was wondering if these tricks would be sufficient to build up a lasting reputation. Perhaps someone could direct me to some really powerful street magic(which is what I want to go into). Also, how should i get into doing magic if i was, say, at recess. Should I just say "do you want to see a magic trick" or should i just bring out the cards and wait for someone to ask, or what? Thanks in advance for your tips!

If you don't feel your ready then you never will be. It's rare to find someone who really believes they are ready and can go out and perform without some second thoughts.

If you are relying on your amount of tricks then you are on a wrong path, it's all about the quality of the effects. If you still have recess then you must be quite young.

Practice a lot more, the only reason I say this is because many young magicians are not very smooth with their cards and presentation. So practice a bit more and put up a vid of you demonstrating just one effect like you would for a spectator.

May 3, 2008
Let me just tell you this, you will be nervous at first. I recommend you take it little steps at a time. Before you perform at school, perform for people who you are just meeting for the first time. When you feel comfortable with that, perform at school, but try to limit your performances to friends and people you know. When you feel comfortable with that, perform for strangers at school. When you feel like you can do that, try performing for complete strangers on the street.

Hope this helped,
Charlie

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I have been practicing in my room for quite a while now and want to start performing in the real world(aka school) !

That sooo far from the real world.

But im with the other guys here for the most part.
Perform anywhere and everywhere and get your character straight.
If your just the normal guy with fast hands kinda magician like most people then go ahead with that. But make yourself interesting please...please for the love of god.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I have some of the same problems but I do not have recess. I do get two breaks where I work and I've been doing flourishes to see if people will come to me and check out what it is I'm doing. Some say that it won't work because of the fancy hand work. But I still get in some practice...by the way I work in a weld shop and it is NOT a good environment for my cards.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
just go out and do it man, make sure u got these effects as bullet proof as you can and make sure your prestation is good, then go out and blow minds anywhere you can, not just school.
Much luck
Peace!

Oct 17, 2009
Hey. That was me that posted that thread about performing for the first time.
I got some really good advice on my thread. Here's the link:
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=23495

And one more thing: Take a look at your school rules and make sure that cards are allowed. Cards are forbidden at my HS (fear of gambling), so just make sure.

Sep 24, 2009
WA
Let me just tell you this, you will be nervous at first.
Charlie
I agree, I just started performing at school 2 days ago and when I first did the ACR my hands were seriously shaking for fear of messing up, and I normally don't get nervous since I play violin a lot and do too many recitals, solos, etc. Try to do like 1 or 2 tricks to a small group and they'll spread the word that you're a magician.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The only word of advice I have is just to start off with your friends. Don't worry about anything, if you've got good friends they'll support you whatever happens. I know friends tend to crack jokes, laugh, etc., but as long as they know you're serious, and you try and confident, good friends will always support you. And you don't need to say much to friends by way of introduction, which is a nice place to start. Introductions are amongst the hardest things to get right and perfect, so it's good to not have to worry about it for now.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
What most of these guys already said, just go perform. It's the only way you'll get better. Experience is the key to advancing in your magic. Good luck!

Cheers

May 3, 2008
I agree, I just started performing at school 2 days ago and when I first did the ACR my hands were seriously shaking for fear of messing up, and I normally don't get nervous since I play violin a lot and do too many recitals, solos, etc. Try to do like 1 or 2 tricks to a small group and they'll spread the word that you're a magician.

One thing that helps with the shaking is to use pretty much self working tricks. That way there's nothing to worry about. Once you get used to that, perform more challenging things.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
While most of the people here have a point, personally i'd recommend jumping in at the deep end, my first real performance was for a group of 30, i did an invisible deck, somehow managed to screw it up, and then recover. The confidence i had after doing this was phenomenal and much more than you'd get from performing for friends etc... and as you are still at school and mess up... who cares its not that big a deal.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
One thing that helps with the shaking is to use pretty much self working tricks. That way there's nothing to worry about. Once you get used to that, perform more challenging things.

Greatest advice here. I started that way. Self working tricks. But you still need to practice, so they don't come out as self working tricks, aka. presentation.

Self working tricks will help you get over nervousness. And after you do, start with some simple sleights tricks, and build from there. It gets addictive ;)

Jul 18, 2009
Just walk into scholl, blow peoples minds and walk out. You will never feel ready to perform, but it is amazing what you can get away with in the real world. I agree with visualartist too. PLEASE make yourself interesting.

Nov 7, 2009
1. At home learn to spring the cards. Practise this until you are quite good
2. Sit down at lunch or break with a couple of people and get out your cards and spring them. (This grabs there attention...) Just start doing flourishes and shuffles to yourself whilst ignoring everyone... Do this in a not crowded but area with a couple of people sitting next to you or close to you.
3. After 1-3 minutes of flourishing start to look around as if your looking for someone then look back down and immediatally start flourishing for 1 more minute. Now stand up and look around again this time look for some people who look like they enjoy magic. Make sure there not on the phone or bust talking...
4. Walk up and tell them your a magician and if they wanna see a couple of tricks.
5. If they say no say are you sure its free (smile). If they still say no say nevermind have a good day and walk away to someone else. If they say yes say nice here I have a deck of cards and basically just now do your routine.
5.I reccomend starting with ultimate transporsition then say pretty cool right. They will say yes. Say check this out 2 queens right... Then do 2 card monte now either say thanks for watching see ya around now shake there hand or just walk away smiling...
6. If you want to be even better now buy either stigmata, branded, or something like that and perform that for your finisher...
7.Make sure the routine is under 5 minutes and is to the point but also let it happen in there hands alot...

Thanks for reading - Peace

- Alfie

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results