Permanent Ink - Dalton Wayne

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Artist: Dalton Wayne
Site: Theory11
http://www.theory11.com/wire/dalton-wayne/permanent-ink/

Ad:
Permanent Ink is a gimmick that allows you to do the impossible, imagine the unimaginable, and eff the ineffable.

In one performance, the magician shows his/her hand completely clean and empty. He/She then introduces a Sharpie (owned or borrowed) to the audience. The illusionist draws a dot onto his palm and visually moves the dot to any location on his body using nothing but his own fingertips. At any point, the performer can pause and show that the ink is truly shifting. At the end of the performance, the spectator may examine and feel the ink to confirm it is 100% real.

Another effect involves the spectator choosing a playing card; the magician draws whatever he/she would like. Take the word "DROP" for example. The magician then shakes the card, and one of the letters visually falls toward the bottom of the card. What makes this unique is that the performer can immediately hand the card out for examination. The spectator can keep this magical artifact as a souvenir.

You will learn how to make the ink vanish at a moments notice anytime. Permanent Ink is applicable to almost every situation, and is an open ended effect that is limited only by your creativity. Not for use on squirrels.

So you just read the insanely long ad. On to the review.

Effect: Move permanent ink on your skin or playing card.

It's a cool premise for sure. Moving dots on playing cards has been done, and in hipster fashion, Dalton has made sure not to do that. His moving ink on a card involves a letter of a word dropping to the bottom of a card. Not bad, really. Moving the ink on the skin was pretty cool as well.

First thoughts: I pretty much figured this out right when I watched the trailer, and even though I was right, I still love it and plan on doing it tomorrow night. A layman won't figure this out, if you're worried about that. The only reason we (magicians) figure things out is that we tend to see things a bit differently, and rightly so.

Side note: Dalton was nice enough to send this to me last night, and I think I may have upset him when I told him how I thought it was done before I watched the explanation. So, Dalton, if you're reading this, I am sorry if I've upset you in any manner. I love P-Ink.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Handling (Dot movement): The handling for the dot on the skin is very, very easy. If you're a magician starting out that wants to work with gimmicks but are worried about the audience seeing it, get P-Ink. It's so easy, and very much invisible. Clean up is a cinch, almost the easiest clean up I've seen for a gimmick in a really long time.

Handling (Drop): As much as I enjoy Dalton's work, Drop has worried me. The visual is absolutely fantastic, but the handling seems really contrived to me. However, it's almost entirely worth it to be able to give that card away at the end. If you just think a little bit, you'll be able to stream line the handling in no time and should have no issues. I think Dalton just gave you a basis to go off of. You can either shake the letter down or you can drag it.

*Note* Shaking it looks GREAT, but seems very hard to control properly. You can do what Dalton suggests, which is shaking it a little, and then dragging it. So, a mixture of the two.

Gimmick: What I thought it was, but that doesn't make it any less awesome. I can 95% guarantee you already have it lying around at home. It's easy to use and you'll be able to make a lot of gimmicks for this.

I highly recommend this, as it's so worth doing.

Not bad, Dalton. Not bad at all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results