Perversion by CK or any other inversion routine

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Hey all,

I was wondering how many of you perform Perversion by Chris Kenner or any inversion-type routine?

I have read through it in TOOC and found it to be super interesting. Actually, one of the first tricks I learned was a quick one where the spec's card magically reverses. So I've been into it for a couple of years.

I was seeing if people perform Perversion just like it is or if they come up with their own versions. I personally like the first part of the routine, but am not a fan of the second phase technique all that much. Are there some other versions that you perform or any sleights that you would suggest? I know the gravity half pass is a good one to use as The Paper Engine has an effect similar to this that was inspired by Perversion.

I would love to know your thoughts! Thanks.

Chris

Dec 18, 2009
I would try A.F.I. by Dorian Rhodell. It can be found on his DVD Avenue which is sold on DanandDave.com.

Jan 26, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Unfortunately, I do not own Kenner's TOOC, however, I do enjoy the inversion plot. The version found in the Paper Engine is killer, but does require some mastery of the gravity half pass. I also recently found another wonderful routine on Dan and Dave Buck's website (it's a download called Special K by Will Houstoun). Check out the video, it's a well put together routine.

I also have my own inversion routine, which I hope to video at some point.

Cheers!

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Unfortunately, I do not own Kenner's TOOC, however, I do enjoy the inversion plot. The version found in the Paper Engine is killer, but does require some mastery of the gravity half pass. I also recently found another wonderful routine on Dan and Dave Buck's website (it's a download called Special K by Will Houstoun). Check out the video, it's a well put together routine.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into it. Does your routine involve the techniques from Special K and in the paper engine? OR does it consist of those and others you have come across?

Dec 18, 2009
Oh also, there is a youtube user by the name of j05hbrand. (his real name is Josh Brand.) Anyways, he has an effect called Refined which is very similar to Special K by Will Houstoun. He teaches a bottom palm, but you can also use an erdnase, cardini, ego, etc. You'll understand what I mean when you watch it ;).

Here 'Ya go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdROx7e_Gjw

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Anyone else use an inversion type of routine? If so, is there a certain patter you use with it? I have been making some notes of ideas I could use for a patter with this type of effect but was curious about other people.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Chad nelson has a very good inversion routine in his "Surfaced" dvd. I use it all the time :).

It is somewhat knuckle busting, but it is a real world routine, you see him perform it for live audiences on the dvd.

Im sure I recorded myself performing it elsewhere...

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Your presentation depends on your character. Say what you want, but don't stray away from the extension of yourself that's performing.

Yeah, I understand that. I was just seeing if you there was a unique patter that people use with this type of trick. I am working really hard to develop original patter. I myself am a funny person so I got with patter that will entertain others. But, as I said before, I am looking for ideas to help me out. I have an idea that I've used but know it can be better.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
As I just said, I do agree with you. Its my opinion that hearing other's patter can help me with me. If it doesn't fit, I don't use it. If its similar, I can take what they say and see if I can tweak it to be my own.

Anyone have an patter for an inversion plot? I would love to hear it.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I won't give you my patter, but here are 5 ideas I've never used and could see working with the right attitudes (whether serious or tongue in cheek).

(Using a card and actually putting it into a different colored deck, perhaps a black backed deck) "Your card is inserted into this black hole...it doesn't belong there, and is sucked in, as it goes it is twisted and if I search through the black hole, voi la! your card has completely inverted itself"

"I will now cause your card to become disoriented" *magician turns deck over, sideways and shakes it up and down* "Look, it is now facing the completely opposite way than all the other cards."

"I did put your card in facing the same way as all the others didn't I? I wasn't paying attention, were you? I did put it the same way, okay, I'll just check that"

"And now I perform the greatest move in all of magic" *magician does 'the wave' with his arms, one way and back across* "Let's see if it worked..."

"I'm not actually a magician, I'm a genie. I can't legally grant wishes anymore after that incident with the government, but I still have phenomenal cosmic powers. Sadly I can only use them to do card tricks..."

Just a few ideas that I rambled off of my head.

I was just seeing if you there was a unique patter that people use with this type of trick. I am working really hard to develop original patter. I myself am a funny person so I got with patter that will entertain others. But, as I said before, I am looking for ideas to help me out. I have an idea that I've used but know it can be better.
All patter that isn't copied from someone else is unique?

There are no limitations to what you say when scripting your magic, some things won't play well with audiences and others will. Some scripts are perfect for a group of magicians, but fail when done on lay-audiences. Some audiences won't appreciate what you say as much as others will.

Finding out who you are as a magician will help drive your presentations, if you want a good lesson in scripting you should buy Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe. It's helped me a lot in the formal sense, but has almost 50 written scripts inside to help you with your magic. :)

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I've had a couple weeks to think about my ideas for an inversion routine. I like CK's Perversion but didn't especially like the 2nd move in the routine in TOOC. I was thinking of keeping it the same except, in exchange for the 2nd move, I could do the one-handed popover from Aaron Fisher.

The reason I say this is I think the routine progresses nicely. 1) you put their card in the middle of the deck and show it has inverted. 2) you shuffle their card in the deck and heir card pops out from the middle of the deck also inverted. 3) you side job their card and have them hold on to it and the whole deck inverts except for their card.

I've been reading Strong Magic but Darwin Ortiz and was trying to utilize that fact that each phase has to be better than the last. Opinions are welcome and needed. Thanks.

~Chris

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
One thing I hate about patter and card tricks is that it seems like you are being condsending to your audience. When you talk about something that is more 'magical' you are treating your audience like they are idiots. Sometimes it can work however when you see poorly constructed metaphores it alienates your audience from you.

Mar 18, 2010
I would try A.F.I. by Dorian Rhodell. It can be found on his DVD Avenue which is sold on DanandDave.com.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results